Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes on non-refundable tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020 | 6:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
... I have some paid nonrefundable P fares with the fee and that is annoying that the fee is not refunded when United has not paid it to the UK government.
Those fees will be in the future flight credit and likely convertable to ETCs. My guess if you call after canceling the trip and request a refund, it is possible, have you asked?
Easier operational for UA to leave in in the FFC/ETC as APDs are smallish part of the overall ticket (under 10%)
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020 | 6:11 pm
50 Countries Visited1M5 Years on Site

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Those fees will be in the future flight credit and likely convertable to ETCs. My guess if you call after canceling the trip and request a refund, it is possible, have you asked?
Easier operational for UA to leave in in the FFC/ETC as APDs are smallish part of the overall ticket (under 10%)
I was thinking about going that route but the refund has just been approved for the whole ticket. I am thinking it is due to the DOT filing I made but none the less I am going to keep this in the back of my mind for future use (when the number is large enough to matter).
Old Apr 16, 2020 | 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no uniformly correct answer. It depends on the taxing authority.

By way of example, the US excise tax of 7.5% (currently not being collected) is a tax on the sale, not the use of the ticket. Thus, if the ticket is not refunded, the tax is not refunded, but is still paid over by the carrier to the US Treasury. If the ticket is refunded, then the tax is refunded because the sale has been rescinded.

UK APD is subject to refund by the carrier, which is free to charge an administrative fee for processing the refund.

So, it all comes down to the specific ticket and tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.