Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Want to use UA benefits (E+ access, CPU, bag allowance, boarding group, ....) but credit flight to a partner program.
Best to wait until you have a BP and then at the airport use a kiosk to change to the program you wish to credit.
Should be able to keep seat assignment but if you use an airport agent to change the crediting program, there is a chance the agent will undo the E+ access or CPU
For multiple segments, this gets tricky as crediting is done post-flight (but not immediately) and changing programs (such as back to UA for a second flight) before you confirm posting can lead to unpredictable outcomes.

Related thread
Ability to Change MP Number on UAL.COM Removed {Now back @ checkin???}
Print Wikipost

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
Question FQTV/FQTS on UA?

I have UA Premier Silver status but I am in the process of switching to OZ as my earning program. I have a few upcoming flights on United metal and I would like to use my Premier silver benefits on them while crediting the miles to OZ.

From my research so far, it seems like the best way to do this is to:
- associate my premier silver number with the boarding pass and complete check in with it
- after check-in closes, ask the gate agent to change the FF number to my OZ number

I have a few questions about this:
1) Has anyone done this on United? Lots of reports on LH but haven't read anything about United post-merger
2) How do complimentary upgrades factor into this? If I upgraded to first and check in, and then change my FF number, will I get bumped back into economy?
3) Should I call the Premier help desk to change the FF on my itinerary or ask the gate agent?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chronicrelief
FQTV/FQTS on UA !
UA does not support this

Originally Posted by chronicrelief
From my research so far, it seems like the best way to do this is to:
- associate my premier silver number with the boarding pass and complete check in with it
- after check-in closes, ask the gate agent to change the FF number to my OZ number
Doing this what an agent could lead to the agent removing your from E+ and re-issuing the BP losing BG2

Best to do this on an automated terminal at the airport

Will move this to a thread with similar discussion to let you review their experiences
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
By automated terminal I assume you mean a check-in kiosk? So I would have to make FF change before check-in closes, and I'm basically hoping that the automated system doesn't kick me out of E+. Reading through some of the previous replies, it seems like some check-in kiosks don't allow you to change the FF number after check-in...

Last edited by chronicrelief; Jan 16, 2019 at 11:34 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Must Mileage Plus number remain on reservation to retain Economy Plus seats?

I am Premier Gold, after successfully completing a status match from Delta last fall. I am already thinking I won't fly 50K miles this year and am looking at going for Gold with Aegean, which has lower thresholds.

I am flying on a rather long trip tomorrow on Lufthansa and United and have Economy Plus seat assignments on the United segments. At this point, I don't think there is much point to crediting the flights to Mileage Plus, however my question is: if I put my Aegean number on the reservation (can this even be done after check in?), do I get kicked out of Economy Plus? Also, do I lose the free bag if the MP number isn't on the reservation? I can use my Mileage Plus electronic card for lounge access right?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kahuna613
I am flying on a rather long trip tomorrow on Lufthansa and United and have Economy Plus seat assignments on the United segments. At this point, I don't think there is much point to crediting the flights to Mileage Plus, however my question is: if I put my Aegean number on the reservation (can this even be done after check in?), do I get kicked out of Economy Plus? ...
Not automatically but in conditions of an aircraft change of irrops you may.

....Also, do I lose the free bag if the MP number isn't on the reservation? ..
Yes but you may be able to get the counter agent to accept you card and waive the bag fee YMMV
....I can use my Mileage Plus electronic card for lounge access right?
This gets tricky. Most lounges want to use the BP, but LH generally will accept the electronic card. UCs will be more problematic -- as UA *G do not have access with a BP with UA *G. Some UC agents will require you to change to the UA MP account for entry (if on an international flight) Again YMMV
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:51 am

Using benefits of NH *G while accruing miles on UA *S

I checked in on a UA flight using my NH *G and got a group 1 boarding pass, then I asked the checking counter to change my FF number to my UA *S. When I tried to board, the boarding pass reader showed that I’m group 2 and the gate agent did not let me board with group 1 (I even had my NH card on hand). I contacted UA customer care and was told that if I’m accruing with UA, I can’t use my benefits on NH *G.

Is that true? I’ve always thought that elevate benefits are separated from mileage accrual, as in that I can use the benefits of one program while accruing miles on another one (mostly based on previous experiences and discussions like this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1562147-can-i-accrue-one-alliance-program-enjoy-benefits-another-2.html).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Upgrade/change FFP

Hi experts

I was wondering if after an upgrade as a silver for instance you try to change FFP to a non UA ...what happens in the current system?do you loose the upgrade even if you already hold the BP?

That is for upgrades to C.
But about if you had a E+ seat?is there any warning coming to the agent if you want to change to a non UA FFP when you request this with a BP?and you will get automatically a E- seat?

thanks
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
If you're in the 24hr window and have checked in already and chosen an E+ seat (that's not usually talked about around these parts as an "upgrade"), the system itself shouldn't kick you back out unless there's an aircraft type change, which can happen. If seats are automatically reassigned, your E+ seat could be gone.

I'm not sure the check-in system will let you change FFPs once you're checked in, but I've never tried. It might work if you check in again, but that process might also see you're not qualified to be in E+ for free and then request money for the seat.

If you do try this, please report back as to how it goes.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Thank you for your inputs.
I will try it and see which situation will happen more frequently.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:19 pm

Change of FFP - CPU

Hello All,

A bit of background... I have an upcoming UA flight that was booked by corporate travel. I didn't realize at the time, but they inputted my UA MP # into the reservation (I've been accruing mileage in a different program recently).
I only just noticed since I managed to get a CPU (a rarity on this route, which I fly often).

What happens if I change my FFP at the airport kiosk? I assume the CPU will be rescinded?

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
What happens if I change my FFP at the airport kiosk? I assume the CPU will be rescinded? ....
You should be OK as long as an agent isn't involved.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You should be OK as long as an agent isn't involved.
I see, so they're supposed to take back upgrades?

I seemed to recall that for E+, you weren't moved back to regular Y if you changed FFP.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I seemed to recall that for E+, you weren't moved back to regular Y if you changed FFP.
Policies change.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Policies change.
Fair enough.

So I take it, current policies are if UA premier # is removed from booking, any associated perks (E+, CPU etc.) will be also removed?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I still have yet to see a recent way to change your FF# at the kiosk. If you figure it out please share instructions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.