Wiki Posts
Search

No IMessage on UAL in-flight WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
No IMessage on UAL in-flight WiFi

Just recently iMessage stopped working through the internet on all my United flights after purchasing the internet. Anyone know why? It’s a nice way to keep in touch with the family while flying... Last 2 weeks, I can surf fine but cant send messages, when before it was no problem.
B777 Ewr-Ord-Ewr 4days in a row
B767-300 Iad-gva-iad
B767-400 Ewr-Lhr
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Joemac88
Just recently iMessage stopped working through the internet on all my United flights after purchasing the internet. Anyone know why? It’s a nice way to keep in touch with the family while flying... Last 2 weeks, I can surf fine but cant send messages, when before it was no problem.
B777 Ewr-Ord-Ewr 4days in a row
B767-300 Iad-gva-iad
B767-400 Ewr-Lhr
On a flight now. iMessage works for me. I typically only fly B737-9, B737-8, B787-8, B787-9, and B77W. Being based out of the west coast really shows the different aircraft being utilized per airport.

Any errors? Did it just look like it was sending and then throw that red circle saying ‘not delivered’? Did it take a couple minutes to say not delivered or was it basically as soon as you clicked ‘send’?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I had the exact same issue on a B777 domestic EWR-SFO on 12/4. Frustrating.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1k
Happened to my husband this week 789 LAX-LHR
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Is it not delivering a "blue" message or is it turning green as a normal SMS text?
Sometimes I have the issue when traveling and my phone is on Airplane mood but I'm on Wifi I will try to send an iMessage but don't realize I'm disconnected from the Wifi. It then kind of gets "stuck" on green text with that particular person's text thread. Sometimes I just have to wait a while and it'll work or re-start my phone.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Flew the 77W 3 times last week, and all 3 times I could not get iMessage to work. I’ve already received a refund for 2/3 purchases with the 3rd pending.

This is extremely frustrating as messaging is the primary reason I purchase WiFi to begin with. (And the fact that it’s too slow to do just about anything else nowadays)

I did notice UA had successfully blocked WiFi calling a few months back which prevented the sending/receiving of SMS messages. Although it was convenient when it worked, voice calls were possible under certain situations so SMS blocking was an unintended casualty of the deliberate blocking.

With all the recent talks regarding iMessage leakage to those who haven’t purchased access, makes me wonder if they are trying to clamp down on things like that and broke it in the process?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:38 am

And I've got a 15hr flight with 'em coming up next week on a 789...
Dammit, United!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
Yeah I find this quite hit or miss. I've had several flights in the last month that had little to no iMessage functionality. Most frustratingly, SFO-SYD stopped mid-flight and SYD-LAX never worked at all.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Oddly enough for me, on the 739’s, I get iMessage even if I don’t buy internet. I am connected to the wifi, but not paying and still get to iMessage most of the flight
mikeyf and Tblack15 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Oddly enough for me, on the 739’s, I get iMessage even if I don’t buy internet. I am connected to the wifi, but not paying and still get to iMessage most of the flight
This may be the reason it's not now apparently working even after paying.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also get some things through inbound to me without paying for Internet - mostly notifications. So, it seems the system keeps some ports open regardless and some ports closed regardless?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Unfortunately, it seems that UA's accidental blocking of iMessage has also nuked notifications. My iPhone straight up doesn't work on UA WiFi anymore (this was two TPACs on 77W and 789). Exceptionally annoying. I presumed was a momentary glitch but seems from this thread to be more systemic (perhaps affecting all WBs/non-Gogo/DirecTV craft?)

Predictably, the email I sent to 1KVoice nearly a week ago has had no response.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:18 pm

789 SFO-ICN-SFO No iMessage. Browsing was borderline. Doing a speed test upload speeds were close to zero (0,01) while download were 0.96 Pretty pathetic. With such a horrible upload speeds iMessages aren't going to send.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:34 pm

OMG, humanity can NO LONGER go a few hours without texting! What's next, automated wipers in the lu?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fumje
This may be the reason it's not now apparently working even after paying.
The 739s carry a different wifi kit (Thales/Viasat) than the long-haul and A320 family fleet (Panasonic Avionics/PAC). It is less likely that a change on one affects the other.

It is worth noting that UA is upgrading the hardware on the PAC-fitted fleet to support newer satellites and otherwise improve total bandwidth theoretically available on board. That includes new WAPs in some cases and a new modem/antenna controller. Probably only a few dozen updated so far but my understanding is that the long-haul fleet had priority, especially for planes operating TPAC as that's where the newest satellite is in place and where the value proposition for such changes is best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.