Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Cabin Etiquette --economy vistors in the premium cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Cabin Etiquette --economy vistors in the premium cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I had a similar discussion with the wife recently. She was proposing a "family" trip where we took our adult daughter, husband, and their two kiddos off for a flight. (Translation from wife-speak to English: "How about you shell out the money for a weeks vacation for 6 since they are young, just starting out, and have 2 kids." )

I said I would think about it but they would have to, "sit in the back of the plane." Of course the wife wasn't impressed by that remark, but figured the grand-kids (2 and 6 at this time) could wander up and visit. I said no way, Jose to that one while explaining that it doesn't work like that. Of course she questioned me as to why not, and what would it hurt? Which of course lead me to explain this exact topic to her: Cabin Etiquette.

She was not impressed, so I suggested she could also sit in the back.

Thankfully my couch is pretty comfortable, which is why I bought it.

I think a lot of this type of behavior comes from those who rarely fly. Mix that with how the young adults/kids are today and you end up with people who have no respect for boundaries, let alone proper etiquette with what is acceptable and not in particular social situations. Within their own peer groups there is a lackadaisical attitude towards certain etiquette in a more formal situation. To them it is just a curtain, nothing more.

Now I'm not saying that all of that generation has those values, far from it. I have met some wonderfully genuine, humble folks who are well versed in such situations. It's their peers who ruin it for the rest of them, just as was done with each generation to their parents. Slowly but surely more boundaries erode over the generations, and I'm not looking forward to what is coming.

Going back to the trip the wife wanted to take (which we are not doing), as much as I love the little ones to death, I also know exactly what type of situation they would create. I'm willing to tick the wife off a bit in order to prevent that from happening. If she decides that either the kids can wait and stay in the back, or that she's willing to ride back there with them, then that is fine. However I'm not willing to allow a situation unfold which would not only be an inconvenience to other passengers in the cabin, but an embarrassment as well. That just isn't right.

Of course I may overthink such things, but hopefully I'm not alone in my principles.
Full disclosure. I am female. I found the above post rather amusing.

But let me explain why. We have family members who want us to pay for their airfare. It is not my first choice, but sometimes you say yes to keep the peace and make your own life more comfortable.

(PS - above poster, care to recommend your sofa brand to my other half?)

Having said that, my offer to the family was this. Me and Mr. Aquamarine will fly up front in business/first. You and yours will fly in economy. After we board, we probably won't see you again because it's not a good idea to wander outside your cabin space, but we'll all be reunited on the ground when we reach our destination. It's only a few hours. I don't know about you, but I can live that long without seeing someone on a flight.
sstcobra, mmack, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I was sort of facing this situation flying back from Auckland at the end of the month. Me in business and my 30 y.o. son(on an insanely cheap ticket I bought) in coach. I thought about it and did the sensible thing- I upgraded him. We aren't sitting near each other but we don't care - he will need to sleep to head to work the following morning. We can talk in the lounge beforehand.
IF he comes to speak to you would it be as objectionable as if he came to visit you from Y?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I was on TLV-EWR, seatmate had family in the back. After meal, he went back and daughter sat in his seat for a bit. After he returned, wife came up for a visit. Excellent F/A firmly, but humorously sent her packing. I was quite grateful, probably wouldn't have said anything.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Had this happen on FRA-SFO. Parents splitting baby duty which is totally understandable but when the husband thought he could spend the entire flight chatting with his wife from the aisle when I was trying to sleep I told him to move back to his seat. He tried to argue with me in French pretending not to speak English but unfortunately for him I am fluent. Sorry but some of these trips cost 10k and I am mostly paying for peace and quiet. I don’t get people that think they can inconvenience others on any form of shared transportation or that being separated for 10 hours is the end of the world.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
IF he comes to speak to you would it be as objectionable as if he came to visit you from Y?
We are on different trips ending in the same location. He's a firefighter who will be heading to 24 hour shift when we get home. I'm pretty sure he'll be sleeping and I hope I will, too. Had he been in Y, I would likely have gone back once to see him and that would have been all. In order to put him away from the galley and the lavs, he's in one part of the business cabin and I am in the other.

Hmm, this is the first time we have been on the same flight in about 8 years, I think. That was before I could afford to fly business anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I blame FAs for allowing it. VX F FAs don't allow long visits and are or were proactive about it. One quick visit in F is fine but then it's just too long!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:45 pm

"What started out as cute..." Everyone has a different tolerance..... if you REALLY want the FA's to be aware that YOU have reached the "enough" point... TELL THEM. They aren't mind readers... and if it was obvious - at first - that 'everyone" thought it was "cute"... then that compounds the problem. Personally I'm the type to have a word myself..... but if you are not prepared to do that...at least TELL the FA's you have concerns.. THEN there is no mistake, no misunderstanding.... but this "say nothing then complain" is pointless...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by snowed
I told him to move back to his seat.
LOL nice. I would say the same. The OP's account is painful but if he didn't speak up it's a meaningless post.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ou81two
The FA's can't do anything unless you complain. Their jobs are tenuous and they can be lost if picking a fight with a passenger.
On United? It has been noted many times on this forum that United flight attendants are often ... inconsistent .. in the application of any number of rules and/or policies. But FAs often remind us that their "primary job is (our) safety". At least insofar as enforcing the airline's FAA-approved safety regulations, I don't believe I should have to complain about a fellow passenger doing something that is explicitly disallowed during certain phases of flight.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
Two years ago on FRA-EWR, elderly seatmate had his daughter visit him a few times. After 3rd visit over a few hours, FA merely asked if they could go back to the galley adjacent to the bathrooms to chat. I found this a perfectly acceptable solution.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by snowed
Had this happen on FRA-SFO. Parents splitting baby duty which is totally understandable but when the husband thought he could spend the entire flight chatting with his wife from the aisle when I was trying to sleep I told him to move back to his seat. He tried to argue with me in French pretending not to speak English but unfortunately for him I am fluent. Sorry but some of these trips cost 10k and I am mostly paying for peace and quiet. I don’t get people that think they can inconvenience others on any form of shared transportation or that being separated for 10 hours is the end of the world.
While I have seen people breaching the holy curtain, I honestly suffer much more from this kind of inconsiderate gabbing within the Business cabin much more.

Example 1: 1A and 5E decide to have an impromptu business meeting near the galley... complete with long personal anecdotes all at full volume... at 4am
Example 2: 1A decides to have a long and loud chat with the FA at what would be 4AM.
Example 3: Flight attendants from the whole plane gather in the galley forward of row 8 on a 777-200 (2 class) and decide to have a full blown birthday party complete with cake, the birthday song, clapping... at 4am.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
One of the benefits to sitting in 1A and 1B as we do is that on a configuration with two J cabins, the Y class bathroom seekers never make it up front, as there is a lav further back, and most of the paid J pax also sit up front as well.

My anecdotal experience sitting in the back J cabin is that the amount of intrusions, for all reasons, are much more frequent than in the front.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
Originally Posted by LordHamster
While I have seen people breaching the holy curtain, I honestly suffer much more from this kind of inconsiderate gabbing within the Business cabin much more.

Example 1: 1A and 5E decide to have an impromptu business meeting near the galley... complete with long personal anecdotes all at full volume... at 4am
Example 2: 1A decides to have a long and loud chat with the FA at what would be 4AM.
Example 3: Flight attendants from the whole plane gather in the galley forward of row 8 on a 777-200 (2 class) and decide to have a full blown birthday party complete with cake, the birthday song, clapping... at 4am.
This! I was on an AA 777 (1-2-1 F lie-flat) HNL-DFW and mom sat in front of me with her teen sons next to me. It was a steady stream of "Mom? MOM? MOM!" as the youngster kept thinking of things he needed to ask or tell her. Well, maybe not "steady" but in enough irregular intervals so just when I thought they might be done, another urgent question came to mind. Mom must've had better earplugs than I did.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
You should be able to go back, but not forward.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
You should be able to go back, but not forward.
Disagree. Y passengers have a right to not have the aisle blocked / someone standing over you 23 times too.

I think a short hello is fine, even in F, particularly with small children or first timers - it can be quite cute. Beyond that, I fail to see how any two people can love each other so much that they can't be apart for 2 hours. Love is patient, love is kind, ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.