Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United fares to Europe high?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by joelax
I have made this exact trip before for $2,300 in business (though I don't remember how far in advance I booked it). That aside, my point is that those are the prices you get even if you're trying to book an economy ticket on UA.com. I'm juxtaposing the fact that the cheapest price in the "Business" column for the non-stop outbound flight is ~$1,600, but the cheapest ticket in the "Economy" column on return flight is ~$4,000. That's just not normal in my experience. But perhaps that's the result of UA wanting to charge at least $4,000 for that itinerary (whether in economy or otherwise), as others have pointed out.
Right, so the idea is that the booking engine determines that the cheapest way to fly in Business from EWR to TXL when routing the nonstop outbound is to fly EWR-TXL-FRA-EWR. This is actually done with ZX7RC0E EWR to FRA, which allows a free stopover in TXL. The outbound fare component is about $3,000 including taxes and YQ. The UA website takes roughly half of this and shows it as the price from EWR to TXL (as this is "half the journey"). The "return" is now TXL-FRA, the other half of your outbound fare, plus the second fare component FRA-EWR (which is another almost $3,000). The website combines the second half of EWR-FRA with the full FRA-EWR and shows you the ~$4,300.

If you do anything else on your return segment, it invalidates the outbound. Instead it needs to use D6RC0E, the cheapest actual fare to TXL, which is about $4,345 on a half-round-trip basis. So it would show your other choice as adding ($4,345 - $1,600 [what you already selected] + any actual return fare component).

It's a bit screwy, but what price should it show for EWR-TXL?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
It's a bit screwy, but what price should it show for EWR-TXL?
Inside 7 day Advance Purchase? I'd expect at least seven grand RT.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Inside 7 day Advance Purchase? I'd expect at least seven grand RT.
The question is, what price should it show for EWR-TXL when it is pricing it as part of EWR-TXL-FRA-EWR?

My answer is, "not $1600." The best answer is probably "$6000," as it should assume Business on the return and price the entire roundtrip instead of trying to show one-way prices. Since that doesn't seem likely to happen, the next-best answer is probably $3000 -- the entire outbound fare component to FRA -- or $2800 or whatever you would get if you prorated the fare based on distance.

These threads come up every couple of weeks. They rarely came up under the old design -- at worst, you'd get a question about "why is EWR-TXL-EWR thousands of dollars more than EWR-TXL-FRA-EWR?" Sadly, displaying one-way prices instead of round-trips (à la Google Flights, Matrix, etc) is a time-honored deception within the airline industry. I'd argue that this "quarter-round-trip pricing" is particularly deceptive, but it doesn't look like UA is motivated to change it.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I'm looking at EWR-TXL from this coming weekend through on or about the last weekend in February. On UA.com, I can see a business ticket for as low as $1,695 departing next Friday on the non-stop. But the cheapest economy ticket coming back any day during last week of February costs $4,200 (with a connection...). I fly quite a bit to Europe and have never had this happen before. Any idea what might be driving this crazy pricing? Is my best bet at this to book with a A* partner instead of UA and then credit the miles to my UA account?
It's just UAs normal pricing system. [Make a large spinning pricing mosaic board, blind fold a person, hand them a dart, have them throw a dart. (the spinning board ensures the pricing will always be different and unrepeatable)]
I have good pricing by looking at EWR - DUS and taking the train.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
The question is, what price should it show for EWR-TXL when it is pricing it as part of EWR-TXL-FRA-EWR?
What it "should" show is a purely theoretical and irrelevant question, since the website doesn't actually show the true fare for that portion of the itinerary most of the time, despite appearances. And what it actually does show often bears no relation to the actual fare for that segment (or segments).

So the most sensible answer to OP's question is to forget about pricing for EWR-TXL, because that's not the way the fare actually works. In these circumstances, since OP is not looking, for example, to combine a P and W, it only makes sense to discuss pricing in the context of the full roundtrip fare, which as previously stated I would "expect" to be at least $7K within the 7 day window. Maybe this particular fare is a bit less than that, but my expectation generally for US to Germany within the 7 day window would be over $7K.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Sadly, displaying one-way prices instead of round-trips (à la Google Flights, Matrix, etc) is a time-honored deception within the airline industry. I'd argue that this "quarter-round-trip pricing" is particularly deceptive, but it doesn't look like UA is motivated to change it.
I think part of it is that they got taken to town domestically by WN. With all one-way pricing, it was completely valid for them to show one-way prices. I know it amounts to the same thing, but I'm impressed at the psychological effect of airfare "feeling cheaper" when you buy two $255 segments instead of one $510 trip. I know I could feel it (despite that being stupid) when they rolled out the new site and switched. I think it's similar to the $x.99 marketing strategy and they felt pressed to adopt it. The segment price is basically correct 99% of the time.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:07 pm

It doesn't help that the search results say: "Fares are each-way​, per person, based on a roundtrip purchase . . . ." In these circumstances, that statement is just flat-out wrong.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:59 pm

What it "should" show is a purely theoretical and irrelevant question, since the website doesn't actually show the true fare for that portion of the itinerary most of the time, despite appearances. And what it actually does show often bears no relation to the actual fare for that segment (or segments).

So the most sensible answer to OP's question is to forget about pricing for EWR-TXL, because that's not the way the fare actually works. In these circumstances, since OP is not looking, for example, to combine a P and W, it only makes sense to discuss pricing in the context of the full roundtrip fare, which as previously stated I would "expect" to be at least $7K within the 7 day window. Maybe this particular fare is a bit less than that, but my expectation generally for US to Germany within the 7 day window would be over $7K.
I think this is on point based on what you and the others have said. I don't really look at (or, to be honest, know how to look at) whether my direct, roundtrip EWR to [insert destination] flight is being priced as if it were a multi-stop flight. But if that's how this particular EWR-TXL flight is being priced, and that's resulting in an unusually high price in my opinion, then I guess it's time for me to look into booking with an A* partner that is not yet in price-gouging mode.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:51 pm

I guess it's time for me to look into booking with an A* partner that is not yet in price-gouging mode.
You will find that all members of the *A TATL joint venture (UA, AC, LH, LX, OS) offer the same fares to Europe. And the main competition (OneWorld and SkyTeam carriers) are usually in the same range. You might find a cheaper close in J ticket on TK, though that's a bit inconvenient for flying to Germany. TP, LO, or SK also may offer cheaper fares. google flights is the best tool for finding these. You may also get a discount through the IAPA if you have AMEX Platinum card.

The basic issue you're running into is that the airlines assume anyone buying within 7 days of travel is a business traveler and thus price insensitive.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:16 pm

You will find that all members of the *A TATL joint venture (UA, AC, LH, LX, OS) offer the same fares to Europe. And the main competition (OneWorld and SkyTeam carriers) are usually in the same range. You might find a cheaper close in J ticket on TK, though that's a bit inconvenient for flying to Germany. TP, LO, or SK also may offer cheaper fares. google flights is the best tool for finding these. You may also get a discount through the IAPA if you have AMEX Platinum card.

The basic issue you're running into is that the airlines assume anyone buying within 7 days of travel is a business traveler and thus price insensitive.
Thanks for pointing out the IAP, Kacee. I hadn't heard about the changes to the program (i.e., discounted fares vs generally useless 2-for-1 deals). I'm going to give them a call.

Edit: I don't mean to derail the thread. But I called AMEX IAP, and they were quoting me a price ~$2K more expensive than the prices on AMEX travel's website for the same itinerary. Conclusion: I'm cursed.

Last edited by joelax; Jan 14, 2018 at 7:54 pm Reason: Additional information:
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks for pointing out the IAP, Kacee. I hadn't heard about the changes to the program (i.e., discounted fares vs generally useless 2-for-1 deals). I'm going to give them a call.

Edit: I don't mean to derail the thread. But I called AMEX IAP, and they were quoting me a price ~$2K more expensive than the prices on AMEX travel's website for the same itinerary. Conclusion: I'm cursed.
make sure you check consolidator fares at the same time. Right now there are a lot of $5k fares to Europe which you can get for $2.1k ... Amex IAP may give you a 10% discount (they don't discount YQ).
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:19 am
dso

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I have a bit of s side-question to this. I understand SNS and R/T requirements....

But I am looking at R/T fares to Europe in business in October - and I get great one-way business at around $2400 (give or take) when it's at least one week (i.e. leaving Wed, returning Wed. Or any other day). However, if I just take ONE day off that - regardless on what end - the prices in business go to near $4,800 (Y seems to stay the same. Why is that? Is that 'normal' or just a glitch or too far out?
I am, in all cases, staying over the weekend (SNS), but unless it 7 days+, fares are more than double to MUC, FRA (all on UA Metal), TXL and others; while this does NOT happen to CDG, AMS or LHR... It looks like 7 days+ I get P class, while 6 days is Z. That's even though it shows Z9 AND P9 in both cases...

Last edited by dso; Jan 15, 2018 at 1:26 am
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dso
... when it's at least one week (i.e. leaving Wed, returning Wed. Or any other day). However, if I just take ONE day off that - regardless on what end - the prices in business go to near $4,800 (Y seems to stay the same. Why is that? Is that 'normal' or just a glitch or too far out?.......
7-day min stays are not uncommon fare rule requirements, another requirement to weed out the business traveler looking for a work week trip vs the leisure travelers staying for a full week or more.
dso likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:31 am
dso

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
7-day min stays are not uncommon fare rule requirements, another requirement to weed out the business traveler looking for a work week trip vs the leisure travelers staying for a full week or more.
Thanks.
The thing is, when I do the same thing in, say, August, or July, I get P fares just fine, with less than 7 days. Once I hit September (and later), nil UNLESS it's 7 days +.....
I was thinking it may just be too far out for these destinations...
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It's still absurd that something like LAX-LHR is $2400+ in E- on a hypothetical Sunday to Saturday itinerary when NZ1/2 same itinerary goes for $700ish.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.