Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
My reading of the events is that the wait was abandoned at 20 minutes; the wheelchair may not have shown up for another hour if ever at all. Of course we don't know what would have happened, but it seems meritorious of a DOT complaint. The complaint is not a punishment, it's a documentation of an incident.
Right, it's totally logical to assume a wheelchair might never have shown up at ... ORD, at 7:00 am, with a gate agent standing there calling for one.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Right, it's totally logical to assume a wheelchair might never have shown up at ... ORD.
Indeed, ORD, where they put buckets all over the B & C concourse whenever it rains.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Indeed, ORD, where they put buckets all over the B & C concourse whenever it rains.
The question is whether they put buckets out within 20 minutes of the rain starting.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UK Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I think the point that @Kmxu was trying to make was that that's not a normal ratio of ETC to miles. Normally the ratio is 1:50, so a $200 ETC would have an associated mileage offer of 10k miles. Or, 20k miles would have an associated ETC offer of $400. @deepakvalecha can you confirm that you actually received an offer of $200 ETC or 20k miles? ^
Sorry - my bad. My schedule was crazy - got back to BOM last weekend and flying stateside again tomorrow! Heres the 2 interesting data points:
1 - Colleague is AI Gold / Star Gold - Was offered 10k miles / $200 ETC. He chose ETC.
2 - I waited to hit Gold from Silver (happened today thanks to pending ORC) - My offer is 15k miles / $300 ETC. Not sure what to pick. I rack up miles flying anyway so leaning toward ETC.

Recap of issue - incoming EWR-BOM diverted to Canada for medical emergency, then back to EWR, resulting in 12+ hour delay of our BOM-EWR flight.

Last edited by deepakvalecha; Sep 21, 2018 at 1:26 pm Reason: interesting!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
The question is whether they put buckets out within 20 minutes of the rain starting.
And if not, whether or not that contributes to excessive wheelchair demand.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Out of curiosity, what flight number was that? And was it this past Sunday?
Sorry, just saw this question: UA 3479 August 26
P
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus - Executive Club
Do guys want to hear something funny?

I'm on the plane from TLV to SFO, sitting in Polaris Business, went to use the bathroom. As I open the door, an FA kicks the door back to my nose, and I bleed everywhere, she keeps on going with the food as nothing happened. Another FA saw it and just gave me a tissue. What would you do? Is it a normal thing? Or am I crazy?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:02 pm

Perhaps she didnt realize the severity or see the bleeding. If she saw it all, then it seems strange not to divert her full attention to you.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:19 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Right, it's totally logical to assume a wheelchair might never have shown up at ... ORD, at 7:00 am, with a gate agent standing there calling for one.
I realize you don’t believe this. I understand that. You have made that quite clear. Having been in this position more than once myself, I can tell you that the wheelchair failure to show up at all does happen, no matter how many calls are made. It can happen at any time of day at any airport.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Having been in this position more than once myself, I can tell you that the wheelchair failure to show up at all does happen, no matter how many calls are made.
So (serious question) what happened when the wheelchair never showed up?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:08 pm

Just had my flight canceled from AUA-IAH due to crew issues. We were put up in the Ritz Carlton (score!), however they only provided a $10 credit for dinner and $10 for breakfast that has to be used at the hotel. The issue is that the cheapest entree is over $40. Any recommendations on requesting additional comp for food? No way $20 covers anything. I am 1k and already offered $275, should I just write in and request the additional based on what was spent? I am at a bit of a loss because last time I was put up in EWR, I was given $75 to eat at a Holiday Inn..
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
You stayed at the Ritz for free but want another $20 for breakfast? This is why we can't have nice things.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus - Executive Club
Originally Posted by .Benjamin.
Do guys want to hear something funny?

I'm on the plane from TLV to SFO, sitting in Polaris Business, went to use the bathroom. As I open the door, an FA kicks the door back to my nose, and I bleed everywhere, she keeps on going with the food as nothing happened. Another FA saw it and just gave me a tissue. What would you do? Is it a normal thing? Or am I crazy?
Corporate offices called me. Offered me a $200 vaoucher, I politely asked for a GPU. And they agreed.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:27 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by threeoh
So (serious question) what happened when the wheelchair never showed up?
You rely on the kindness of strangers to help you. In the OP instance while traveling with someone it’s a bit easier to have someone you know find a wheelchair and act as your wheelchair pusher. Sometimes you can get a captain or flight attendant or service director to do the same. If it is the old style I can transport myself once I have the chair. I had to do that at BQN. If it is the newer style you just have to find someone with a kind heart. There are many people who will step up fortunately. Before my injury I would.

Last edited by Pat89339; Sep 23, 2018 at 1:41 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
So this was the first time this happened to me...flying the morning BUR-DEN flight today; breakfast was granola, yogurt, banana, croissant, nuts. After everyone had finished eating, the purser comes around and tells us that they are proactively giving us compensation because the nuts (which were walnuts, to be specific) were apparently not up to internal standards. I was a bit surprised, and as far as I can tell, I haven't had any adverse gastrointestinal (or other) reaction since then. I was offered 6,250 miles or $125 on the spot...I took the voucher. Hurray(?)

ETA: Because it seems like they were valuing the RDM at 2c/mile, I took the cash because even though I can probably redeem the miles for more value, I have a giant pile of miles - 6,000 doesn't really move the needle. At least $125 gets me closer to PQD target (although realistically, I probably am not making 1K next year...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.