Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:01 am

So 2 travelers PHL-DEN, flight delayed takeoff due to thunderstorms in area 1.5 hours. Lands in Omaho to refuel. End result is they miss the last flight of the day DEN-JAC. UA has no availability to JAC or IDA (a 2 hour drive away airport) for 3 days. So they fly to SLC the next day and then drive 5 hours to JAC. Total delay is 22 hours. No status, newbie flyers.

What should they expect for compensation?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
What should they expect for compensation?
Nothing; UA will disclaim responsibility due to the weather. They are entitled to a refund of the fare from DEN to JAC, which will likely be calculated either based upon the ratio of the full fares: Y fare DEN-JAC / (Y fare PHL-DEN + Y fare DEN-JAC) or the ratio of the distances; I forget which. If they can document a different fare differential, they can presumably argue for that instead.

They can request the refund through https://united.com/refunds . If this is the outbound of a round-trip ticket, they should wait until they get home before requesting the refund. Also, in that case, they need to make sure that UA is aware that they drove and cancels that segment from their itinerary, so that they won't have any problems checking in for their return flight.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott PPE now demoted to Gold, United Gold
Flight on Sunday May 6th. DEN to NRT to MNL (RT business all 4 legs $6800 tl cost of tickets) United Gold, almost Platinum

3+ hr delay out of DEN, equipment issues, boarded, deplaned. they found us another plane, flight was good, but then missed connection in NRT

United comped hotel and buffet dinner/breakfast, but that involved going thru customs, shuttle ride, etc. So this doubled my 18hr travel day into 36 hr travel to just get to MNL.

United sent email and offered 175.00 ETC which I took and then sent well written message to united cares and after a couple of days. Their response is below

"I'm sorry you were dissatisfied with our goodwill offering via our United Care website.

Please know I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your flight. I've taken your initial feedback and forwarded it on for review, so we can continue to improve. While I'm not able to increase the compensation, I'll also pass along your additional concerns about the amount issued to you. Please know we'll continue to work on streamlining our operations, and hope to be your airline of choice."

EDIT ***** About 5 days later a followup from united after my original ask was declined they are now giving me 5000 miles, so that is something.

Last edited by Gombu; Jun 5, 2018 at 6:31 am Reason: update from united
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by ryman554
I'm also not sure why they didn't rebook you via LHR. That flight left at 10pm.

or via CPH leaving at 11:30pm

or (on oneWorld via LHR) leaving at 9:35pm.

All of which are 2+ hours after your DUB flight.

It always pays to have a backup plan if things go south, or are looking to go south. The minute you start having mechanical delays (and rolling delays), then you need to get to a CSR / on the phone and get a different routing.
Backup plans are great things and in a perfect world they are unnecessary! Unfortunately, sometimes even the most seasoned of travelers don't always have them. After all, what could go wrong on a nonstop?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: United 1K; HHonors Diamond; IHG Spire
UA Platinum. On track for 1K.

First Day: ALB-IAD-IAH: Mechanical Delay on ALB-IAD -- would've got me into IAD after the last IAD-IAH, so they had me stay overnight in Albany. Hotel voucher for a Holiday Inn Express. No Food Voucher.
Next Day: ALB-ORD-IAH. Got upgraded ALB-ORD (nice). Arrived ORD to be greeted by a text from United saying Mechanical Delay ORD-IAH.

So....got home 15 hours later than expected because of not one, but two mechanical delays.

E-Cert: $200.
Delta Status Match is looking better each day.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
My Gold SO had a 5.5 hour delay on a transcon due to weather. Got the customer appreciation email before even before she finally took off. $150 E-cert.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Flight 1600 EWR-LAX on 6/24/18. Flight delayed 4.5 hours due to non-working air conditioning. Boarded and taxied, then deplaned while being fixed.

Non-status traveler on H Class ticket. Customer Care proactively deposited 5,000 miles in MP account today..

Last edited by milesmilesmiles; Jun 26, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
...Non-status traveler...
Was this for you, or someone else? Your profile says "UA Premier Silver" (and, if it matters to you, you have your Hilton and UA info in the "Location" section rather than the "Programs" section)
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
UA222 delayed 6 hours yesterday due to weather in ORD and a late inbound. Before we took off, sent the United Cares email, and received a choice of $125 or 6250 miles as a 1K.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Was this for you, or someone else? Your profile says "UA Premier Silver" (and, if it matters to you, you have your Hilton and UA info in the "Location" section rather than the "Programs" section)
It was a family member.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
My Gold SO had a 5.5 hour delay on a transcon due to weather. Got the customer appreciation email before even before she finally took off. $150 E-cert.
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
UA222 delayed 6 hours yesterday due to weather in ORD and a late inbound. Before we took off, sent the United Cares email, and received a choice of $125 or 6250 miles as a 1K.
United is compensating for weather now? When did that start?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile ORD-TPA No IFE-Streaming Video Movies, etc.

Oh Wise UA FT Sages,

ORD-TPA in paid First Class, both of us are 1Ks and the plane (737-900) had non-functioning IFE-Streaming Video which they announced as we were lined up to board.

I was invited to take the survey after the flight and mentioned the non-working IFE. After three days I got no feedback from UA. I emailed 1KVoice to complain today (6/27). Is 1KVoice still functioning ? I ask as I usually get an email acknowledging my email with a case number within a half an hour. However that did not happen today.

Does a broken IFE on a Domestic Flight even rate a response/goodwill compensation from United these days ?

Your keen responses are appreciated.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh Wise UA FT Sages,

ORD-TPA in paid First Class, both of us are 1Ks and the plane (737-900) had non-functioning IFE-Streaming Video which they announced as we were lined up to board.

I was invited to take the survey after the flight and mentioned the non-working IFE. After three days I got no feedback from UA. I emailed 1KVoice to complain today (6/27). Is 1KVoice still functioning ? I ask as I usually get an email acknowledging my email with a case number within a half an hour. However that did not happen today.

Does a broken IFE on a Domestic Flight even rate a response/goodwill compensation from United these days ?

Your keen responses are appreciated.
most reports are positive that if you write in some sort of compensation is granted. You should've received a confirmation email as well if you don't hear back in the next day or two I would resubmit
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Thanks Flying Machine !!!!! The thread seems to be heavily weighted toward Flight Delay Compensation. Our flight was one hour late due to weather, but considering the T-Storms, I was most impressed with the way they got us to TPA with only an hour delay.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by joe_miami
United is compensating for weather now? When did that start?
Regarding flight 222 yesterday, here's the info from the United flight status website. According to this info, it wasn't a weather related delay, but due to a "late inbound aircraft", so the fact that there may have been weather at ORD (or maybe the OP was implying the weather was in SFO because that's where the plane came from?) may just be a coincidence.

And looking at the incoming flight 734, it was delayed due to "operational difficulties", so no weather related delay there either.

Interestingly enough, both flights departed about 4 hours late, but the inbound landed almost 5 hours late, and flight 222 arrived almost 6 hours late...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.