Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The future for intercontinental OW pricing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The future for intercontinental OW pricing.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Question The future for intercontinental OW pricing.

With the LCCs introducing low OW pricing intercontinental, I wonder if the US legacy carriers (inc UA) will introduce consistent competitive (1/2 RT) inter-continental OW pricing.... you would think so, just as they had to respond to WN years ago (if memory serves)....however I'm not as informed as many on here regarding the airline industry...
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Already happening in some competitive markets (e.g. PEK-BOS), not in others.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Airlines are experimenting on how to counter this - Lufthansa group e.g. tests some concepts at the moment, for example the "Anyway travel pass" where you book a flight from A to B on set dates but will not get exact flights, times and so on (even the airline out of LH-group and thus connecting cities) until two days before the flight. Those flights were quite a bit cheaper than normal offers (e.g. they offered Germany-LAX or vice versa for 249€ ow), but came with some restrictions like no additional baggage and no changes, but were upgradable on the other hand. Another idea they experimenting with (within Europe) is that you buy flight-hours at a fixed price and then can use these to buy as many tickets as long as the combined block-hours do not exceed the hours you purchased. Again quite some restrictions with these (every route can only be flown once out of each package, no domestic flights only, 21 day advance purchase) but it shows what the legacies are looking at...

We will see how the legacies will react in a changing market-place...

Greetimngs - Dirk
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ermintrude
With the LCCs introducing low OW pricing intercontinental, I wonder if the US legacy carriers (inc UA) will introduce consistent competitive (1/2 RT) inter-continental OW pricing.... you would think so, just as they had to respond to WN years ago (if memory serves)....however I'm not as informed as many on here regarding the airline industry...
JetBlue introduced one way pricing for all of its fares. The other airlines over time were forced to adopt the same model after failing with TED/Song etc. When JetBlue starts flights to Europe and offers one way fares the legacies will take notice. One ways in Mint at a reasonable price will shake up the market more than the ULCCs will.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:20 am

UA can’t be competitive with round trip pricing I don’t see them being competitive one way.

speaking about business class fares.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
UA is currently offering OW <$2000 P fares LAX-NRT.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by physioprof
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Does Jetblue have an aircraft that can go the 'range' that UA aircrafts go?

For example, I thought the Jetblue rumors were that Jetblue was going to fly East coast -> Europe. These are only 6-8 hour routes, right?
Can Jetblue compete on the long-haul routes? LAX - LHR; LAX/SFO - Asia, etc. I think the fares on UA are very competitive with P rates. Granted, I don't know what Jetblue or LCC's would charge.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial

For example, I thought the Jetblue rumors were that Jetblue was going to fly East coast -> Europe. These are only 6-8 hour routes, right?
Can Jetblue compete on the long-haul routes? LAX - LHR; LAX/SFO - Asia, etc. I think the fares on UA are very competitive with P rates. Granted, I don't know what Jetblue or LCC's would charge.
EWR-HKG is 8000-9500 because they don’t publish P and Z fares all the time despite the flights being empty
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687

EWR-HKG is 8000-9500 because they don’t publish P and Z fares all the time despite the flights being empty
Round-trip right!? Omg. I guess I am isolated and spoiled being based out of the west coast. <2000 for Asia, <1800 for LHR, <2500 for SYD. *one ways. and P, P, and Z fares I believe.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
UA typically only offers one way pricing (at half round trip cost) where it faces competitive pressures to do so. I believe B6 was a leader on this in the US. Some routes ex IAH for example still require RT and a Sat night stay I believe. Because there is no competitive reason not to.

I think we’ll see UA offer more affordable one way pricing as it faces increased competitive pressures from ULCCs like Norwegian. If I’m UA though this is where I’d deploy BE to ensure the company can compete for that traffic without eroding revenue premiums.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:48 pm

Round-trip right!? Omg. I guess I am isolated and spoiled being based out of the west coast. <2000 for Asia, <1800 for LHR, <2500 for SYD. *one ways. and P, P, and Z fares I believe.
yea round trip. D fares are the lowest

they are not competitive.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No.
For example, I thought the Jetblue rumors were that Jetblue was going to fly East coast -> Europe.
Maybe, when the A321neo joins the fleet in a couple years. But the decision to do so is not yet announced.
Can Jetblue compete on the long-haul routes? LAX - LHR; LAX/SFO - Asia, etc.
No, but Chinese carriers do. My first example was PEK-BOS. That's a long-haul route that is VERY competitive for one way fares.
Originally Posted by jp12687
I'll dispute that the flights are empty and also that the fare is never discounted. A 7-day trip starting on 13 February prices at ~$3300 r/t right now on UA, less than half the price CX is charging on the same dates for a nonstop flight. The o/w fare remains higher, but that's because there is no competition for o/w fares in that market. When the market shows up with competition UA will respond.

But why, lacking and competitive pressure to do so, would a company slash its prices? I'd love cheaper flights, too, but that's not the goal of the airline.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
R/T can be had at $3,735 or less ( on UA ), cheaper on AA/JL.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
No.
Maybe, when the A321neo joins the fleet in a couple years. But the decision to do so is not yet announced.
No, but Chinese carriers do. My first example was PEK-BOS. That's a long-haul route that is VERY competitive for one way fares.

I'll dispute that the flights are empty and also that the fare is never discounted. A 7-day trip starting on 13 February prices at ~$3300 r/t right now on UA, less than half the price CX is charging on the same dates for a nonstop flight. The o/w fare remains higher, but that's because there is no competition for o/w fares in that market. When the market shows up with competition UA will respond.

But why, lacking and competitive pressure to do so, would a company slash its prices? I'd love cheaper flights, too, but that's not the goal of the airline.
jan 19-25 flight is near empty right now based on seat map and expert mode fare classes yet P and Z are not listed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.