Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Got Back From SFO: What's With Everyones Beef With SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got Back From SFO: What's With Everyones Beef With SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clear weather, the wind is slightly off normal and they're down by one runway and can't manage to tow an aircraft to the gate. An hour late so far because ground ops can't give them a 20 second slot to move a plane across a runway. The plane has been at SFO for 19 hours.

Instead they had to replan an incoming plane and send us to a new gate after 45 minutes. Someone else will get out out of position plane.

UPDATE
And back to the original gate....#clownshow

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 7, 2017 at 1:35 pm Reason: merging Update posts by same member
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Cool

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
SNA -> SFO is my favorite route to get bumped at. It's almost guaranteed around the holidays Last year I flew it three times just to get voluntarily bumped 3 times. This is what I do in my holidays LOL.

Maybe you just caught it at a good time. Like @Kacee said, the UC's are overcrowded since the Polaris club construction. Oh and with winter coming around, Karl will be making an almost daily appearance along with some rain. Then the magic happens.
Man I fly out of SNA to SFO twice a month, and im 6/6 on delays due to weather. I usually just wait it out, BUT I have a SNA - SFO at 6:50am to try to connect to SFO - TPE leaving at 12:30pm. Getting nervous especially with winter and karl that I should fly in the night before - given that it's two separate itins...in retrospect I should fly in the night before, but I really don't want to. Flight is Dec. 18th fyi so right in the thick of it all.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Rumples
Man I fly out of SNA to SFO twice a month, and im 6/6 on delays due to weather. I usually just wait it out, BUT I have a SNA - SFO at 6:50am to try to connect to SFO - TPE leaving at 12:30pm.
6:50 am departure *should* be okay. You would normally take off well before SFO imposes flow control (should not happen prior to 8 am, and more likely at 9 am).

But of course flying in night before is always safest.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
6:50 am departure *should* be okay. You would normally take off well before SFO imposes flow control (should not happen prior to 8 am, and more likely at 9 am).

But of course flying in night before is always safest.
I am of course slightly exaggerating, but buy a $ 500.00 ticket on UA and add a 250.00++ hotel, dinner, transportation etc. to it, just to make safe you make your flight. That's SFO for us
non locals. I avoid this airport as much as possible. Earlier this year had a 7 a.m. flight out of PHX which didn't make it out until around 4 p.m., of course arrived at one of the 60s gates,
hobbled over to the International Terminal and made the FRA flight just as the doors closed.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:21 pm

I love the maps from this page:
https://laughingsquid.com/a-roadmap-...ys-in-the-sky/

pdx1M, nnn and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Having flown all the SFO and SJC departures and approaches, there is some variation on these.

Is there a SE plan for NUQ?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
What's "SJO"?

David
nnn likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
They're also available directly from the SFO web site

https://www.flysfo.com/media/weather-impact

including the SJO error
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Rumples
Man I fly out of SNA to SFO twice a month, and im 6/6 on delays due to weather. I usually just wait it out, BUT I have a SNA - SFO at 6:50am to try to connect to SFO - TPE leaving at 12:30pm. Getting nervous especially with winter and karl that I should fly in the night before - given that it's two separate itins...in retrospect I should fly in the night before, but I really don't want to. Flight is Dec. 18th fyi so right in the thick of it all.
I fly a very similar routing to you. I almost always take TPACs out of SFO (unless they're old aircraft and there's an LAX flight available). That being said, I always take either the 6AM or 6:45AM departure out of LAX and have never missed my flight to HKG/TPE/LHR/NRT/PVG. Morning flights are a god-send.
I'm flying LAX -SFO on one itin, and SFO to TPE on another a week before you. I'll let you know how it turns out But I wouldn't be worried. I prefer to spend the night in my own bed and get up early to head to the airport. Less traffic, less chances of delay, it's just an all around winner.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
I really enjoy the various museum exhibits in T3 gates 70 to 90 corridor. Since the UC is frequently jammed, I have spent hours taking my time--the current exhibit is a history of UA called "Flying the Mainline." Check it out!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
I fly in and out of SFO at least 15 times a year.

flying out is great except for weather.

flying in isnt bad except when SFO ground crew take forever to put luggage on conveyor belt and usually random with no sense of priority for frequent or business/first flyer.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by DELee
What's "SJO"?

David
San Jose, Costa Rica.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I recently moved to the Bay Area from Chicago, so switched from flying in and out of ORD a lot to being based in SFO. The airport itself is nicer than ORD (not hard) and I've had much better luck with pre-check being open and not having much of a line in SFO. However, I've had a much higher rate of delays at SFO, both in and outbound, and on flights that are usually fairly reliable, for example, waiting on the ground for 1 hr for a gate to open up on an early morning flight. I'm still working with a smallish sample size, but my impression is that SFO is less reliable schedule-wise than ORD, which seems kinda backwards considering Chicago weather
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by zymm
I recently moved to the Bay Area from Chicago, so switched from flying in and out of ORD a lot to being based in SFO. The airport itself is nicer than ORD (not hard) and I've had much better luck with pre-check being open and not having much of a line in SFO. However, I've had a much higher rate of delays at SFO, both in and outbound, and on flights that are usually fairly reliable, for example, waiting on the ground for 1 hr for a gate to open up on an early morning flight. I'm still working with a smallish sample size, but my impression is that SFO is less reliable schedule-wise than ORD, which seems kinda backwards considering Chicago weather
The thing about ORD is that they have multiple runways that allow for both parallel landings/departures for volume and that go in multiple directions allowing for shifts in wind direction and, given its role in the ATC system, have gotten good at keeping it open in most types of weather (thunderstorms excluded). And they have a hecka lot more gates for all airlines.

SFO, when weather and runways conditions are good, works. When the wind shifts or they work on runways, or both, or Karl comes into play, doesn't.

David
zymm likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
So I just got back from SFO which was my first time ever flying into San Francisco. Driven and taken the train but this weekend was my first time flying into SFO. On this forum, we will get people saying SFO this and SFO that not in a good way. I went to the end of ALL of United's Concourse and back including the International Section. Also, I went inside all three of the domestic United Clubs there. Except for the United Club across from gate Gate 71A which while clean and nicely stocked, was deep inside the building without any natural lights, kind of was depressing. The other two were fine. The terminal concourse were all bright and clean with a variety of food options. The staff in the lounges were all pleasant as well.

My flight back home was oversold so as a VOLUNTARY bump, I was offered $400.00 voucher plus I told them I wanted first class on the alternative flight to which they agreed to. The supervisor even offered up $20.00 dollars food voucher. With 4 hours to kill till my next flight, I explored every corner of UA's concourse. No nasty lounge dragons were around. The gate staff were excellent. The only issue was with a passenger in FC who security had to be called on once we landed but other than that it was smooth sailing.
I love SFO but my home airport is SJC but will fly out of SFO to the East Coast or Europe. SFO beats LAX anyday no busing to the remote terminal. Easy access to the International Terminal and the AMEX Centurion Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.