Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
SFONRT
Chalking this as a one off and not necessarily indicative of a larger “enhancement”.
It was a one off.

I flew both BR and SQ on the same itinerary as my recent LAX-SIN, and UA's food long-haul is consistently better than BR (IMO). SQ, with "Book the Cook" still wins over UA, but it's not a massive difference in the quality of the meal itself (wines are obviously a different story, but I don't drink).
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Nothing was said about the lack of true ice cream sundaes, instead the sorbet was the only option.

That's the sorbet you get in long-haul Y so almost definitely a miscater and not an "enhancement"
onthesam likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
It was a one off.

I flew both BR and SQ on the same itinerary as my recent LAX-SIN, and UA's food long-haul is consistently better than BR (IMO). SQ, with "Book the Cook" still wins over UA, but it's not a massive difference in the quality of the meal itself (wines are obviously a different story, but I don't drink).
Wow. That is pretty surprising. I haven't been on BR for many months, but after a handful of flights with them late last year, I was very happy with their meals.
Is this a recent degradation, or have you always preferred UA? Did you pre-order selections?

I am scheduled on BR again in December...
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wow. That is pretty surprising. I haven't been on BR for many months, but after a handful of flights with them late last year, I was very happy with their meals.
Is this a recent degradation, or have you always preferred UA? Did you pre-order selections?
My BR experience is all this year. Four flights total. I just have not been impressed with the food on any of them. I love the hard product and the service. If I drank, I would probably rate the meals higher, as they do serve some very nice wines.

And the ice blue Rimowa ex-TPE is sweet
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It was a one off.

I have sensed some cutbacks on SQ's inflight meal offerings this year. I have a suite of photos of SQ meals from the past 8 years, and I have noticed the downsize of portions and garnishing. Quality and consistency wise, I still think SQ is better than UA. For example, I fly to Asia from all UA major hubs (other than DEN) often in the same month, the menu may be the same, but quality of ingredients, presentation and plates used for the same entrée item can be quite different.
On BR, I only fly them between Asia and Europe and Intra-Asia, I enjoy their meals better than UA, but that could be just personal taste and choice.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think Taiwanese cuisine outside of Din Tai Fung can be very polarizing (i.e. stinky tofu) - I know BR serves a variety of western options but surely they have been altered to appeal to local tastes. I definitely prefer BR over UA catering in both J and Y.

My BR experience is all this year. Four flights total. I just have not been impressed with the food on any of them. I love the hard product and the service. If I drank, I would probably rate the meals higher, as they do serve some very nice wines.

And the ice blue Rimowa ex-TPE is sweet
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI
I think Taiwanese cuisine outside of Din Tai Fung can be very polarizing (i.e. stinky tofu) - I know BR serves a variety of western options but surely they have been altered to appeal to local tastes.
Yes they have put some things on my plate that I was really not interested in eating. Like the entire appetizer plate TPE-SFO (don't recall the specifics). I think BR makes much less of an effort to cater to western palates than say SQ or NH. Which is certainly understandable given that their passenger base seems to be largely Taiwanese.

It probably also influences my analysis that my last three UA long-haul flights have all had really good catering and crews.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA
8/29 UA863 SFO-HKG
I ordered express dining.
Had short rib with wasabi grits and bok choy, beef was tough to cut off but tender once separated. Had good flavour and wasn't dry. Grits were good, bok choy was good.

Hot bites was chicken rice, probably the best meal on the airplane,

Chose provincial omelette for pre arrival, same as domestic F, still not as good as BoB skillet was in economy on domestic flights.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Sep 11, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I really like the wasabi grits!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
For the first meal, did they really service all 3 courses together? That is HORRIBLE in my opinion.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
For the first meal, did they really service all 3 courses together? That is HORRIBLE in my opinion.
Unless they asked for Express Dining - then perfectly accceptable IMO.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA MP
The FA came around taking orders, but rather than asking for my first choice and second, made it a point to say “we have GS and 1Ks on this flight so they will get to have the limited selections first, since you are only Platinum.” Yes, I realize that is a benefit for them, but it could have been delivered a bit more tactfully, instead of implying that my paid J seat was somehow less important than someone else just because they had status. In fact even when I’ve flown in the past as a nonrev, it’s been communicated with a bit more class.
FA treatment of nonrev is generally the same throughout the airline industry:
Non-Rev J > Paid J Pax
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by erickliu
FA treatment of nonrev is generally the same throughout the airline industry:
Non-Rev J > Paid J Pax
Yes I am aware of that because 90% of my international J travel in the past was as a nonrev. What I was getting at was that since I was paid J, it struck me as odd that they communicated it the way they did. It’s one thing for an FA to ask for a first and second choice and prioritize by status in the galley. It’s another for them to suggest that even on a paid J ticket that there are more important passengers than me....yes I know that 1K/GS benefit is first choice, but I don’t need to be told that and that’s for them to figure out ....for one thing I may have actually paid more for my ticket than they did so it comes across that my business is somehow less important.

That being said as a nonrev, I think I’ve only not received the meal that I initially ordered on a total of 4 flights out of 100+.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:51 pm

It’s one thing for an FA to ask for a first and second choice and prioritize by status in the galley. It’s another for them to suggest that even on a paid J ticket that there are more important passengers than me....
Paid, upgrade, or award, it shouldn't matter. All are entitled to courteous service. Meaning the FA should just take the passenger's first and second choice, and offer a genuine apology if they're not able to offer first choice. There's no reason to in effect say you're a second class passenger, that's just rude.
That being said as a nonrev, I think I’ve only not received the meal that I initially ordered on a total of 4 flights out of 100+.
I've sat next to nonrevs in long-haul J several times and heard the FAs tell them, in effect, that the revenue pax will get first choice. Which is I believe the official policy.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
Unless they asked for Express Dining - then perfectly accceptable IMO.
Agreed, but in the pictures above you can see the appetizer at the back of the tray on the tray table.

This keeps happening, and quite honestly is the biggest issue I have since the recent catering change with the return of half carts to the aisle and cart service for the salad/appetizer setup. On some flights, the food is basically thrown at you without any consideration of tempo and timing, courses piling up together, followed by complete disappearance of the FAs following the dessert cart. My recent ZRH-SFO, an EWR based crew, was absolutely terrible In this regard, including fighting among flight attendants. A great crew has pacing and timing figured out; a lazy or fighting crew does not.

The catering changes (and gel pillow at every seat), as we here all know, were rolled out to deal with complaints from the AFA union regarding the workload in Polaris with crew staffing reductions. To be honest, the complaints are fair. They are dressed up as “sleep enhancements” for passengers, but it’s actually a big slice into the feel of the Polaris soft product onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.