Wiki Posts
Search

UA IFE box location

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
UA IFE box location

I flew on UA in September three times, and there was an IFE box underneath the seat in front of me on two of those flights. That took away some foot spaces which made the long flights even more uncomfortable. I am usually in an aisle seat in E.

Is there anyway I can identify the location of these IFE boxes on a seat map? I would rather sit above them, than in the row behind them. Seatguru does not seems to have that marked.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
It's not going to show up on any seatmap that I'm aware of, especially since each plane configuration may have a different IFE configuration, meaning different boxes. Some generalizations, off the top of my head: 737s with DTV will have boxes under most seats. So will (some?) sCO 757s. A319/320s shouldn't?

I can't think of any widebodies that have the IFE boxes, but I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong.

And just to clarify, we're talking about the ~3" wide box that's about as tall as the footwell, right?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by fezzington
It's not going to show up on any seatmap that I'm aware of, especially since each plane configuration may have a different IFE configuration, meaning different boxes. Some generalizations, off the top of my head: 737s with DTV will have boxes under most seats. So will (some?) sCO 757s. A319/320s shouldn't?

I can't think of any widebodies that have the IFE boxes, but I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong.

And just to clarify, we're talking about the ~3" wide box that's about as tall as the footwell, right?
Oddly enough, I flew on a 73W the other day with DTV and didn't encounter an IFE box sitting in an aisle seat, or if I did, I didn't notice it at all. 738s and 739s all seem to have it in the aisle seat, but it looks to me like the middle/window seats may or may not have them, though I rarely fly window so I could be mistaken. Inconvenient since I used to put my bag under the seat, but now I just stick it in the overhead bin.

Otherwise my experience has been the same as yours.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I'd agree in general with the above, UA planes don't really have noticeable IFE boxes, and I certainly wouldn't factor them in when choosing a seat.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I haven't looked in a while, but Seatguru, in general, has this type of info.

UA Airbus aircraft shouldn't have the boxes since none of them have (ever had) seatback AVOD; they are only bring your own device - which shouldn't have boxes. The 737s with BYOD (Not sure if some of the later 739s that were delivered to "CO" have that instead of DirecTV, but for sure all of the ones delivered to sUA (ship numbers 38XX)) all would have device entertainment and therefore no boxes.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

I
Yes, it is about 2 to 3 inches wide and slightly shorter than the footwell. I got them on 772s over the pond to HKG and from NRT.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EdofFX
Is there anyway I can identify the location of these IFE boxes on a seat map? I would rather sit above them, than in the row behind them.
If they're in any row, they're in all rows.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Consider this a chime.

They're on every plane where a in-seat screen is present. They hold the controller and power hardware to make the screens and plugs work.

Originally Posted by mduell
If they're in any row, they're in all rows.
Correct.

Typically they are on one of the seat legs per set of seats, but in every row where the IFE kit exists. Newer aircraft/seat/IFE designs are moving or shrinking them, making it better for passengers and airlines in many ways. the A350 design turns the box sideways so it sits flat under the seat pan rather than vertically. That' pretty much gets it completely out of the way. In other designs it is shrinking in total size so it can fin "inside" the leg support rather than jutting out a few inches. But that's far from universal.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12

They're on every plane where a in-seat screen is present. They hold the controller and power hardware to make the screens and plugs work.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. In that case, there is no point for me to look for a row without IFE All things considered, I still prefer an aisle seat.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:25 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Another reason for choosing bulkhead seats. You'll have to put your carry-on in the overhead, though.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1P
Another reason for choosing bulkhead seats. You'll have to put your carry-on in the overhead, though.
You also lose at least 20ish minutes of IFE usage in the bulkhead as it cannot be used on the ground nor during taxi/takeoff/landing while the seat-back systems are active.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

I may be in the minority who do not like bulkhead seats, mainly because there is no under seat space in front for me to store my goody bag. On long flights, I prefer to have a goody bag where I keep a few essential items that would make me more comfortable. It carries at least an Ipad, a bottle of water, and a few snack items. This ensures that I can have something to drink and eat whenever I want, not when the FAs get around to serve the pax in E. On long flights to Asia, there are long periods of time when the cabin is dark and FAs are resting, at least in E anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.