Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else find the trademarks on United menus super tacky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone else find the trademarks on United menus super tacky?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by 9elf S
It's the prudent way to use other's trademarks from a legal perspective. Someone move this to the, "What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?" thread.
Are you sure about this? Aren't trademark symbols to be used and asserted by the trademark owner?
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dilanesp
There is no "rule" that requires the use of the trademark symbol when it is a fair use. United could not be sued for infringement if it removed them.

It is possible that the contract with the vendor requires the use though.
Please read what I wrote. There is not a remote suggestion that there is any such "rule". I said that any "marginally sane legal department....." There is a distinction and I made it for a reason. These are business-to-business transactions between businesses which all are trademark holders themselves.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:18 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Anything published in Japan does not need to follow U.S. copyright rules, just as anything published in the U.S. does not need to follow Japanese copyright rules. (This assumes the documents in question aren't intended for sale in the other country.)
The question is whether UA needs to plaster those (R) registered trademark symbols all over the document. This has nothing to do with copyright.

The document in question is not itself a document for sale. It is not even involved in the selling of goods because it's a listing of what is about to be served for free in an airplane. The question is whether UA needs to so aggressively put (R) symbols all over it, or are covering their asses or something.

Even if there were some legal question, you can quickly find online that there are recommendations that you do not need to repeatedly put the (R) symbol where it has been mentioned / shown once already. Companies owning the trademark need not even put the mark if they don't want to.

By your logic (which I have no idea what point you're debating), every newspaper business article mention of anyone's brands would need to be plastered with (R) symbols.
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2018 at 2:59 pm Reason: Discussion the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
There is no "rule" that requires the use of the trademark symbol when it is a fair use. United could not be sued for infringement if it removed them.

It is possible that the contract with the vendor requires the use though.
Not sure I understand your reasoning. I'm aware of "Fair Use" as a doctrine applying to copyrights but don't see how that applies when citing a vendor's product in a menu. In the menu, United is citing another vendor's product so I think are required to note when they are using said vendor's trademarked phrases or labels if the vendor requests it. Perhaps there's an IP attorney on this board who could clarify?
Regardless, this is a really petty matter to be griping about.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Wow you guys must be bored today. Why are we talking about this?
krazykanuck and BlueZebra like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Often1
Please read what I wrote. There is not a remote suggestion that there is any such "rule". I said that any "marginally sane legal department....." There is a distinction and I made it for a reason. These are business-to-business transactions between businesses which all are trademark holders themselves.
I mean, legal departments are really cautious, which is fine, but it is totally sane to advise United that there is no infringement if you don't use the symbols. It is black letter law that descriptive uses of trademarks are fair.

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Not sure I understand your reasoning. I'm aware of "Fair Use" as a doctrine applying to copyrights but don't see how that applies when citing a vendor's product in a menu. In the menu, United is citing another vendor's product so I think are required to note when they are using said vendor's trademarked phrases or labels if the vendor requests it. Perhaps there's an IP attorney on this board who could clarify?
Regardless, this is a really petty matter to be griping about.
https://www.inta.org/TrademarkBasics...demarksNL.aspx

And yeah, I've litigated trademark cases. They come up in my area of practice. I have even asserted a fair use defense in them before.
chrisny2 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2018 at 7:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Too bad that “Least Substantial” thread is closed. This is something I may notice if my IFE and phone were dead on SFO-SIN and to pass the time I decided to count the number of letters on the menu.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:38 pm
TA

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Wow you guys must be bored today. Why are we talking about this?
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Too bad that “Least Substantial” thread is closed. This is something I may notice if my IFE and phone were dead on SFO-SIN and to pass the time I decided to count the number of letters on the menu.
Originally Posted by 9elf S
It's the prudent way to use other's trademarks from a legal perspective. Someone move this to the, "What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?" thread.
I'm pretty sure the bulk majority of threads in UA forum, or many other of the FT airline forums for that matter, could be considered "the least substantive thing" when viewed by someone outside from an objective point of view.

Lack of wine in business class? Flight delayed by 2 hours? Upgrade didn't clear?

Everyone has their thing they might want to shoot the bs about. So just let people entertain themselves as long as it's reasonably airline-related. Sometimes, the argument is the fun part of the journey...
chrisny2 and BlueZebra like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
What on earth is Canadian Club whisky doing on a premium liquor list ??

FWIW here in Canada we consider this to be nothing more than sewage water, usually served from a paper bag in a back alley. Absolute low grade rot gut.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by donFlier
Relevant pic attached. This feels super tacky to me and totally ruins any sort of premium feel for menus especially in business or first.
Having a “premium feel for menus” is a major criterion for selecting the airline I choose to fly.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:14 pm
TA

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Having a “premium feel for menus” is a major criterion for selecting the airline I choose to fly.
You can tell it's premium because the wine selections are Red AND White!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS777

FWIW here in Canada we consider this to be nothing more than sewage water, usually served from a paper bag in a back alley. Absolute low grade rot gut.
In the US anything foreign is premium. Or suspect.
AlwaysFlyStar likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Surely you mean Canadian Club® Whisky.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
LOL.......I don't know how to make the trademark symbol on my computer.
AlwaysFlyStar likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:38 pm

LOL.......I don't know how to make the trademark symbol on my computer.
Copy and paste it from another post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.