Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Gold
Yesterday, April 13th, UA 956 5:55pm got cancelled at around 9pm after multiple maintenance delays.. My wife is 1K and used her miles for her mom in Polaris business. No pre-departure drinks, no other drinks or food while sitting on plane for almost 3 hours before they finally deplaned at 9pm. No one offered anything.. FA and GA didn't seem to want to help anyone and sent everyone to the Customer Service desk to rebook. MIL had to wait another hour to retrieve her checked in luggage and I picked her up so she can sleep at home instead of hotel. Ended up getting home at midnight. My wife was told she can call the 1k line since she has status and file a complain. What is a reasonable compensation here?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Is it up to the customer service agent whether to give miles or ETC? I wasn't given a choice.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by flyguy6
Is it up to the customer service agent whether to give miles or ETC? I wasn't given a choice.
i'm not so sure of your question, however if you wrote in to customer service and they gave you miles you can reply back to the same email and request an ECERT if you were given miles and vice a versa. Good luck and safe travels
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:07 am
TCG

UA808 Cancelled Mech Delay 48 hours

Hi,

I have an industry contact who attempted to fly on UA808 Tuesday April 3, and the flight was cancelled after several hours taxiing due to a mechanical issue.
He was put in a hotel and booked to fly 24 hours later on a new flight number but it turned out to be the same aircraft with substantially the same issue and cancelled again.
Again, another hotel until he was able to fly out on Thursday April 5 on that day's UA808.

UA did get him to his destination but with 2 nights hotel and 48 hours delay, but has not been proactively communicating any compensation or follow up recognition of their problem.

Is compensation to be expected in this case? or is this the type of service we should be expecting?

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

i'm not so sure of your question, however if you wrote in to customer service and they gave you miles you can reply back to the same email and request an ECERT if you were given miles and vice a versa. Good luck and safe travels
Ok that answers my question. I was recently given a ETC but was wondering if I would ask for miles instead. I'd prefer miles since I can keep them from expiring.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyguy6
Ok that answers my question. I was recently given a ETC but was wondering if I would ask for miles instead. I'd prefer miles since I can keep them from expiring.
If you deploy the ETC effectively, you can generate miles from their use, and thus get both miles and travel credit. It doesn't work the other way around.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: various
deleted

Last edited by jiejie; Apr 15, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TCG
... Is compensation to be expected in this case? ...
There is no mandated or statutory compensation (such as in Europe EU 261) under USA laws (and appears not under China rules either) but it is UA's practice to provide some compensation.

The housing and food should be covered by the airport team and post-flight the passenger (generally by email) will be provided an offer or voucher for a future flight or miles if they have a UA MP account. It will be base on ticketed cabin and status.

If not email has been received (was an email address attached to the ticket) then you can try the UA compensation site or sending a message to United directly. See the wiki of the new thread for the contact info.
I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

What is the Customer Appreciation website / united.com/unitedcares ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.
A double cancellation is such a rare event it will be hard to predict in advance what the offer will be but this clearly a case (based on info provided) where such an offer will be made.

Will merge this with the master Compensation thread where you can see offers for lesser situations.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 15, 2018 at 12:50 pm Reason: contact info
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TCG
Hi,

I have an industry contact who attempted to fly on UA808 Tuesday April 3, and the flight was cancelled after several hours taxiing due to a mechanical issue.
He was put in a hotel and booked to fly 24 hours later on a new flight number but it turned out to be the same aircraft with substantially the same issue and cancelled again.
Again, another hotel until he was able to fly out on Thursday April 5 on that day's UA808.

UA did get him to his destination but with 2 nights hotel and 48 hours delay, but has not been proactively communicating any compensation or follow up recognition of their problem.

Is compensation to be expected in this case? or is this the type of service we should be expecting?

Thanks
I received proactive offer of $200 ETC for one cancellation at PVG. I also wrote to Customer Care, asking and receiving additional $300 ETC. I spent nearly four hours on plane, two hours on immigration and another hour to hotel.
You should write to Customer Care. Good luck.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Premier Platinum. Booked a flight to the international gateway city (EWR) with a two hour layover. Mechanical delay at the origin causes a three hour delay resulting in a misconnect for a once per day flight. UA provides hotel and a whopping $30 in food vouchers for a 24 hour delay which covers little at EWR OTG. No proactive compensation is provided of course.

Upon complaining about the 24 hour delay to arrival at the final destination the compensation is $250? Seems light for a whole day-long delay?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmr12
Premier Platinum. Booked a flight to the international gateway city (EWR) with a two hour layover. Mechanical delay at the origin causes a three hour delay resulting in a misconnect for a once per day flight. UA provides hotel and a whopping $30 in food vouchers for a 24 hour delay which covers little at EWR OTG. No proactive compensation is provided of course.

Upon complaining about the 24 hour delay to arrival at the final destination the compensation is $250? Seems light for a whole day-long delay?
Sounds in line with normal. Someone without status might have had as little as $100 or $150 in compensation. There is a funny ramp and plateau in compensation: small things get a seemingly disproportionately high credit, while larger things are only barely higher. If you complain more vociferously, you may (probably will?) get more. You also might form a reputation for yourself.

Originally Posted by fumje
How long should it take for me to get an email with the ETC when FA documents an issue with the hand held phone?
I forgot to follow up on this. The original email never appeared. After three or four days I emailed, and then there was a confusing back-and-forth, during which a new ETC was issued. OK.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
How long should it take for me to get an email with the ETC when FA documents an issue with the hand held phone?
I'm way late on this but it should be near instant if the wi-fi works (heh ) and the Link is connected to it. If it wasn't, there is one step that FAs need to do when they hit the ground, and in all honesty, I've forgotten to do it myself before. Thats when things get messy and I'm not sure what happens.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington
I'm way late on this but it should be near instant if the wi-fi works (heh ) and the Link is connected to it. If it wasn't, there is one step that FAs need to do when they hit the ground, and in all honesty, I've forgotten to do it myself before. Thats when things get messy and I'm not sure what happens.
Thanks for the insights. Hah, I think the wifi actually was not working—ironically that was not directly part of the issue—and who knows if the closing step on arrival was remembered. Personal moral: just set a calendar reminder for myself to check up afterward.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Another ORD-LAX with kaput WiFi ... another $125 ETC ... this occasion was on P fare ... last week Z ...
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:27 pm
FTA

My ticket was booked under someone else's Mileage Plus account. I was offered an ETC for some issues. I asked if I could get miles instead and United replied saying no as I don't have a Mileage Plus account. If I signup for MP now can I then get miles instead of ETC? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.