Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:07 am

8 hour delay turned into a cancellation and a rebook onto AA with a connection on Austin to SFO, 150 ETC for my self (1K) and friend on the same flight 100 ETC (Gold).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm a little dissapointed at the 1k compensation these days. In the previous years, offered a little token of compensation no matter how small the problem. Proactively offered no compensation the last 3 times writing in about small but irritating problems that have occurred from an unscheduled seat swap while booked in Polaris, ORD club hours wrong on the website and app (this one they didn't really even read through the email and misinterpreted what I was saying although they did try to call me), miscatered flight where IAH-SFO didn't have any snacks for sale. Should I even bother asking specifically for compensation? Or just let it go and solidify my thoughts on why I may not be flying them as much in the future.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Just adding my two cents. Four hour mechanical delay plus a cheese snack box instead of the advertised dinner service (might have been the DEN catering issue although the flight was XXX->DEN). Total compensation $100 ETC for each of us (myself plus MM companion). We were both 1K when the ticket was booked but Platinum when flown and complained. Pretty lousy given that I've gotten $150 for a three hour mechanical delay a few years ago and no meal issue.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:38 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
$300 electronic voucher offered for AVOD that quit half way through SFO-HKG flight. FA tried resetting it twice. It’s nice that the email comes right away.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by bmr12
Just adding my two cents. Four hour mechanical delay plus a cheese snack box instead of the advertised dinner service (might have been the DEN catering issue although the flight was XXX->DEN). Total compensation $100 ETC for each of us (myself plus MM companion). We were both 1K when the ticket was booked but Platinum when flown and complained. Pretty lousy given that I've gotten $150 for a three hour mechanical delay a few years ago and no meal issue.
My daughter and son-in-law was delayed by 4 hours yesterday on UA724, HNL/SFO , due to late arrival of incoming crew. Both do not have status, but each were only given a $125 E-voucher as compensation. Just last year, I, as a 3MM 1K , was given $200 for a 3 hour mechanical delay.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
17 FEB BWI-IAH wifi inop for duration of flight. Direct TV bird, so entertainment was there to pay for.
Wrote in to customer care and received 5000 miles. Would not have minded an ETC, but was not offered.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
17 FEB BWI-IAH wifi inop for duration of flight. Direct TV bird, so entertainment was there to pay for.
Wrote in to customer care and received 5000 miles. Would not have minded an ETC, but was not offered.
From my experience if you reply back to the same email that you had received the offer asking if it would be possible for some sort of dollar off Compensation instead United will probably offer you a $100 he certificate instead
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Reasonable comp for 4+ hour UA domestic flight due to mechanical problems?

(First post!)

UA Gold member traveling with UA Silver member juvenile on 1/3/18. ROC --> ORD --> SFO

United is offering each PAX $75 for a 4+ hour delay in ROC due to mechanical problems. Flight was scheduled to depart at 17:15, but delayed until 21:58. PAX were denied meal vouchers and weren't offered any snacks or beverages while waiting. While we made our connection in ORD, we *barely* made it after running between terminals.

After writing in, Customer Support offered to bump compensation up by adding 2,500 "Goodwill" miles to each account.

What amount seems reasonable, and if it's more than what they are offering, how can I convince them to up the comp?

Thanks Flyers!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2018 at 1:05 pm Reason: merged to master thread
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by UERintheHouse
(First post!)

UA Gold member traveling with UA Silver member juvenile on 1/3/18. ROC --> ORD --> SFO

United is offering each PAX $75 for a 4+ hour delay in ROC due to mechanical problems. Flight was scheduled to depart at 17:15, but delayed until 21:58. PAX were denied meal vouchers and weren't offered any snacks or beverages while waiting. While we made our connection in ORD, we *barely* made it after running between terminals.

After writing in, Customer Support offered to bump compensation up by adding 2,500 "Goodwill" miles to each account.

What amount seems reasonable, and if it's more than what they are offering, how can I convince them to up the comp?

Thanks Flyers!
Welcome to Flyertalk! Quick question you said you barely made your connection in ORD, was that the original connection and you had arrived home at the same time regardless of the delay at the origination?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, UERintheHouse
Originally Posted by UERintheHouse
(First post!)

Thanks Flyers!
Nowadays, 4 hours delay to the destination is the general min for any delay comp. 3 or 3.5 hours get nothing
And since you seemed to make your connection, you are probably lucky to get anything.

But if you had a destination delay (rescheduled connection) $75 +2,500 miles is probably the most a Silver will get and Gold probably not much more. The levels are way down for years past.

Only you can decide on "reasonable" but you can see the history of others by scanning this thread
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Welcome to Flyertalk! Quick question you said you barely made your connection in ORD, was that the original connection and you had arrived home at the same time regardless of the delay at the origination?
Thanks for the welcome! I've been a long-time lurker, but finally couldn't find the answer to my question!

Great question. No, we were originally supposed to have a 58M layover in ORD connecting to an 18:55 flight arriving SFO @ 21:35. Instead, we were rebooked onto a flight that got us into SFO at 2AM, which is obviously a particularly brutal time to arrive with a wired 11 y/o kid. I suppose it's worth pointing out that my friend who was supposed to pick us up at 10PM, ended up needing to sleep, and I had to take a $50 cab ride home.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
PAH-ORD
8hr 40min delay due to mechanical issues. MP Gold email offer on landing $100 or 5k miles. Seems pretty disappointing given length of delay figure I’ll email to see if I do better.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
Email got an extra 3,500 in miles after having taken the e-cert for $100. Seems crazy the IFE compensation vs 8 hour delays but it is what it is and nothing is truly required.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: delta united
Unhappy United compensation questions

Hi guys, new here. I flew united in January and have been requesting compensation for what feels like years. I would love advice on what I should realistically expect given my soon to be mentioned circumstances-my experiences were not good and I have been in contact with united about this far too many times for my liking via phone, twitter, and email..

My flight was from Minneapolis to Dublin with a layover in Newark. I ended up being stuck on the tarmac in MSP for 4 hours. Two mechanical issues, three de icings, and a gas up later we took off. I had not a single united employee on that flight that was able to direct me towards my next steps if I did indeed miss my connecting flight. I went to my usual gate-the plane was gone and was shuffled around by every single united employee I spoke with (at least 6 different people in different areas), I actually had a woman tell me " I have better things to do and I am going to be awhile (as she is about to help one guest), you need to go to the other service area." So I did and the line was insane so I headed back to this original one, she then shouted over her customer "You really should take care of this on the phone, its better if you call." So I did this while waiting in line-explained my situation via tele and was told I needed to take care of this in person. I also requested compensation at this time and it never actually happened. I eventually did get taken care of by another employee and was spoken maybe one sentence to the whole time. I had to ask what she was doing (I asked kindly I promise) and when I requested food vouchers for my time I was ignored. She handed me my ticket and I shuffled to the gate as quickly as I could. Turns out my 13 hour travel destination turned into a 24 hour one and I had an extra layover in London LHR. While I am very appreciative I made it there, the amount of money I had to spend rearranging my entire evening was an upwards of $300+ and I was offered one thing and one thing only after talking with 8+ united employees and it was a $50 miles voucher. I have the choice to fly whomever and have dealt with delays before that have been less severe and have received significantly higher compensation. The lack of education, the attitude, hours lost, and inconveniences this cost me deserves more then a $50 miles voucher. That is not enough to make me want to fly United ever again. I am reaching out in hopes of better compensation-even if its more mileage.

Any help on what to do would be super appreciated. I have emailed called and tweeted (mostly emails at this point as they turn me down on the phone).

Thank you all Kindly for listening!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
If multiple contacts yielded only the $50 offer, that’s probably all you’re going to get at this point. It sounds like most of the initial delay was weather-related (i.e., the three de-icings).

How much did you pay for the ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.