Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
They're not targeting the customer who purchases $700 RT TPAC fares with this product. I mean, they wouldn't mind turning a $700 sale into a $1400 sale or whatever, but it's not their target market. They're targeting business travelers who can't justify J and people who are already traveling on S+ fares, not K/L fares.
Yeahhhh.... but at least TPAC, they're going to have to be very careful. I can't disagree with your logic either, but given the prevalence of sub-$3k fares from certain markets, and broad availability of slightly-more-than $3k fares from a lot of markets, that's creating a very very tiny needle for them to thread. Maybe I'm privileged and jaded, but it seems to me that the number of business travelers for whom a $700 -> $1400 jump would be permitted, but a $1400 -> $3000 jump would not, for a flight of 10+ hours, is probably a small subset indeed. Or, for that matter, the number of travelers who are shopping for cheap J or PE flights, and don't have any alliance loyalty, that wouldn't then just book on PR or HX or any of the other 2nd-tier carriers where you can fly ok "true" business class for as little as $2200.

If you're correct on your pricing predictions, I think it's going to become a primarily-well-heeled leisure traveler phenomenon. Not to say that business travelers would NEVER book it, if their only option is a major US carrier in Economy. Just that there's an awful lot of alternatives for people who have that kind of money to spend, without firm restrictions on spending even a little bit more...
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
The problem for UA is that unlike CX and SQ (both of which have good Y product in this market, better by far than UA's E+ product)
Would I prefer the UA/AA PE seat to the SQ seat, yes.

C'mon, now. Pick a position and stick to it.

The example of getting the exit row on OALs and comparing that to UA Y is cute. But not realistic. And Cathay is moving reasonably quickly to 10-abreast Y on the 777s, just like UA.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12

One comparison is to E+, the other is to PE, there's no inconsistency there.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:41 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
So how many different “classes” and boarding groups is United planning to have on international routes...?

Polaris “business”
Premium Plus
Economy Plus
Economy
And Basic Economy?

I’m wondering if “premium plus” will be a soft product in economy plus seats at launch where pax who paid up can board earlier, get their meals and drinks first (on china dinnerware of course), and get the amenity kit/pillow/blanket? Kind of like what they’re doing with economy and basic economy. Or are they planning to add additional “basic economy” seats too...?
Also thinking that the new boarding procedure they’re testing out in some markets where first and 1Ks get to “pre-board” might put all the premium plus pax in group 1 with the lonely plats?

Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by sbm12

The example of getting the exit row on OALs and comparing that to UA Y is cute. But not realistic. And Cathay is moving reasonably quickly to 10-abreast Y on the 777s, just like UA.
Mduell beat me to the first point, and is correct, I was saying UA/AA PE > CX/SQ, etc Y > UA E+ (in 3-4-3 on the 777;787). A good Y product is for me - for family trips - workable if the PE price spread is too great. UA's new Y product is NOT tolerable, flying them is like booking AirAsiaX or XL or WOW, it is NOT going to happen in Y.

On the second point, I don't like what CX is doing on the 77W, and I will not fly it. That said, they are now flying the A350-9 HKG-SFO, and it is a very comfortable bird. With them, it will be aircraft specific, like it is with ANA (which has a few 3-4-3 77Ws before going back to 3-3-3 for new deliveries).
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: united
I guess I am a little confused by what is "orders of magnitude" better. Using the e.g. that I gave, I can fly on SQ in Y on their 77W, get an exit row seat that gives me 21.3" of seat/arm rest width and 32" of pitch, and if I get an exit row, I get 36" (which I got last time I flew SQ). If I get an upper deck A380 Y seat, I get 23.8" of seat/arm rest. I get similar space on CX/OZ/JAL.

AA is using the same seat that UA is launching on the 787, and it gives 25.4" of width and 38" pitch.

Would I prefer the UA/AA PE seat to the SQ seat, yes. But I don't see if as "orders of magnitude" better.

I do see it as "orders of magnitude" better than the new UA 777 seats which give 19.4" of width and only 34" pitch in Y and is physically uncomfortable to sit in for an hour, let alone 14+ hours. I will fly the SQ/CX/JAL/OZ Y seats, while I will not fly the new UA Y seats that are that narrow. So price matters if UA wants my business (especially when I am on a personal trip) vs taking OALs in Y or PE; price really does not matter vs. UA Y as I will not take it, period.

P.s. and to put a fine point on it, for a personal trip with the family, I would pay $200 or so more/ticket to fly the new UA PE vs taking SQ/CX/JAL/OZ in Y. If you are telling me that my choice is UA Y on the 777 at 3-4-3 vs. UA PE, well then I am going to pay a whole lot more than $200-300 to avoid UA Y, and I have recently paid $500-600 more to fly PE on OALs vs. UA's Y pricing.
You are stacking the deck with exit rows Most flyers don't get exit rows every time they fly.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Darlox
Yeahhhh.... but at least TPAC, they're going to have to be very careful. I can't disagree with your logic either, but given the prevalence of sub-$3k fares from certain markets, and broad availability of slightly-more-than $3k fares from a lot of markets, that's creating a very very tiny needle for them to thread. Maybe I'm privileged and jaded, but it seems to me that the number of business travelers for whom a $700 -> $1400 jump would be permitted, but a $1400 -> $3000 jump would not, for a flight of 10+ hours, is probably a small subset indeed. Or, for that matter, the number of travelers who are shopping for cheap J or PE flights, and don't have any alliance loyalty, that wouldn't then just book on PR or HX or any of the other 2nd-tier carriers where you can fly ok "true" business class for as little as $2200.

If you're correct on your pricing predictions, I think it's going to become a primarily-well-heeled leisure traveler phenomenon. Not to say that business travelers would NEVER book it, if their only option is a major US carrier in Economy. Just that there's an awful lot of alternatives for people who have that kind of money to spend, without firm restrictions on spending even a little bit more...
If I ran an airline, I would try to roll this out first on the routes with the largest spreads between J and Y fares, such as routes to London.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by dilanesp
You are stacking the deck with exit rows Most flyers don't get exit rows every time they fly.
SQ has 32" pitch. I have flown their Y seat, on the 77W and A380 (upper deck), and I have flown it in both regular and exit rows. Its a perfectly comfortable (and in fact very comfortable on the A380 . ANA/OZ have 34" pitch in Y, and the best economy flight I have ever had was on the upper deck of their A388.

Would I prefer to have a UA or AA (which is using the same seat) PE seat over any of these in Y? Yes, I made that very clear. But there is not some vast difference, its not "orders of magnitude" different. Why? Because I can sleep in any of these Y seats, and my shoulders are not crushed against the person next to me. I would say the same thing about flying on the airbus equipment (340/350/380) on LH, I can manage 12 hours in relative comfort. I've done it, and got off the flight thinking, "that was not bad."

But there are "orders of magnitude" difference between any PE seat and the pick your adjective, cattle car? slave ship? torture tube? seats and restricted space that UA is now offering on its 777s in 3-4-3 with slim-lines and only 4" of recline, even with the 34" pitch E+, and the almost as bad 787s.

You can't just assume that the price difference ought to be the same between UA crappy Y and UA PE and OALs better Y and the PE, the market dynamics will be different due to the "vest difference" between UA Y and PE.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by mr8
So how many different “classes” and boarding groups is United planning to have on international routes...?

Polaris “business”
Premium Plus
Economy Plus
Economy
And Basic Economy?

I’m wondering if “premium plus” will be a soft product in economy plus seats at launch where pax who paid up can board earlier, get their meals and drinks first (on china dinnerware of course), and get the amenity kit/pillow/blanket? Kind of like what they’re doing with economy and basic economy. Or are they planning to add additional “basic economy” seats too...?
Also thinking that the new boarding procedure they’re testing out in some markets where first and 1Ks get to “pre-board” might put all the premium plus pax in group 1 with the lonely plats?

Technically, there will only be four classes, here are their official names:

Polaris® business class
United Premium Plus®
United Economy Plus®
United Economy®

It’s also important to remember that outside of the US Transcons, the only difference between Econ + and Econ is legroom and recline.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Technically, there will only be four classes, here are their official names:

Polaris® business class
United Premium Plus®
United Economy Plus®
United Economy®

It’s also important to remember that outside of the US Transcons, the only difference between Econ + and Econ is legroom and recline.
Should also have 'United Business®?' for (formerly) p.s. / CAN+MEX —?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Should also have 'United Business®?' for (formerly) p.s. / CAN+MEX —?
Of course, for domestic flights within the US, the premium product is “United First” and on international non-Polaris routes, three cabin domestics, and ps transcons, it’s “United Business”
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Bear Backers
where can you buy business for $2200.00. Would love to find someone offering that from sfo to lhr.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by oskidunker
where can you buy business for $2200.00. Would love to find someone offering that from sfo to lhr.
With patience, you can usually get to Europe for that price point. MAN was $2,050 from SFO last year.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
What is MAN?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oskidunker
What is MAN?
...chester, UK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.