Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there any CHASE ATM machine at IAH or ORD airport ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I need get some cash to exchange foreign currency while i traveling oversea.

Thank you
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
https://locator.chase.com/
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't think there's a Chase ATM in the secure area of ORD - I know there's a BOFA and Harris Bank, for sure. But there definitely used to be one at the airport CTA station, just outside the fare gates (IIRC, if you're walking down from T1, it should be at the wall on the far end of the turnstyles...so should see it roughly straight ahead if you are walking from the United terminal). I presume its still there, though didn't notice (though wasn't looking, either), when I was walking by the area around Thanksgiving.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Amex
At IAH THERE ARE MANY Chase ATM. I know in B C E.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Using your Chase ATM card in the country to get local currency is generally a more economical approach versus money changers. Even better if your Chase card has no forex.
I guess there may be a few places in the world a bank AT is not available on arrival.
pfpdx likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Can you get the money exchanged at a Chase branch before going to the airport?

Otherwise, I would suggest going to a local bank at your destination to get local currency. Chase has no presence outside the US.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

thank you. i just need to get some USD at IAH or ORD from CHASE ATM and i have NO time to go to local branch before the depature
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:10 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
iah has a chase atm across from the food course in concourse a near a10, and iirc there's a chase in iah concourse c.......... north? or maybe south. it's in the main hallway in and out of the concourse, it's near the wendy's and camden market (i forget if that's c north or s souf). it's very prominent, you can't miss it. just ask an employee, they know. there's probably one in e i have never seen, just ask iah employees, they friendly.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Can you get the money exchanged at a Chase branch before going to the airport?

Otherwise, I would suggest going to a local bank at your destination to get local currency. Chase has no presence outside the US.
terrible value. i'm thinking op is determined to find chase atm to minimize fees therefore i'm led to believe that op is looking to withdraw dinero for the purpose of going on the street and getting very best rate.

does ord even have chase banks? i know washington area has 0 chase locations
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by cur
does ord even have chase banks? i know washington area has 0 chase locations
There are a zillion Chase locations (1,471 ATMs) in Chicago (since they bought Bank One in 2004), but none in ORD or MDW to the best of my knowledge.

Sounds like there are some in IAH. When I flew ORD-IAH-EZE a few years ago I was maxing out my daily withdrawal limit at the Chase ATM in IAH and then getting the $20s turned into $100s for free at the currency exchange counters (they said they do up to $200 per location as a courtesy).
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Using your Chase ATM card in the country to get local currency is generally a more economical approach versus money changers.
Agreed, even with the 3% + $5 most Chase cards charge.

Even better if your Chase card has no forex.
Are there any that offer this? I've not seen any.

Still, at $5+3% you would need to have a VERY small transaction to pay more than what Travelex would charge. Last time I did the math Travelex was charging a 15% commission on USD->EUR transactions. It is brutal.

Even the idea of "getting a great rate on the street" is generally more risky and still not likely to do much better than the 3% hit. Maybe you get down to a 1% margin which is still pretty impressive. But I'd rather not risk dealing with the money changers on the street for the change to save $25 on $1000. And that's even assuming the destination is one where cash is so prevalent.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Even better if your Chase card has no forex.
Are there any that offer this? I've not seen any.
The MP branded Chase Club card has no forex as a credit card.

My Schwab ATM has no forex and refunded ATM fees -- that is my choice of ATM card for non-domestic travel.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ballerinajz

I need get some cash to exchange foreign currency while i traveling oversea.

Thank you
Where are you going? You can get foreign currency from an ATM (even non-Chase) at most international airports using your Chase card. People who travel a lot avoid exchanging currency for currency at airports or hotels (really poor exchange rates). Banks are not much better. Unless you're going to Venezuela (or anywhere similar where official exchange rate doesn't reflect market reality), using an ATM in your destination country is usually the way to go.

If you don't travel overseas much, it might be worthwhile to set up travel alerts online with you credit and bank card issuers. Sometimes a card might be flagged if it's used outside of where it's normally used.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 18, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

bad idea to exchange foreign currency in the US. i just carry USD with me
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:12 pm

There are Chase ATMs at IAH. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ballerinajz
bad idea to exchange foreign currency in the US. i just carry USD with me
Not sure why you think it would be better outside US. It isn't. The currency traders outside the US are still marking up for the airport concession (or other physical location), the staffing, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.