Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bldr1k
United does this all the time to me (as GS). The upgrade list is prioritized outside of 24 hours - but they often don't process the upgrades. Within 24 hours the gate agent can do whatever they want. In most cases they will upsell people instead of upgrading GS or 1K. That is life with Scott Kirby.
This has been my experience lately on domestic flights. I have not experienced this on international segments
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
This has been my experience lately on domestic flights. I have not experienced this on international segments
+1

As GS, I was able to clear my int'l well in advance of arriving at the gate to play the gate lottery. Though a couple colleagues have shared with me their buyup offers and they are less than desirable ($1200+ for TATL and more like $1800 for TPAC), so I'm not sure if many GS/1K with GPU are getting left behind here.

Domestic... well... let's just say that my misses were because of cheap OLCI offers. Not happy when 3 or 4 seats are available on an A320 at 2 hours prior, and they are all sold while I'm sitting at #1 on the list.

I always will report a shenanigan at the gate when I see that an upgrade was not granted with open seats in F, or (in one case for myself about 5 years ago) when someone below me on the list cleared and left me at #1 with F cabin full). I'm not one to chase compensation, but I do report lousy gate agents when I come across them.... just a matter of principle to me.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Beginning of year GPU deposit?

Sorry for what might be a dumb question but I am having a senior moment.

Do we get a deposit of 6 GPU at beginning of new year membership?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by NH_Clark

You should've gotten 6 when you requal'd for 1K (in year). if you are getting status automatically because of MM then someone else will have to opine...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NH_Clark

You get the 6 when you hit 100K and (re)qualify for 1K (typically the year before). You don't get another 6 on Jan 1st.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Received today. ORD-based.

As a valued United Global Services® member, you and a guest are invited to enjoy a complimentary private cocktail reception on Wednesday, March 14 from 6:00-9:00 p.m. at Soho House in Chicago.

The night will include a few words from United's Leadership as well as time to network with your fellow United Global Services members and your local United Global Service staff. You and your guest will also enjoy passed hors d'oeuvres and drinks while overlooking the beautiful panoramic view of the Chicago skyline at the trendy Soho House 6th Floor Rooftop. Please see below for package details and instructions.

As one of our most valued members, we hope you join us for a night to say thank you and celebrate a new year!
Looks like a total of 200 guests before it's full. I've RSVPed and look forward to joining and meeting others!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I’m on a full fare economy ticket tomorrow on a flight that has 4 open first seats, waiting for a CPU. I thought that we could call in around 24 hours and they would manually clear if F>3. When I called, the representative told me they could not manually clear anymore and had to let the system do it. He told me I could use an RPU or mileage to clear though.

Is this true or should I call back? I am about 3 hours outside of 24, but was within the 24 hours of my first segment.
Would it be better if I was within the 24 hour mark?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I’m on a full fare economy ticket tomorrow on a flight that has 4 open first seats, waiting for a CPU. I thought that we could call in around 24 hours and they would manually clear if F>3. When I called, the representative told me they could not manually clear anymore and had to let the system do it. He told me I could use an RPU or mileage to clear though.

Is this true or should I call back? I am about 3 hours outside of 24, but was within the 24 hours of my first segment.
Would it be better if I was within the 24 hour mark?
Correct, no manual clearance of CPUs any more - only instrument supported upgrades or waitlisted mileage awards in line with the timeframes in the wiki above.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by bluepig1
Received today. ORD-based.

Looks like a total of 200 guests before it's full. I've RSVPed and look forward to joining and meeting others!
Same here - received and RSVP'd (for my wife - also a 'real' non-nominated GS) and me! See you there bluepig! Interesting to see if Mar 14 weather will allow for outside rooftop festivities or not. Never know that time of year - could be 75/sunny or 35/snow.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Gold
it actually stays as PN! My wife who was a GS and now 1K, manually applied GPU's to 6 award international flights for her parents before 2/1. 2 upgrades in October got confirmed yesterday into PN. The other 4 still waitlisted..

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I believe it goes back to R... Same thing will happen to me.. though I was able to get my Polaris flight to clear last week for my May flight..... GS agent told me no issue to do so.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
So I have a question...
My mom is about to hit 4 million by mid year.
We normally buy only (discounted economy fares). Our routes include:

-Sfo to Hkg
-Sfo to Tpe
-Sfo to Ewr
-Sfo to Vegas
-Sfo to Phx
-Sfo to Hnl

Being a lifetime 1k, she gets 6 GPU and 2 RPU per year. We use up all 6 GPU with W fare on international flights.

How would GS help her on her flights? Any chances of getting comp upgrade for international flights without supporting instruments? Or is this all wishful thinking?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by twkidM3
So I have a question...
My mom is about to hit 4 million by mid year.
We normally buy only (discounted economy fares). Our routes include:

-Sfo to Hkg
-Sfo to Tpe
-Sfo to Ewr
-Sfo to Vegas
-Sfo to Phx
-Sfo to Hnl

Being a lifetime 1k, she gets 6 GPU and 2 RPU per year. We use up all 6 GPU with W fare on international flights.

How would GS help her on her flights? Any chances of getting comp upgrade for international flights without supporting instruments? Or is this all wishful thinking?
Comp upgrades do not happen even for GS or multi-million milers, unless for operational reasons (oversales). The GS benefit is to be able to upgrade award tickets using GPUs, RPUs, or miles. And to convert T space to saver coach awards or R space to saver business awards. See the wiki for details.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by wxguy
Comp upgrades do not happen even for GS or multi-million milers, unless for operational reasons (oversales). The GS benefit is to be able to upgrade award tickets using GPUs, RPUs, or miles. And to convert T space to saver coach awards or R space to saver business awards. See the wiki for details.
thanks, i guess we'll continue our peasant flying and expect no difference from 1k.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by twkidM3
thanks, i guess we'll continue our peasant flying and expect no difference from 1k.
Au contraire. I find being GS (for the past seven years) far and away better service and benefits from my 1K (and CO Plat) years, of which there were many. Congrats on the 4MM and enjoy GS! I'll be at 4MM next year (knocks on his tray table).
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Au contraire. I find being GS (for the past seven years) far and away better service and benefits from my 1K (and CO Plat) years, of which there were many. Congrats on the 4MM and enjoy GS! I'll be at 4MM next year (knocks on his tray table).
Thanks buddy. We aren't a corp company, just average family sized entrepreneurs that travel a lot for work.
My mom has 3.95 million right now, should hit 4 million by June.
My dad has 3.2 million.
I'm piggybacking off lifetime 1k status.
wxguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.