Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RPU only cleared on Leg 1 of Through Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K

Flying next weekend ORD-DEN-GEG on UA675. Same flight number but change of aircraft at Denver with 2 hour layover. Had an RPU to burn so applied it to this flight. The ORD-DEN leg cleared but DEN-GEG did not. Is it normal that a through flight wouldn't clear both legs at the same time? Also, am I at a disadvantage using the RPU when they start clearing CPU's. The flight is F9 A9 JN9 C9 D9 Z8 ZN8 P7 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Rpus clear one segment at a time like CPUs

if you want to be safe you can wait to see if a cpu clears then apply the rpu. But waiting can be risky too.

You can call and get an rpu removed but if you're original fare class is not available then you can't

Last edited by eng3; Oct 29, 2017 at 10:44 am
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Flying next weekend ORD-DEN-GEG on UA675. Same flight number but change of aircraft at Denver with 2 hour layover. Had an RPU to burn so applied it to this flight. The ORD-DEN leg cleared but DEN-GEG did not. Is it normal that a through flight wouldn't clear both legs at the same time? Also, am I at a disadvantage using the RPU when they start clearing CPU's. The flight is F9 A9 JN9 C9 D9 Z8 ZN8 P7 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0.
I'm surprised that it would clear on a single leg of a through flight, yes. I wouldn't have expected UA's system to split your through flight into separate segments. (It's a problem with the Island Hopper in particular, where the upgrade is usually all-or-nothing unless you can get a helpful agent to split the record manually).

Now that it's done so, you presumably have a split record, so you shouldn't be at any disadvantage when compared to CPUs. You might even get PQMs for ORD-DEN+DEN-GEG instead of ORD-GEG, but I wouldn't count on that until they post.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm surprised that it would clear on a single leg of a through flight, yes. I wouldn't have expected UA's system to split your through flight into separate segments. (It's a problem with the Island Hopper in particular, where the upgrade is usually all-or-nothing unless you can get a helpful agent to split the record manually).

Now that it's done so, you presumably have a split record, so you shouldn't be at any disadvantage when compared to CPUs. You might even get PQMs for ORD-DEN+DEN-GEG instead of ORD-GEG, but I wouldn't count on that until they post.
What I have to wonder is how they handle a change of gauge on a direct flight? I've seen reports of direct flights e.g. LAX-SFO-BOS and was wondering how the whole seat assignment thing works.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
What I have to wonder is how they handle a change of gauge on a direct flight? I've seen reports of direct flights e.g. LAX-SFO-BOS and was wondering how the whole seat assignment thing works.
It's been a few years since I had one, but my memory is that in all aspects of the experience except for PQM credit it was like having two different flight numbers.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Sounds like even though you had the same flight number, it was ticketed with different segments - so no difference from any other ticketed flight with connections and RPUs.

If not, please confirm what your screen looks like now - it has to have had to split the segments now.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by aacharya
Sounds like even though you had the same flight number, it was ticketed with different segments - so no difference from any other ticketed flight with connections and RPUs.

If not, please confirm what your screen looks like now - it has to have had to split the segments now.
When booked it was just one segment. When the upgrade cleared ORD-DEN it split into 2 segments.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
When booked it was just one segment. When the upgrade cleared ORD-DEN it split into 2 segments.
You're all good.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:27 pm

Does that mean more pqm?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. The DEN-GEG leg cleared last night so all is good.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
I've got a similar question. I'm flying the island hopper from KWA to GUM and it shows up as a single flight with two stops (not layovers) and I'm getting PQMs as if the flight was a non-stop despite stops in Pohnpei and Chuuk.

If I apply an RPU will it be applied to individual segments or the entire three legs? I would only want to use it if everything clears.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by therossinator
If I apply an RPU will it be applied to individual segments or the entire three legs? I would only want to use it if everything clears.
No. It will clear all-or-none based on R inventory on KWA-GUM, and reports are that your chances are basically nil if you have not cleared by the time the flight goes to gate control.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
No. It will clear all-or-none based on R inventory on KWA-GUM, and reports are that your chances are basically nil if you have not cleared by the time the flight goes to gate control.
Thanks for the reply, it may be a long shot, but being based out of GUM it seems like the best value I could hope to get out of one of these without being back in the states.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Does that mean more pqm?
Same flight number = credit from original departure to ultimate destination only (i.e. as if it were a nonstop point to point flight). Avoid "direct" flights like the plague because they're almost always Change of Gauge (even to the same aircraft type) and you don't get the credit for the extra flying...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.