Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Blindsided by claimed "New" Carry-On Policy - only 1 personal item (for 50 seat UX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Carry-on baggage on United Express flights
United Express flights are served by regional partner carriers using smaller aircraft than United's mainline fleet. Aircraft in the United Express fleet generally have less room in the overhead bins for carry-on baggage, and in most cases roller bags and other larger carry-on items will not fit in United Express overhead bins. As a result, you may need to gate-check these items before boarding.

Gate agents will provide green tags for gate-checked items, and baggage handlers will place them into the baggage hold during boarding. You can pick up your green-tagged baggage planeside when you arrive, rather than going to baggage claim. Customers traveling on EMB170, EMB175 or CRJ-700 aircraft may be able to bring roller bags and larger carry-on items on board, as these aircraft offer more overhead bin space.

When traveling on a United Express flight, please make sure to place any medications or other items that you might need on board in a smaller carry-on bag, so you can keep them with you during your flight. Personal vaporizers and e-cigarettes should also be packed in your smaller carry-on bag, as they are not permitted in checked or gate-checked bags.

As on mainline flights, any item larger than the allowed carry-on size or exceeding the one carry-on and one personal item limit will be checked to your final destination. Baggage service charges may apply, and you'll have to pick up these items at baggage claim.

Note: Due to limited overhead bin space, customers traveling on aircraft with 50 passenger seats, such as the EMB 145 and CRJ-200, are allowed one standard carry-on size bag that will be checked at the gate free of charge and one personal item to be taken on board. A second item is only permitted if both items can fit together in the personal item bag sizer located at the departure gate.
UX carriers with Operational Specifications / FAR restrictions concerning carry-ons ( for EMB 145 and/or CRJ-200 )
  • Commutair
  • Trans States Airlines ?
  • Air Wisconsin ?
  • ExpressJet ?
  • ???
Print Wikipost

Blindsided by claimed "New" Carry-On Policy - only 1 personal item (for 50 seat UX)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by LordHamster
#1 reason I became a one bag traveler. I now use my Goruck GR1 for most trips.
I use a backpack (a decent sized pack that can carry as much as a rollar) and a small computer bag.

Only questioned once in my last 10 years. If need be I have all my valuable (and useful onboard) items in the small hand held. And If they accept the backpack but insist on one, I can quickly stuff the bag in the pack (unless this is a long overseas trip when it will not fit).

I prefer to be ready for whatever they insist on, vs trying to fight it.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by saxman66
Air Wisconsin (UX) has this policy as does Envoy (AA). SkyWest does NOT have this policy. I'm not sure of what other's policies are.
In addition to this, I had no problem carrying a carry-on and a backpack both around 8 kgs ( 20lbs ) on a Republic flight this October.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some of the UX carriers' FARs do not allow wheeled items or a second bag as carry-on -- as discussed earlier in this thread. Enforcement is spotty but when enforced some might call it a "power trip."
I had it enforced on me recently. GA apologize and whispered in my ear and said they were being randomly surveilled by management. Great way to empower your employees.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
I had it enforced on me recently. GA apologize and whispered in my ear and said they were being randomly surveilled by management. Great way to empower your employees.
#United
Old May 21, 2019, 4:06 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
New "enhancement" to allow our most valued 1K and GS flyers to show off their fancy yellow handle covers. /s
Old May 24, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
In addition to this, I had no problem carrying a carry-on and a backpack both around 8 kgs ( 20lbs ) on a Republic flight this October.
That's because you were on a ERJ-170 and it has normal size bins. That aircraft doesn't have the same restriction for carry ons as the 50 seaters might have.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Is this new "rule" published ANYWHERE? As someone who often travels with U/W camera gear I'd be livid if they made me check it without any warning.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chavala
Is this new "rule" published ANYWHERE? As someone who often travels with U/W camera gear I'd be livid if they made me check it without any warning.
I totally understand that as that equipment must be very expensive and also not easy to get at your destination.
chavala likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I know, it's only listed in the FARs for each Express carrier, which aren't readily available. Skimming this thread is probably your best bet.
chavala likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As mentioned this UX carrier and aircraft specific but UA does state
United Express flights are served by regional partner carriers using smaller aircraft than United's mainline fleet. Aircraft in the United Express fleet generally have less room in the overhead bins for carry-on baggage, and in most cases roller bags and other larger carry-on items will not fit in United Express overhead bins. As a result, you may need to gate-check these items before boarding.
And this is not a new rule, it has been true (but enforcement varies) for many years.

The CRJ200 or EMB145 are where you need to be asking questions.
Often1 and chavala like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2019 at 11:48 am Reason: aircraft type
Old May 24, 2019, 2:56 pm

As mentioned this UX carrier and aircraft specific but UA does state
And this is not a new rule, it has been true (but enforcement varies) for many years.
The CRJ200 or EMB145 are where you need to be asking questions.
"United Express flights are served by regional partner carriers using smaller aircraft than United's mainline fleet. Aircraft in the United Express fleet generally have less room in the overhead bins for carry-on baggage, and in most cases roller bags and other larger carry-on items will not fit in United Express overhead bins. As a result, you may need to gate-check these items before boarding."

Yes but I would read that as: IF your bag is too big for the overhead or IF there is no longer room. As long as the bag fits in the overhead and the other under the seat, United has a lot of nerve if they're harassing the elites eligible to board early. Let Groups 3, 4 and 5 check their bag if there is no longer room left.
DYKWIA? YUP! But isn't that the whole reason for elite status in the first place?
Old May 24, 2019, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Yes but I would read that as: IF your bag is too big for the overhead or IF there is no longer room. As long as the bag fits in the overhead and the other under the seat, ...
Unless the UX carrier's FARs for an aircraft state otherwise and a few do.

Elite status does not override FARs.
Old May 24, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless the UX carrier's FARs for an aircraft state otherwise and a few do.
Again, the reasoning for this is that the carriers that forbid carry-ons use a lower average weight per passenger in the cabin. Disregarding this order is a legitimate safety issue, as in people have died from bad weight & balance calculations.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Again, the reasoning for this is that the carriers that forbid carry-ons use a lower average weight per passenger in the cabin. Disregarding this order is a legitimate safety issue, as in people have died from bad weight & balance calculations.
OK. That sounds like an excellent reason and I accept it ...as long as I'm not Blindsided at the last moment when it's too late to repack.
There should be a bigger warning somewhere, like on your ticket. Not hidden away in some fine print on the website.
This thread is the first time I've heard of this rule or it being enforced at the gate.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Sorry if I'm missing something here, but how does it make a difference if a 30# bag (to use an outlier for carry-ons) is in the overhead bin or in the cargo hold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.