Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For domestic flight issues, use Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2018]

Previous international delayed / cancelled report threads
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Well who would have thought they would be right! Except for the hiccup on the AirTran (everyone had to get off at the Parking Sta and cross over fro the tram to C, B & A..there was relatively no lines at TSA Precheck,, my flight looks (at this moment) on time and the terminal is not the madhouse I had expected. I even have a seat/ desk at the United Club�� All this on a Friday night, after lousy weather and a fire in C earlier in the day. If I were a gambling lass, I'd buy myself a lottery ticket����
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by mauld
I'm on UA 51 tonite (EWR-MAD), despite the earlier announced fire at Terminal C, and the bad weather generally, my flight is still showing OnTime ?? My arriving plane is coming from IAH, and shows only 23 min late--- so not sure what's up. News reports mention massive delays, issues and problems, yet not one word from UA. (Obviously, I can't get through via phone to them !!) Debating canceling and attempting to rebook for tomorrow, but as stated, can't get through. Any thoughts ????

Just got through to Elite Desk and was told the transformer fire was put out and right now, NO DELAYS ???
Rule #1 : The elite desk sometimes routinely doesn't have the most up-to-date information regarding airport delays.

ETA: With using the OIS website and EF, I know information far quicker than the GAs and even quicker than some flight crews. And it is kinda fun to call them out when they say a 12pm flight will board at 1:30pm, even though the release time is 4pm.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by DELee
I think there are a few reasons to post delays of any international flight.

One is the interdependence of inbound/outbound pairs so if the inbound gets delayed, the outbound will be delayed. Posters may only know of their flight so a post may serve to alert FTs on the outbound.

Another is UA's propensity to list a flight as "On Schedule" but you have to click through to the "Where is this aircraft coming from?" to find out that the inbound aircraft is late or, worse yet, you have to click further to find out that the A/C is a sub for another and UA really has no idea if a flight will have an on time departure.

One other is the impact on FT travellers on domestic feeder flights - if you find out that your international connection is delayed, that may or may not affect your decision making as to either staying on an existing late domestic flight, start to look for other options, etc. Here's an immediate example: United Delay Posting

And lastly, this is a way to communicate and be part of the greater FT community.

David
It's not like I feel I need to defend United (although it may seem I am) but anyone who is posting on FT is more than likely to check a connection status on the app if the first leg is delayed, especially in cases of weather. Maintenance issues on a delayed first leg where no weather is present at the connecting hub is worrisome and legit.

In my experience, a 1-hour delay out of EWR will usually result in a 30 minute max arrival delay in Europe, and in stations like LHR/FRA/MUC/ZRH/GVA the return delay departure will be 20 minutes which is usually made up in flight and as such is inconsequential.

Of course there will be the unlucky victim who has a 1-hour connection in FRA or wherever who may miss a connection, but if they are connecting to a final destination in the EC there is probably a flight re-protection option not too much later. But for those not knowledgeable who book a 60 minute connection at a foreign station are jut that, unfamiliar with how the game is played.

It's January folks. We still have 45 days of winter weather.

Adam

Last edited by adambrau; Jan 13, 2018 at 10:42 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Yes I believe it does, it can affect connections. I've never heard of someone missing a connecting flight when their inbound flight arrives early.....
A one-hour departure delay does not necessarily reflect a one hour arrival time. I think for departures delayed 1 hour, the arrival time should be posted. Because will be honest I have often had 1 hour departure delays where I arrived ontime.

Adam
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by adambrau
A one-hour departure delay does not necessarily reflect a one hour arrival time. I think for departures delayed 1 hour, the arrival time should be posted. Because will be honest I have often had 1 hour departure delays where I arrived ontime.

Adam
A lot of it is because the block time is heavily padded to account for variations in taxi time. Wheels up to wheels down is extremely accurate in real time from the flight computer, so usually downline segments post delays when the inbound posts wheels up.

I generally think this is a fine policy; I respect the idea that posting a delay means that the carrier is committing to going late and I don't need to camp the gate area or go to the airport early (yes, I know that's not technically how it works, but I'm almost always happy to risk it).
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by findark
A lot of it is because the block time is heavily padded to account for variations in taxi time. Wheels up to wheels down is extremely accurate in real time from the flight computer, so usually downline segments post delays when the inbound posts wheels up.

I generally think this is a fine policy; I respect the idea that posting a delay means that the carrier is committing to going late and I don't need to camp the gate area or go to the airport early (yes, I know that's not technically how it works, but I'm almost always happy to risk it).
I agree it is legit for United to do this honestly when they do, but I just don't see the point of posting a one hour departure delay out of EWR or wherever on FT. No one looks for real time info on FT (mostly). But nowhere is this noted in the vast majority of posts of whether the delays are gate pushes or wheels up?

Mostly I think there should be a standard for postings of departure delays - ie is it push back from the gate or wheels-up time? A one hour wheels-up time delay at EWR, or JFK, on an evening departure to Europe or South America, is there norm I would think?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fgirard
Rule #1 : The elite desk sometimes routinely doesn't have the most up-to-date information regarding airport delays.

Interesting outline, if I just knew how to read it .....
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA988 FRA-IAD 772 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yesterday's

UA839 LAX-SYD 789 cancelled due to crew

therefore tomrrow's

UA840 SYD-LAX 789 cancelled due to crew
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by adambrau
Does a 1 hour flight arrival delay really need to reported? I only ask this because I haven't seen a thread for all the long haul UA flights which arrive 1 hour early or better. Honestly folks, read this thread with a grain of salt. And not the salt the airports sprinkle in weather situations.

Adam
when it’s fits the narrative of the OP it does 😏
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: None anymore
Actually I use this thread a lot (even with 1hr delays) every time I fly internationally, so to me it's helpful even if the delay isn't that much. A lot of times FT has more information than UA is willing to give out.
robbeck1 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
yesterday's (Jan 13)

UA839 LAX-SYD 789 cancelled due to crew
Flightaware suggests the aeroplane departed on time and returned to LAX around 1.55am (Jan 14)

Last edited by Aspen; Jan 14, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aspen
Flightaware suggests the aeroplane departed on time and returned to LAX around 1.55am (Jan 14)
So, the flight got airborn and then returned? Any reason why?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA990 SFO-CDG 789 diverted to IAD; on the ground for 3 hours 1-4 a.m. (UA says crew ... makes no sense). Now en route to CDG with 11 hr delay

resulting in

UA914 CDG-IAD 789 7 hrs late due to late inbound

Last edited by cfischer; Jan 15, 2018 at 6:10 am
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by cfischer
UA990 SFO-CDG 789 diverted to IAD; on the ground for 3 hours 1-4 a.m. (UA says crew ... makes no sense). Now en route to CDG with 11 hr delay

resulting in

UA914 CDG-IAD 789 7 hrs late due to late inbound
Story in the Washington Post reports that the plane diverted to get medical help for a sick passenger, who I hope is feeling better now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.