Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow. United's cheese and crackers in EconPlus is AWFUL!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow. United's cheese and crackers in EconPlus is AWFUL!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
They dropped the Buddha Bowl popcorn relatively recently too. That was the one complimentary 1k snack that I actually wanted.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by itsMoe
On the other hand, the coachburger they serve in Y is fantastic. Don't bother with the cheese, go for the burger!
Except it is changing now, including serving on some weird bread pieces instead of the pretzel bun. I haven't heard if it is as good.

I am betting not.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Except it is changing now, including serving on some weird bread pieces instead of the pretzel bun. I haven't heard if it is as good.

I am betting not.
A UA thing --- If it's not broken (and is a hit) they'll fix it!

I'll try one on Sat., and report back!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by KDS777
For some perspective, the one they serve in J is palatable.
If only they could actually use interesting cheese... the cheese course on LH J was such a godsend compared.

Originally Posted by MysteryTour
They dropped the Buddha Bowl popcorn relatively recently too. That was the one complimentary 1k snack that I actually wanted.
Boo. That was one of the few things from the F snack basked that I liked.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by findark
Boo. That was one of the few things from the F snack basked that I liked.
If a guy needs a fix --- Amazon has it!^
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21

I am betting not.
I thought the new burger was delicious. But to be fair, I was getting tired of the old one.

I am not a fan of the new cheese box that the OP mentions, which appears to have replaced the old (plastic) cheese plate -- which was one of my favorite snack cart options.

I'd imagine that we'll see some more enhancements of the snack cart as the winter goes by. They've redone the cheese plate, and the tapas box, but the select and classic boxes have remained unchanged so far... but if I were a betting man, those would be my next two guesses.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
"SWISS-TYPE FLAVOR" = lord, almighty.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by physioprof
"SWISS-TYPE FLAVOR" = lord, almighty.
Gotta get me some of that.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Someone at UA procurement deserves to get a box.

Wow.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services
Originally Posted by aacharya
OP - there are currently two cheese plates - one is part of the BoB along with the hot food, and one cheaper one as part of snacks. This looks to be a downgrade of the snack one (it used to come in one sealed package), but not the cheese plate.

Can you clarify (skipping the hyperbole) what you ordered v. what your Hemisphere had?

If indeed this is the old "cheese plate", then yes, this is insanely cheap of UA.
Flight: SFO-DTW, 1 Nov 2017, Economy Plus (exit row)

Me: I'll have the cheese plate.
FA: Starting today, we have a new cheese option. We no longer have a cheese plate, but cheese and crackers in a box.
Me (in my head): Hmm...not a good sign.
FA: It's brand new as of today. Would you like to try it?
Me: OK.

When I read the over of the cheese box (see photo below if it uploaded), I lost my appetite. I placed it in the seat-back in front of me. In the second hour of the flight, I opened it, but didn't eat any of it. It was pretty sad. I sent an email to Global Services and they said they' would send it on to the Director of Food Services. My question was: How is cheese FOOD healthier than fresh cheese?? I'll see what they say.

According to the FA, the former cheese option from the Bistro on Board and the cheaper cheese snack have been discontinued as of 1 Nov 2017.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
The OP''s "complaint" is valid. When I saw this last night I checked the BOB menu and the three genuine cheeses offering was on the menu for $9.99. Today it's been replaced by a cheese snackbox (with the exact description given by the OP) for $6.99.

Presumably the "fresh" cheese option wasn't selling well so they've changed it to the "snack box" option using contents from the other snack boxes.

Not a "ripoff" per se as the price is cheaper but for those that may have enjoyed the "fresh" offering it's definitely a downgrade.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by KDS777
For some perspective, the one they serve in J is palatable.

Was there at least a warning label on your package that said......."Caution, may contain up to 10% real cheese".........?

Perhaps the mods could merge this thread with the one about the pax suing the LCC Sunwing Airlines for not serving actual champagne on their flights.
First world airline economy though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.