Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com change flight link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:29 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I was surprised when I used SDC yesterday (first time in a while, to be honest) to learn that all segments on your itin have to be within 24 hours. I wanted to change to an earlier itin shortly after check-in, to flights both within 24 hours, but the computer refused.

The agent looked into it and said my original connection was still more than 24 hours out, then apologized and offered to waive the change fee the computer was demanding.

I guess I usually only SDC nonstop flights, but it does complicate things if your entire itin must be within 24 hours to change it, particularly if long flights or connections are involved.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
So last update.
The whole thing was interesting.
I ended up getting a free change from SFO-TLV to an earlier flight from LAX-TLV. No idea how the system let me do that. Even gave me a refund. Could be because H class allows changes?
So I ended up using the sfo - lax leg 2 days after doing SFO-LAS and LAS-SFO, and not leaving a hidden segment.
I got cpus on all 3 of the sdc flights,and an RPU on lax-EWR
I also got significantly more RDMs than I paid for Over 2000 for a $120 ticket as a 1k.
It was all quite stressful though so not sure I would do it again.
Another point for the wiki is that it's quite easy to find SDCs using the browser. In My Trips click on change seats. It will take you to the manage page with an error that it can be done in Online Check In (which is a link) .
Click the link and it takes you to the page where you can SDC with the same options as the app.

Last edited by thedon; Dec 24, 2018 at 9:36 am Reason: Accuracy
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:21 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Here's my latest (from about ten minutes ago) experience with SDC. If you scroll back through this thread you'll see I've had a heck of a time trying to SDC on any of my several past trips. I have never seen the option. Here's what just happened using the iOS app on my iPhone:

1. Tapping on "My Reservations" on the bar at the top of the home screen and bringing up my reservation gave no SDC option.

2. Tapping on the open-folder icon in the top upper-right of the screen and tapping on my itin under "Reservations" pops up the menu with "Travel Options." Alas, no SDC banner to be found.

3. Tapping the three horizontal parallel bars at the top upper-left of the screen and clicking on "My account" under MileagePlus, choosing Flights from the horizontal bar of options, and tapping on my itinerary/record locator displays a "Change flight" option toward the bottom. VOILA! Using "Change Flight" I was able to find a $0 change to the flights I wanted, in P (the same bucket as original itinerary), with no $200 change fee.

The above three steps were all after I had checked in. Before I checked in, I tried the "Change flights" button, but all that was offered were Z class connections with a substantial add collect plus a $200 change fee. P class was showing open in Expert Mode, but only showed Y/YN/B/M/E/U availability in the Economy cabin, and my fare basis was an S-based P fare. That is what still shows available. So, the "Change flight" function via the MileagePlus menu disregarded the fact that the underlying S fare bucket was not available and booked me into P. I just checked, and the lowest fare being offered for sale is still the pricier Z bucket, though P inventory is available.

So, does this qualify as the "Same Day Change" function?

Last edited by wpcoe; Dec 24, 2018 at 9:30 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1984SW
.... So, does this qualify as the "Same Day Change" function?
The waived changed fee is a result of SDC. Change Flight is one way to find SDC options.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:44 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The waived changed fee is a result of SDC. Change Flight is one way to find SDC options.
Hallelujah. (Keeping in spirit with the day. ) So SDC does work.

I was uncertain because using "Change Flight" before check-in only gives offers with a $200 change fee, and other than going via the MileagePlus route I used, I seem to lose the "Change Flight" option after check-in using other methods.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

I was uncertain because using "Change Flight" before check-in only gives offers with a $200 change fee, and other than going via the MileagePlus route I used, I seem to lose the "Change Flight" option after check-in using other methods.
This is when I call in. The SDC options offered via the web site--either as part of online check-in (where if available, it will show as "Other Flight Options" or something like that) or via "Change Flight" within 24 hours--seem to often be poor. I ran into this over the weekend, once after I did 1 SDC and then saw availability on an earlier flight that hadn't been there when I called the prior one in--and the web site simply wouldn't offer it, nor would the kiosks at the airport--but speaking to a rep easily got me switched to it.

Calling in has always gotten the SDC done for me, even a few times when there wasn't specific fare bucket availability (e.g. was booked in P, desired itin was F1 P0).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

Just for reference, here's the flow that I use in the Android app:

1. Home screen
2. Swipe right until reaching the "My Reservations" tab
3. On the flight card, below the mini ad banner that says "Uber to the airport" tap "Check in" or, if already checked in, "More options"
4. On the very next screen, scroll past the flight details to the bottom:

"Switch to another flight" is the thing to look for. "Another" may also say "earlier" or "later" and seems connected to what's available, but not 100% (i.e. I've had it say "earlier" but still present later options or vice versa)

IMPORTANT: per my saga last month or so where I hosed myself out of an F seat (post 1447+), if you pick new flights you must continue all the way until you get a boarding pass, even if you were already checked in to your original flight.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Can you do an SDC on broken segments? I have a ticket next week that I'll need to move down, but the itinerary would not price O/D. As such I got it through the phone with an agent as an unmarried segment. XXX-YYY and YYY-ZZZ instead of a XXX-ZZZ with a connection in YYY.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdbe
Can you do an SDC on broken segments? I have a ticket next week that I'll need to move down, but the itinerary would not price O/D. As such I got it through the phone with an agent as an unmarried segment. XXX-YYY and YYY-ZZZ instead of a XXX-ZZZ with a connection in YYY.
Generally not or, at least, the automated system would likely restrict you to changing in YYY. An agent may be able to override this, but technically theyd be within their rights to charge a fare difference.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

Generally not or, at least, the automated system would likely restrict you to changing in YYY. An agent may be able to override this, but technically theyd be within their rights to charge a fare difference.
i think it depends on how it was booked not sure how the OP defines broken segments.

Ive booked plenty of connections using a multi-city search, say, XXX-ORD-YYY instead of XXX-YYY because UA doesnt always come up with the combinations it should, even when they are perfectally legal and standard <4 hour domestic connections, and have been able to SDC th he entire thing just fine. Typically, with it on one ticket and a regular connection, even when booked as a multi-city, this is considered a standard connection. The caveat, of course, is the fare class for the segments need to be the same, otherwise that is a broken fare and SDC cant handle those changes. Otherwise. It should be able to.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
UA wouldn't sell XXX-ZZZ, so my understanding is that the agent sold me XXX-YYY and YYY-ZZZ in the same PNR. I've done this before for GEG-DEN-YEG, where as UA wouldn't publish a fare, or for GEG-DEN-YVR. But never attempted a SDC.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mdbe
UA wouldn't sell XXX-ZZZ, so my understanding is that the agent sold me XXX-YYY and YYY-ZZZ in the same PNR. I've done this before for GEG-DEN-YEG, where as UA wouldn't publish a fare, or for GEG-DEN-YVR. But never attempted a SDC.
An SDC on a broken fare will require a supervisor override. You shouldn't count on getting it.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Don't think I've ever tried this before. I have round-trip itinerary BKK-SFO. There's one UA segment, NRT-SFO. The return (in February) is NH operated (ticketed as UA codeshares). Will I be able to SDC the single UA segment NRT-SFO with two NH segments still on the ticket, albeit nearly two months in the future? My guess is "no" since UA would have to reissue the ticket, which will still contain partner flights, in connection with the change. But curious if others have experience with this scenario.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Just booked a one way saver mixed cabin awardfrom ORD-EZE going on the following segments
ORD-YYZ UA
YYZ- GRU AC
GRU- EZE TK

ORD-YYZ is in Y. Has anyone been offered an SDC on the UA segment in a mixed cabin mixed carrier award when UA is the first airline you are flying? First time I have booked an award like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Just booked a one way saver mixed cabin awardfrom ORD-EZE going on the following segments
ORD-YYZ UA
YYZ- GRU AC
GRU- EZE TK

ORD-YYZ is in Y. Has anyone been offered an SDC on the UA segment in a mixed cabin mixed carrier award when UA is the first airline you are flying? ....

SDC is not "available" for a mixed carrier routing per SDC rules.
However, as an award ticket, you can make a change to the ORD-EZE all UA routing (and you can waitlist for such a change).
An agent can make this change anytime if the ORD-EZE space opens up, there will be a change fee and if within the 24 hours of travel window the SDC ee if lower will apply.

Also if the the rest of the ticket is business, you can waitlist for ORD-YYZ segment, not SDC but an option.
Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2018 at 6:51 pm Reason: waitlisting link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.