Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA1175 Emergency Landing 13 February 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA1175 Emergency Landing 13 February 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mr8
...but the HNL based crew said this issue had happened a few times and it's usually a quick fix. I only fly in/out of HNL 3 or 4 times a year, but they made it sound as if it was a regular occurrence.
So this is the only one that made the news?

What "happened a few times and it's usually a quick fix"? A cowling coming off in mid-flight? Someone climbs out on the wing and then onto the engine at 32,000' to fix it with the spare cowling they just happen to carry the hold because it happens so often? I'd like to see that

I've lived here off and on for 57 years. In that time, had an Aloha Airlines 737 pop a top, a United Airlines 747 lose a baggage door and paneling above it, and this. No other cowlings coming off mid-flight to/from Hawaii.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm trying to think of an unexpected example.
757 wake turbulence.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Brick
The loss of the engine on AA191 at ORD was absolutely the result of improper maintenance. Please read the NTSB accident report.

Besides AA191, what other time were DC10s "literally losing their engines" and "DC-10 engines fall off"?
The DC-10 design flaw I think the poster conflates with the engine issue involves the bulk cargo door locking mechanism. An AA DC-10 blew a bulk cargo door shortly after departure from DTW in the early 70s and rapidly decompressed, but landed safely. The Turkish (THY) DC-10 in Paris was not so lucky, as the issue led to a catastrophic structural failure, inflight loss of control and death of 300+ pax and crew. At the time the worst air disaster ever.

Another DC-10 design flaw was the positioning of all three hydraulic lines side-by-side-by-side in the empennage, which led to a total loss of control in UA232 following an uncontained turbine disk failure in the #2 (tail) engine.

No events where DC-10 engines simply “fell off”, to my knowledge, aside from AA191, which was indeed a result of a sloppy engine change practice using a forklift.

Last edited by EWR764; Feb 16, 2018 at 5:26 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764

The DC-10 design flaw I think the poster conflates with the engine issue involves the bulk cargo door locking mechanism. An AA DC-10 blew a bulk cargo door shortly after departure from DTW in the early 70s and rapidly decompressed, but landed safely. The Turkish (THY) DC-10 in Paris was not so lucky, as the issue led to a catastrophic structural failure, inflight loss of control and death of 300+ pax and crew. At the time the worst air disaster ever.

Another DC-10 design flaw was the positioning of all three hydraulic lines side-by-side-by-side in the empennage, which led to a total loss of control in UA232 following an uncontained turbine disk failure in the #2 (tail) engine.

No events where DC-10 engines simply “fell off”, to my knowledge, aside from AA191, which was indeed a result of a sloppy engine change practice using a forklift.
It's been interesting seeing the discussion of AA191 -- but not for the fact that an AA agent moved them up to the next earlier flight after they showed up at ORD a little early that day, my (at that time 3-yr old) wife and her family would have been onboard that day. Scary to think about what could have been, but very reassuring to know that the lessons learned from these events have led to the excellent safety record of modern-day U.S. aircraft.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
It's been interesting seeing the discussion of AA191 -- but not for the fact that an AA agent moved them up to the next earlier flight after they showed up at ORD a little early that day, my (at that time 3-yr old) wife and her family would have been onboard that day. Scary to think about what could have been, but very reassuring to know that the lessons learned from these events have led to the excellent safety record of modern-day U.S. aircraft.
Fascinating. But I note that it never would have been "scary" for you if your then 3-yo wife and family had been on AA191...because you would never have met. @:-)
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Brick
The loss of the engine on AA191 at ORD was absolutely the result of improper maintenance. Please read the NTSB accident report.

Besides AA191, what other time were DC10s "literally losing their engines" and "DC-10 engines fall off"?
Yeah it was definitely improper maintenance practices. I suppose you could stretch it a say a flaw in the design of the maintenance procedures "causing" maintenance workers to find their own faster/cheaper ways to do things.
I remember watching the air disasters episode and that it was the worst accident in US aviation history. I thought at the end, there was a statement that there has never been another similar accident after they made the changes.

Originally Posted by Kacee
757 wake turbulence.
You would think that someone at Boeing would have looked at the wake turbulence during the design and testing of the 757 and seen that it might be an issue.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
It's been interesting seeing the discussion of AA191 -- but not for the fact that an AA agent moved them up to the next earlier flight after they showed up at ORD a little early that day, my (at that time 3-yr old) wife and her family would have been onboard that day. Scary to think about what could have been...
Fascinating. But I note that it never would have been "scary" for you if your then 3-yo wife and family had been on AA191...because you would never have met. @:-)
​​​​​​​I think that is why he said "scary to think about what could have been" instead of "it could have been scary for me to think about"

Last edited by eng3; Feb 16, 2018 at 9:15 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Antony heard anything further about this?? Is the plane still at HNL??
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by cmculp
Antony heard anything further about this?? Is the plane still at HNL??
Yes, it’s still at HNL

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N773UA
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -A United Airlines plane that had to make an emergency landing as it flew to Hawaii last month was about 37,000 feet in the air before its engine cover ripped off, according to a preliminary report by the National Transportation Safety Report.

At around noon on Feb. 13, the Honolulu-bound flight from San Francisco, Calif. experienced an “in-flight separation of a fan blade and subsequent loss of the inlet and fan cowls of the right engine” while descending into the Daniel K. International Airport, the report said.
NTSB: 'Separation of a fan blade' led to engine cover falling of - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Also, A/C flew into SFO from HNL last night after taking a test flight earlier on Monday AM in and out of HNL:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N773UA

David
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Resurrecting an old thread (though perhaps more relevant in light of the UA328 incident last month) to share a phenomenal interview with Captain Chris Behnam, who commanded UA1175 on 2/13/18. If you have an hour to kill, I can't recommend this enough.

It's a tremendous discussion of airmanship, CRM, crew coordination in an emergency, and a rather illuminating look at how close this flight came to a disastrous ending. Kudos to Captain Behnam, FO Ayers and FO Gagarin for their skilled management of a very serious failure, a feat that certainly deserves more recognition.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 11, 2021 at 9:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.