Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR-SFO two flights with close departure time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Plat

Departures of UA900 and UA949 (LHR-SFO) are only two hours apart and before noon. I know UA has limited slots. LHR-SFO used to have an afternoon departure around 2pm. Seems LHR-LAX now takes that slot.

Why would United schedule two SFO flights so closely? BA has two daily flights and departure is about 4 hours apart.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:24 pm

There are probably two connecting banks at SFO for those arrival times.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat
The also do this EWR-LHR with only 45 min in between! I think it's a bit silly but maybe they don't have any big a/c available?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
The also do this EWR-LHR with only 45 min in between! I think it's a bit silly but maybe they don't have any big a/c available?
There's no aircraft in UA's fleet with twice the capacity of a 764.

Furthermore, this is the offseason for NYC-LON travel. However, slots at LHR are precious, and if UA were to try to operate fewer flights during the offseason, they'd lose the slot -- permanently. They're essentially required to run the flights, and they're limited as to when they can run them because slots are assigned with a given time window. So, you end up with winter schedules that are designed to cause as little overall harm as possible so that they retain the ability to make money during the profitable summer schedule.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jsloan
There's no aircraft in UA's fleet with twice the capacity of a 764.

Furthermore, this is the offseason for NYC-LON travel. However, slots at LHR are precious, and if UA were to try to operate fewer flights during the offseason, they'd lose the slot -- permanently. They're essentially required to run the flights, and they're limited as to when they can run them because slots are assigned with a given time window. So, you end up with winter schedules that are designed to cause as little overall harm as possible so that they retain the ability to make money during the profitable summer schedule.
Then why not fly 752s instead of 763s during the slow season (at least for EWR)?

David
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Then why not fly 752s instead of 763s during the slow season (at least for EWR)?

David
They have in the past, IIRC. However, they may have found it's more profitable to use the 752s on the ps routes and the 764s to LHR than vice versa. Or perhaps TATL traffic was slightly less down this year than it has been in the past. I know there were a lot of complaints about 752s TATL because they tended to need to make a fuel stop in Canada on the westbound flight during the winter, but I think LHR-EWR is short enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

The one thing I'm sure of, though, is that running one large plane instead of two small planes -- OP's suggestion -- would be a big problem due to slot utilization rules.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jsloan
They have in the past, IIRC. However, they may have found it's more profitable to use the 752s on the ps routes and the 764s to LHR than vice versa. Or perhaps TATL traffic was slightly less down this year than it has been in the past. I know there were a lot of complaints about 752s TATL because they tended to need to make a fuel stop in Canada on the westbound flight during the winter, but I think LHR-EWR is short enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

The one thing I'm sure of, though, is that running one large plane instead of two small planes -- OP's suggestion -- would be a big problem due to slot utilization rules.
Naw, UA just needs to buy and fly a stratolaunch and it alone will take two slots at LHR

David
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
High rates of diversions and minimum fuel declarations.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
And I just remembered they do the same at OGG occasionally. Although IIRC that has to do with the short runaway length. When I was there, the red-eyes were only an hour apart. I remember vividly bc I switched from the early to the later.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
The morning IAD-LHR flight is a 757 and that route is about 200 miles longer than EWR-LHR.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
Not this again...

752 has no problem from the UK.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:54 pm

Frequency is great. Business travelers love the options. My most frequent route (non UA obviously) is PEK SHA. I rarely fly the flight I booked. I get there, go to the standby counter and take the next flight. The fact that it runs every 30 mins is fantastic. Sometimes they run every 15 mins. If an airline offered hourly frequency only, I would not fly that airline. And I pay full fare tickets for all my PEK SHA flights so I can easily make these changes.

So I think there is a premium that business travelers will pay for the frequency. That may not be why UA runs them so close together, but I have to think the benefit of it is part of the calculation somewhere.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Frequency is great. Business travelers love the options. My most frequent route (non UA obviously) is PEK SHA. I rarely fly the flight I booked. I get there, go to the standby counter and take the next flight. The fact that it runs every 30 mins is fantastic. Sometimes they run every 15 mins. If an airline offered hourly frequency only, I would not fly that airline. And I pay full fare tickets for all my PEK SHA flights so I can easily make these changes.

So I think there is a premium that business travelers will pay for the frequency. That may not be why UA runs them so close together, but I have to think the benefit of it is part of the calculation somewhere.
They had a shuttle like that on Iberia, Madrid-Barcelona. You bought your ticket, you showed up, they put you on the flight you reserved or the next one leaving (which meant less time in their lounge....).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
FWIW there's also two relatively close daily flights SFO-PVG (857 departs around 1:20-1:40pm; 891 departs around 2:30-2:50pm) while on the return leg they are about 12 hours apart (890 departs 12:15-12:45am; 858 departs 1:15-1:45pm).

My guess is that is has to do with connection times and airplane utilization/servicing needs. But that's just a guess.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
This truly annoys me as I would rather catch the LHR-LAX flight but the time it leaves is 2.10pm which is just a horrible time. I would rather catch a morning flight so catch one of the LHR-SFO flights (which ever is less expensive) and then connect to SAN. However, if I do not want to leave until the afternoon I catch the NZ flight at 3.30pm as it is a bit later than the UA flight as it gives me an extra 75 minutes in the city. It really boggles my mind that when they reduced the LHR-LAX flights from two flights to one flight they chose to keep the two LHR-SFO flights both in the morning and put the LHR-LAX flight in the afternoon, so LHR-SFO (am), LHR-SFO (am) and LHR-LAX (pm). I am no scheduling expert but find it hard to believe that it would be too difficult to make the order LHR-SFO (am), LHR-LAX (am) and then LHR-SFO (pm). However, obviously I do not understand the needs for the rest of the West coast customers.

I was one of those who got caught when they did have two LHR-LAX flights and was on the morning flight and then they reduced the flight to one and I got stuck on the afternoon flight - but only that one time. Hate the LHR-LAX pm flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.