Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Flying other airlines recently was a real eye-opener on that front. LO, OS, TG and BR all catered noticeably better wines than what UA stocks (and that includes when Polaris was first rolled out).
Back in the heyday of BR, it was all-you-can-drink Dom Perignon - their current champagne selection is still pretty pricey.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. Seared beef short rib with bbq sauce (or more specifically, soaked through with bbq sauce), basmati rice, carrots, sugar snap peas

2. Three Cup Chicken with noodles, basil soy sauce, baby corn, carrots, broccoli

3. Spicy Chicken with Thai style coconut curry sauce and udon noodles (how this doesn't end up coating your clothes, I have no idea)

4. Pan fried black cod, sweet and sour sauce, egg fried rice, carrot, mushroom, bell pepper, sugar snap peas

Hot Bites - grilled cheese with tomato basil soup, or noodle soup with braised beef

"Breakfast" - congee with scallops, shrimp, vegetables, savory garnish or 'rustic' omelet per my photo

I would say definitely plastic or acrylic - did not feel like glass to me at all
Thanks! As for dealing with the noodles, I wear the pajamas during dinner.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

3. Spicy Chicken with Thai style coconut curry sauce and udon noodles (how this doesn't end up coating your clothes, I have no idea)
That's why the napkin has a button hole. So passengers can attach the napkin to their shirt's button. Although I have to say that the only person I see attaching the napkin that way is my wife.

Talking about napkins, the white cotton damask were so much nicer than the ones they have now.

Twelve more days to wait for me to enjoy some spicy chicken.......
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
That's why the napkin has a button hole. So passengers can attach the napkin to their shirt's button. Although I have to say that the only person I see attaching the napkin that way is my wife.

Talking about napkins, the white cotton damask were so much nicer than the ones they have now.

Twelve more days to wait for me to enjoy some spicy chicken.......
I've flown IAH-NRT three times this month and all three times the f/a provided a spoon for the broth - I hope they're doing this on all flights serving this delicious entree. Also, I hold the bowl up - I don't care who notices around me or what they think, I ain't getting none of that broth on me; I always attach the cloth napkin to my button when eating.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Same idiot that thinks Balsamic vinaigrette is the only salad dressing in the world, and it tastes great on any type of salad.
Originally Posted by trust77
I've flown IAH-NRT three times this month and all three times the f/a provided a spoon for the broth - I hope they're doing this on all flights serving this delicious entree. Also, I hold the bowl up - I don't care who notices around me or what they think, I ain't getting none of that broth on me; I always attach the cloth napkin to my button when eating.
I believe I've always been provided a spoon. That said, I'd have no qualms about picking up the bowl and drinking it if required. Score one for the 77W there, but I'd do it in public too. Good food is meant to be enjoyed, and let's face it, good food isn't a given when you fly.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by cricketer
Good food is meant to be enjoyed, and let's face it, good food isn't a given when you fly.
Here! here!, well said, cricketer!

When they first launched the chicken last year, it was not served with a spoon - I always had to ask for one.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
26FEB UA 100 SYD-IAH. Sorry, didn't ask about midlight hot snacks

Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
26FEB UA 100 SYD-IAH. Sorry, didn't ask about midlight hot snacks

What is "stir fry sauce" in the stir fry entree above? UA could not have come up with a more enigmatic menu description if they had tried. Perhaps they did try?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by transportprof
What is "stir fry sauce" in the stir fry entree above? UA could not have come up with a more enigmatic menu description if they had tried. Perhaps they did try?
Dunno, both neighbour & myself had the fish, I didn't see any other dishes.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Dunno, both neighbour & myself had the fish, I didn't see any other dishes.
I would have gone with the fish, too. How was it?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by transportprof
I would have gone with the fish, too. How was it?
Just seeing the word "pumpkin" I would not have gotten the fish. But, then, sadly nothing else sounds enticing. Hopefully, I don't get this menu choices on my trip to Asia in ten days. Or maybe it will be the right time to go on a diet.....
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Just seeing the word "pumpkin" I would not have gotten the fish. But, then, sadly nothing else sounds enticing. Hopefully, I don't get this menu choices on my trip to Asia in ten days. Or maybe it will be the right time to go on a diet.....
Definitely strikes me as an ANZ menu, wouldn't worry about it affecting the Asia options.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Spicy Chicken with Thai style coconut curry sauce and udon noodles
Are they still serving fettuccine noodles in that dish and billing them as udon?

I remember taking a bite of "udon" noodles from this dish on a flight a good 6 months back and not eating any more because the "udon" were overcooked, flat pasta and not a round, chewy, true udon noodle. While the broth was tasty, the "udon" was underwhelming.

Big V (realizing how niggling of a complaint this is)
​​​​​​

​​​​​
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by big V
Are they still serving fettuccine noodles in that dish and billing them as udon?

I remember taking a bite of "udon" noodles from this dish on a flight a good 6 months back and not eating any more because the "udon" were overcooked, flat pasta and not a round, chewy, true udon noodle. While the broth was tasty, the "udon" was underwhelming.

Big V (realizing how niggling of a complaint this is)
​​​​​​

​​​​​
Udon are not always fat noodles. Take a look at some of the pictures here, e.g. this one. The fat kind is my favourite, though.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Feb 13 DEL-EWR. Served a truly disgusting lamb dish (and I'm not very picky). Asked for a received the Indian chicken dish as a replacement. It wasn't bad but a minuscule serving of chicken (chunks in a small ramekin). Made up for it with two ice cream servings (paper dish, absolutely rock hard). Grilled cheese and tomato soup was available as the mid-flight snack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.