Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why wouldn't PVG agents help me print return boarding pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why wouldn't PVG agents help me print return boarding pass?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:16 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Not as bad as India, where they stamp your carry-on luggage to validate that it has gone through security check. I recall flying in HYD where I counted 8 stamps on my boarding pass from check-in to boarding.
Well, the stupid thing is that there's absolutely nothing to prevent you from swapping those tags between bags.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:12 am

Having just flown PVG-ORD, let’s realize that China requires 12+ screenings (including multiple duplicative screenings from entering the airport to boarding your outbound aircraft unlike only 2 total screenings in the opposite direction (USA). I’m guessing they are so rigid that there’s no allowance for ‘transferring’ through PVG given the slightest deviation from what their ‘standard’ boarding profile is. When we flew out of PVG this past week, the screenings were:

1. Metal detector and swab getting into airport.
2. Interview + passport at UA check-in line.
3. Check-in + passport at actual UA check-in.
4. ‘Exit’ immigration* + passport + boarding pass.
5. Customs* + passport.
6. Security + passport + separation of umbrella, batteries, liquids, tablets and laptops.
7. Interview + passport at boarding line at gate.
8. Boarding pass + passport at gate.
9. Boarding pass at jet bridge.
10. Boarding pass getting stamped* by government employee at jet bridge/airplane threshold (to make sure foreigner actually leaves or Chinese citizen doesn’t sneak out??)

China appears to me to be going way overboard on security.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:43 am Reason: OMNI content removed
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:12 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Come now, this is a bit hyperbolic. 6 to 8 of those same steps exist in, say, Germany as well. Or Canada for that matter. And the lack of steps #4-5 in the US is simply the US not having it together. #10 might be a little much,

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Having just flown PVG-ORD, let’s realize that China requires 12+ screenings (including multiple duplicative screenings from entering the airport to boarding your outbound aircraft unlike only 2 total screenings in the opposite direction (USA). I’m guessing they are so rigid that there’s no allowance for ‘transferring’ through PVG given the slightest deviation from what their ‘standard’ boarding profile is. When we flew out of PVG this past week, the screenings were:

5. Customs* + passport.
6. Security + passport + separation of umbrella, batteries, liquids, tablets and laptops.
10. Boarding pass getting stamped* by government employee at jet bridge/airplane threshold (to make sure foreigner actually leaves or Chinese citizen doesn’t sneak out??)

narvik likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:46 am Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; response to deleted material removed
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM

5. Customs* + passport.

Quite the rant against China. Not my experience at all.

PVG seems rather strict compared to PEK, where I recall only 4 of the 10 steps you mention.
Oh and by the way, I believe your step number two has nothing to do with China, but rather a USA requirement.?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:47 am Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
* China appears to me to be going way overboard on security.
Um... I know I've only been to a few dozen countries—from the very poor (e.g., Cambodia and Laos) to the very rich (e.g., Japan and the UK) and lots in between (e.g., Turkey and Fiji), not quite a quarter of all the countries on earth—so my experience probably doesn't count for much, but exit immigration is the norm. The US and Canada don't have that but they also lack proper international airports allowing one to transit without actually entering the country, with a visa if needed. (Actually, I've never tried transiting from one international flight to another in Canada, so I suppose it might actually "have it together"—to quote TA upthread.)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:49 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

5. Customs* + passport.

What a rant!!!
#2 was required by Trump administration this year.
#5 is not true (there is only #4 at PVG/HGH/PEK)
#6 only boarding pass is scanned.
#7 if you had #2 , they just check the stamp on the back of your passport. This is also done in European countries.
#10 I never had this. You must be kidding.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:50 am Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP

5. Customs* + passport.

India/Sri Lanka have security prior to entering airport, even car checks before entering airport grounds. Brazil/Argentina/EU Schengen/Australia have exit immigration and customs.

And #10 I have not experienced either. Only country that I've experienced that is in Saudi Arabia, where contract employees are not allowed to leave without employer consent or termination of contract.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:52 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; response to deleted content removed
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Not as bad as India, where they stamp your carry-on luggage to validate that it has gone through security check. I recall flying in HYD where I counted 8 stamps on my boarding pass from check-in to boarding.
During my last 2 trips out of Delhi (in Oct and Nov), they have stopped doing this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

The UA forum focuses on the UA traveller experiences, comments on political / governement structure are best saved for the OMNI forums. Such off topic comments have been removed from recent posts and all are requested to focus on the UA traveller experience.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:18 pm

5. Customs* + passport.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
What a rant!!!
#2 was required by Trump administration this year.
#5 is not true (there is only #4 at PVG/HGH/PEK)
#6 only boarding pass is scanned.
#7 if you had #2 , they just check the stamp on the back of your passport. This is also done in European countries.
#10 I never had this. You must be kidding.
I wouldn't necessarily say this is a rant, because all the steps above may happen to anyone.

1. I had very similar experience in IST for US flights before the terrorism for all the processes, bombs at the airport, protests, etc., probably in 2012 or 2013.
2. #7 , I had this happened in AMS, GUM, one or two more airports that I forgot.
3. #5 , if you have items to declare, you might have to go through customs.
4. #10 - This can happen when you take duty free items, or better yet, in Sept 2017, when I entered the boarding gate and the jetbridge at NRT, there was an extra screening for selected flyers. First entry, didn't get anything; second, when I was going to look for my relatives who did not know we entered the aircraft, on the way back, I was told to go to the extra screening. Funny I saw my relative at the bench right in front of the boarding gate, and I still needed to go to screening myself.
5. Less can occur, the exact same processing can occur, but more can occur too. Some of these steps highly depend on how suspicious your behavior looks, how complicated your immigration status is, and how many things you have to declare.

So again, YMMV. If you have a lot of things to declare or duty-free items, things get hectic!

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Dec 11, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TA
Thanks for your replies.

I wasn't able to print from the club because I was late for the boarding unfortunately.

I also noticed the reliance on paper boarding passes in PVG another way. Because our flight was severely delayed, I lost my paper boarding pass between clearing immigration and getting on the delayed flight (with the all-important red stamps on it). The PVG gate agents made me wait until being the last passenger to board, "because someone else may try to use your boarding pass".

I'm not really sure how me with my proof of identity passport, having been registered as boarded, would give someone else the opportunity to use my lost boarding pass... but I guess their rules are their rules.
Yeah - always need paper in China.

As for the boarding - in theory the picture they take of you at security/emigration comes up when you board. Really they should be able to look at that.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Quite the rant against China. Not my experience at all.

PVG seems rather strict compared to PEK, where I recall only 4 of the 10 steps you mention.
Oh and by the way, I believe your step number two has nothing to do with China, but rather a USA requirement.?
Or is it a matter of time? What he's describing is far more than we encountered on our last trip.

I'm used to x-ray + metal detector, not just PVG. Haven't seen the swab.

Havne't seen this.

Normal.

Been this way for a long time. Note to those with visas in old passports--they want to see the passport with the visa also.

5. Customs* + passport.

In my experience 5 comes before 4 and they want to see boarding passes also.

Normal.

Never seen this.

I don't recall passport but for an international trip I have the boarding passes in our passports anyway.

[i]9. Boarding pass at jet bridge.

Haven't seen these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.