Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When will the final international F flight be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Any idea when the final 777-200 with international will be?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Based on the prior round of conversions and the lackadaisical Polaris rate, I'd guess 2019.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by mduell
Based on the prior round of conversions and the lackadaisical Polaris rate, I'd guess 2019.
The only reason that date might be sooner would be if UA decided to pull the plug on Polaris First at some point in the near future and the first class seats on planes that hadn't yet been reconfigured would be assigned to Global Service flyers and full fare customers but otherwise wouldn't be distinguished from business class.
If you have been around a while you might remember that at one point USair had three classes on their A330s. They had a single row of lie flat seats in the very front of the plane (business class had recliners), but they eventually did away with their first class and those seats were assigned to high level elites (until the planes were reconfigured).
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Exactly, at some point the availability of planes with FC will be so rare that IT can't predict with certainty that they will be available on XXX flight, so they can't reliably sell FC without possibly having to downgrade etc.

I still think it will be 2019 as the Polaris conversions are moving at a snails pace.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:10 am

The later it happens, the better. A lot of INTL F inventory was closed EFF 1 may 2018 back in July, but has since been reopened (phew), at least for the markets where I'm flying.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have an upcoming international flight on the s/UA 772, and I cannot upgrade into F. Agent told me the flight is sold as a two-cabin flight. Seat Map shows empty F cabin. Hope my GS status and full C fare will get me into F.

Regarding the 2019 date others have expressed, I think the coversion is progressing at snail speed at best. It is hard to see UA convert 55 772 in two years. We are about one year away from the original Polaris roll out date of Dec 1, 2016, and there is less than a handful of aircrafts being converted into Polaris cabin.
iluv2fly and artvandalay like this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Regarding the 2019 date others have expressed, I think the coversion is progressing at snail speed at best. It is hard to see UA convert 55 772 in two years. We are about one year away from the original Polaris roll out date of Dec 1, 2016, and there is less than a handful of aircrafts being converted into Polaris cabin.
A confluence of bad timing also hurt the first year roll-out pace. Zodiac struggled to deliver the seats during the Winter '16-'17 window when aircraft utilization was low enough that the planes could be retrofit without hampering operations. I think the hope is that sufficient stock is now available that the retrofits can proceed quickly, especially on the 777s that aren't also receiving the major overhaul work that the 763s will take. UA is also willing to put the 77H on DUB flights to free up frames for conversion in the near term, accelerating the process.

Doesn't mean it will all happen spectacularly quickly, but the stage is set for a faster process.

Also, only 33 IPTE configs remain to be converted, not 55. I'm assuming the 22 sCO birds will be last to go.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Surprised to see F zero'd out on routes like EWR-LHR, where you would think there would be people willing to pay retail. Checked several dates for the 6:50pm departure, which has been 3 class for a long time, and it's not selling F seats. Flight below is in January.

Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Surprised to see F zero'd out on routes like EWR-LHR, where you would think there would be people willing to pay retail. Checked several dates for the 6:50pm departure, which has been 3 class for a long time, and it's not selling F seats. Flight below is in January.
My guess is that with the Polaris 767s in the rotation now, they don’t want to sell Global First and then have to take it away if the actual assigned plane doesn’t have it.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My flight on s/UA 772 also has the F section blocked. Not ticketable and upgradable.

My partner and I purchased full C fare and are trying to upgrade using GPUs, but no luck.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Nov 24, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Exactly, at some point the availability of planes with FC will be so rare that IT can't predict with certainty that they will be available on XXX flight, so they can't reliably sell FC without possibly having to downgrade etc.

I still think it will be 2019 as the Polaris conversions are moving at a snails pace.
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
My guess is that with the Polaris 767s in the rotation now, they don’t want to sell Global First and then have to take it away if the actual assigned plane doesn’t have it.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
My flight on s/UA 772 also has the F section blocked. Not ticketable and upgradable.

My partner abs I purchased full C fare and are trying to upgrade using GPUs, but no luck.
As I said earlier, the threat of paying downgrade compensation, along with uncertainty, this will most like be the norm. If I had to guess it will be treated like they are on domestic trips a lot of time. At the gate the GA will select from people in business and call them up and ask if they are alone etc, then offer them an upgrade to "First" at least that is the way it has worked for me on the past 3-4 domestic 3 class flights i have been on.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
As I said earlier, the threat of paying downgrade compensation, along with uncertainty, this will most like be the norm. If I had to guess it will be treated like they are on domestic trips a lot of time. At the gate the GA will select from people in business and call them up and ask if they are alone etc, then offer them an upgrade to "First" at least that is the way it has worked for me on the past 3-4 domestic 3 class flights i have been on.
Same here recently (ORD-EWR). The meal service in F was the same as J. Wonder if that will now be the case in Global First (no soup?)
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my flight is an international flight not domestic.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
UA hasn't been selling F on EWR-LHR for months now, if not over a year, well before the first 767 was converted to the Polaris config.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
UA hasn't been selling F on EWR-LHR for months now, if not over a year, well before the first 767 was converted to the Polaris config.
I guess that explains why my C-F upgrade still didn't clear until the gate despite F being booked at zero....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.