Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any advantage of using UA club lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In the SAN UC right now, where they just announced that the delayed DEN flight will board in about 15 minutes.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
In the SAN UC right now, where they just announced that the delayed DEN flight will board in about 15 minutes.
You obviously have the magic touch! Sorry to hear you were delayed.

Originally Posted by jgsx
As a frequent SAN-LAX-LHR business class flyer, I'm surprised by your comments.
I'm GS, OWE, and have an Amex Plat. Sometimes I fly the route on UA, sometimes on AA, and occasionally take the SAN-LHR BA nonstop.

The SAN UA club is one of the nicest non-hub UA clubs I've been to. I find it far superior to the SAN Airspace lounge. Amex Plat provides $10 of credit to use at the Airspace lounge, which gets you a little snack, or a regular drink, or a nice discount on a premium drink. The free food offerings at the SAN UA club are superior, in my opinion. I won't even bother going in to the Airspace lounge when flying AA/BA, and never will when flying UA.

The LAX UA club is also an outstanding club. It can't compare to the LAX Qantus First lounge that I get access to as OWE when flying AA, but it is still nice. I can't wait for the LAX Polaris lounge to open. AA also has a Flagship First lounge opening later this month.

The LHR UA arrivals lounge is the best I've been to in Europe. You do not need an invitation, you just need to arrive when it is open. The T2 Priority Pass arrivals lounge is handy to have, but the only time I use it is if I fly on the late SFO-LHR flight, when the UA lounge is closed. The AA arrivals lounge is also nice. I never use the BA arrivals lounge since it is closed when the SAN-LHR flight lands.

The LHR UA club is also outstanding. As a GS, I head over to the GFL, but I wasn't impressed with the LH, AC, or SQ lounge offerings in comparison. LHR is the rare location where UA's offerings are superior.

So, in summary, for the SAN-LAX-LHR Polaris route, the UA lounge offerings are far superior to the Amex offerings at all 3 locations.
I agree with you about the GFL at LHR but have only been in there once when I was in GF. As a mere 1K I will use the other lounges at LHR as they suit my preferences and perhaps that is what it is all about and certainly UA will consider your needs/preferences as a GS higher than mine as a 1K.

I now know I can access the LHR Arrivals Lounge without an invitation and my next scheduled Polaris flight to LHR is in March so lookingforward to the experience.

It is good to have options at SAN/LAX/SFO for choices in lounges for somewhere to wait for flights, and have enjoyed reading everyone's views. Thank you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 18, 2017 at 11:09 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
You obviously have the magic touch! Sorry to hear you were delayed.
I'm pretty sure it's just the ladies who staff the club in the late afternoon/evening. They're really helpful.

Wasn't my flight I flew VX.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
newspapers

UA Club Lounges are also a good source for local (& national) newspapers. I can't speak specifically about SAN but most UCL's carry the NYT & the WSJ.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:40 am

I find united "basic" clubs in general are very underwhelming. Almost all US domestic airline lounges are mediocre but united takes the cake.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
To the question. Not at SFO on Thursday. I was stuck for hours and the lounge staff was just “no use even looking.” Chastised, I call and got a phone agent who tried options for an hour!! Ultimately nothing worked for me but she at least tried!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by milepig
I was stuck for hours and the lounge staff was just “no use even looking.” Chastised, I call and got a phone agent who tried options for an hour!! Ultimately nothing worked for me but she at least tried!
Lounge staff triage.

SL
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SunLover
Lounge staff triage.

SL
but the agent could have taken 30 seconds to say “Milepig, we’ve researched this situation and we advise to stay with the origInal flight. I would have left feeling served instead of “this agent doesn’t care about me.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.