Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Very sad to think this is the current state of affairs. If today's MEL-LAX was cancelled because the LAX-MEL flight was cancelled and did not arrive, then UA had ample time to make alternate arrangements, espc. for GS / paid business class pax. Surely those arrangements might include MEL-SYD-LAX or QF MEL-LAX. A $300 e-cert is certainly modest compensation, but it is the same as I received a while ago for a roughly similar delay situation. I am only 1K though.
Seems SYD-LAX was cancelled on the same day too. My MEL-LAX flights (twice last 6 months) have been on time, so hope this not a winter time trend.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bobosing
My flight of MEL-LAX was cancelled due to aircraft maintenance for today 7/14. They could have gotten me out on the 13th - different route (longer-thru hk) but was not offered it and did not find out about it until to late to get to airport. Was only offered the flight for 7/15. Customer care offered 15K or $300 e-cert. It was a paid business class seat and I am global services. That seems light?? What is fair. Also when they called to advise- as they knew in advance the flight was going to be cancelled (the LAX-MEL flight had not happened also due to aircraft maintenance) there was no mention of hotel compensation? Would appreciate your thoughts. TIA
So light as to be insulting, IMO. A few weeks ago I wound up with $300 in certs after a mechanical cancel and resulting ~3 hour delay for a 400 mile flight -- flexible Y on a 1-class RJ. I would expect the loss of a full day, in paid J, on a flight nearly 20 times as long to be significantly more "mea culpa"-reflective -- only possible mitigation is if you were on some dirt cheap fare.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
only possible mitigation is if you were on some dirt cheap fare.
I'm probably biased, in that I prefer to fly for as little as possible, but the disruption one suffers has nothing to do with the fare paid. I've taken multiple flights where UA has, for one reason or another, essentially paid me to fly. That's their problem, not mine. Compensation offers based on status, I understand (although, even as a 1K, I don't necessarily agree with -- same concept; non-status travelers' time is valuable too). Compensation offers based on the fare paid, I don't.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
same here, appears someone set the wrong flag
So is Customer Care the best/only other alternative since PremierVoice doesn't seem to be working?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm probably biased, in that I prefer to fly for as little as possible, but the disruption one suffers has nothing to do with the fare paid. I've taken multiple flights where UA has, for one reason or another, essentially paid me to fly. That's their problem, not mine. Compensation offers based on status, I understand (although, even as a 1K, I don't necessarily agree with -- same concept; non-status travelers' time is valuable too). Compensation offers based on the fare paid, I don't.
This is very egalitarian, but airlines aren't really trying to compensate anyone for their inconvenience or lost time; they're simply making customer-service gestures. That being the case, it makes sense that people with status and/or those on higher-priced fares get higher comp.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:40 pm

UA33 7/14 NRT-LAX cancelled due to mechanical issues. Was put in a hotel overnight an hour from the airport and booked on flight the next day (bus class). PP status, paid business class ($6k), offered $400e cert/20k miles. Seems light? Worthwhile seeing if they will offer more or just take what they have offered?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtake
Seems light?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

That seems exceptionally generous to me, but your opinion is really the only one that matters. I've yet to hear about them yanking back an offer when someone asks politely about an increase.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
UA33 7/14 NRT-LAX cancelled due to mechanical issues. Was put in a hotel overnight an hour from the airport and booked on flight the next day (bus class). PP status, paid business class ($6k), offered $400e cert/20k miles. Seems light? Worthwhile seeing if they will offer more or just take what they have offered?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

If you read post # 326, you will see someone else was offered 15K miles or $300 e-cert in similar circumstances.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
If you read post # 326, you will see someone else was offered 15K miles or $300 e-cert in similar circumstances.
Yes, $300 is standard for a 1K forced overnight.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:05 pm

I did, but I considered my situation different -- we sat on the plane for 3 hours before disembarking to wait another hour before they cancelled the flight, then had more time wasted with long waits for CS and bus rides to/fr hotel.

Post 326 sounded like the cancellation occurred long before departure since the poster mentioned he was called by United and had the option of flying the day before if they had offered him that opportunity

Since he never went to the airport, I would have considered my situation to have been more "inconvenient" and perhaps due greater compensation.

Given the compensation people receive for delays and entertainment problems, compensation for flight cancellations seem under valued.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I did, but I considered my situation different -- we sat on the plane for 3 hours before disembarking to wait another hour before they cancelled the flight, then had more time wasted with long waits for CS and bus rides to/fr hotel.
That's not how UA views these. They operate over 4600 flights, transporting nearly half a million passengers, per day. This one goes in the box marked "Forced overnight; long-haul international; business class; Premier Platinum." That would ordinarily get comp in the range of $250-300 (or 12,500-15,000 miles). You did well in relative terms.

You can always write customer care and plead your case for more. Maybe they give you something additional, maybe not.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:45 pm

Given the compensation people receive for delays and entertainment problems, compensation for flight cancellations seem under valued.
People on this thread tend to agree with you that forced overnights and non-functioning lie-flat equipment don't get enough compensation relative to burnt-out reading lights. However, we don't set the compensation scheme at United.

And be careful what you wish for, the solution could be to lower comp for minor issues.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I certainly agree with you, particularly in view of the amounts handed out for EU 261 compensation, and in the VDB thread, to attract volunteers for flights a few hours later.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:41 pm

No reading lights on overnight IAD to AMS flight. United proactively offered $100 ecert or 5k miles compensation. Nice of them, but not having to read my book by flashlight would have been nicer.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Taipei
Seems SYD-LAX was cancelled on the same day too. My MEL-LAX flights (twice last 6 months) have been on time, so hope this not a winter time trend.
I had a very cynical view of the cancelation, as I was on the 7/14 SYD->LAX flight that was also cancelled. My colleagues and I joked it must have been lightly loaded. But someone found the next day why that flight could not make it:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...g-engine-fire/

So for that reason I guess i can understand why they were down a 787. I was immediately rebooked on the SYD->SFO flight, no issues at all. I also have a compensation email, but I haven't gotten around to clicking it yet to see what they are offering. I'm guessing 10k RDM or a $250 cert. In the end I got to DEN at about the same time, so no harm I guess.

Not sure what was up with the MEL flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.