Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question about times/time changes listed on e-mail confirmation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Newb question. I thought it might be TravelBuzz, but wasn't sure if it was just how United did things so I thought I'd start here. I'm basically looking for confirmation as I haven't flown outside of this hemisphere in nearly 20 years.

So I got one of those United e-mails alerting to a "change" in my reservation. I think it's just leaving 10 minutes earlier on my return trip. No biggie. But, in looking at my e-mail, the times do look weird and I wanted confirmation. I booked with points, departing on Asiana, returning leg on United. It says Asiana operated on all segments (even the United one coming back).

Departing, it's a redeye at 11:30 PM on Thursday from SFO. It says I arrive 4:30 AM on Friday to Incheon. Well, that's just not physically possible with today's commercial aircraft (no way an a350 is flying from California to Korea in 5 hours). My connection from there (ICN - KIX) says Sat afternoon, as expected.

That's just a weird (United? Asiana?) way of listing times for flights? I mean, I get if they try to stick to the original time zone, but it's throwing me off a bit.

My return flight says departing Fri in afternoon and landing Fri morning, which matches the time/day according to the time zone the plane is in, so it's not following the original time zone. This way makes the most sense to me, which is why the first part threw me off.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Could it be arriving at 0430 on Saturday? You lose a day going westbound across the date line. That sounds more like the correct date/time.

The return flight listing sounds fine.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by codex57
Departing, it's a redeye at 11:30 PM on Thursday from SFO. It says I arrive 4:30 AM on Friday to Incheon. Well, that's just not physically possible with today's commercial aircraft (no way an a350 is flying from California to Korea in 5 hours). My connection from there (ICN - KIX) says Sat afternoon, as expected.
4:30a+2
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Departing, it's a redeye at 11:30 PM on Thursday from SFO. It says I arrive 4:30 AM on Friday to Incheon. Well, that's just not physically possible with today's commercial aircraft (no way an a350 is flying from California to Korea in 5 hours).
Because of timezones that would be a negative flight time, not 5 hours.

You're arriving Saturday morning at 4:30am.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Could it be arriving at 0430 on Saturday? You lose a day going westbound across the date line. That sounds more like the correct date/time.

The return flight listing sounds fine.
Originally Posted by malgudi
4:30a+2
My understanding is I'm supposed to arrive 0430 on Saturday. Hence the ICN-KIX connection Sat afternoon. I did book over the phone, but the initial e-mail after booking listed the correct date upon arrival (doesn't have the day of the week, even though the departing time did include the day of the week; ie depart Thursday, Feb. 10 at 11:30 PM and arrive Feb. 12 at 4:30 AM).

So, just some weird glitch with them saying Friday?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:50 pm

My understanding is I'm supposed to arrive 0430 on Saturday. Hence the ICN-KIX connection Sat afternoon. I did book over the phone, but the initial e-mail after booking listed the correct date upon arrival (doesn't have the day of the week, even though the departing time did include the day of the week; ie depart Thursday, Feb. 10 at 11:30 PM and arrive Feb. 12 at 4:30 AM).

So, just some weird glitch with them saying Friday?
I'm lost here. Can you post the mail snippet?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

OZ211
Thu., Mar. 22, 2018 11:30 p.m.
San Francisco, CA, US (SFO)

Fri., Mar. 23, 2018 4:30 a.m.
Seoul, KR (ICN - Incheon)

I tried to format as best as I could. It looked fine when I copied and pasted, but after posting, it got all weird shaped.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Original e-mail:
Thu, 22MAR18
OZ211
X
SAN FRANCISCO, CA
(SFO) 11:30 PMSEOUL, REPUBLIC OF SOUTH KOREA
(ICN - INCHEON) 4:30 AM (24MAR)

Flight operated by ASIANA AIRLINES.
Sat, 24MAR18OZ114XSEOUL, REPUBLIC OF SOUTH KOREA
(ICN - INCHEON) 2:10 PMOSAKA, JAPAN
(KIX) 3:50 PMA-330Flight operated by ASIANA AIRLINES.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Almost certainly a glitch displaying 3/23 not 24. I have had all kinds of weird similar issues with schedule change notification emails on the rare occasions UA bothers even to send them. Did you check the reservation on the app/site to see if it shows 3/24 as the arrival day in ICN?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's just a weird (United? Asiana?) way of listing times for flights? I mean, I get if they try to stick to the original time zone, but it's throwing me off a bit.
Times are always displayed in the local time zone. 4:30 AM Friday in ICN is 12:30 PM Thursday PDT -- 11 hours before your departure. It's a mistake in the email, plain and simple. You'll be arriving at 4:30 AM Saturday, 13 hours after departure, as you suspected.
codex57 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This is still happening. I'm flying from SFO to NRT in "-55 minutes". I'm also not getting a meal in Business.

I looks like this is only a problem with the system that constructs the data for the email message which seems to be ignoring the date change and also not picking up meal information, as the data is all correct when I look it up online.

Just a formatting problem with the email message.
codex57 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.