Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NarcissusNoir
As a flight attendant for UA, I just want to clarify... we absolutely hate flying in/out of DEN right now because of this. Trust me when I say that we feel the embarrassment about this, and while it is irritating and inconveniencing... do keep in mind that we're at the bottom of the pyramid and have absolutely no control over this. Every time that i'm in Denver now I have to mentally prepare myself to get yelled at about no lemons/limes and the BoB meals.
Thanks for posting and welcome to FT!

Please allow me to apologize on behalf of passengers who unfairly blame the flight attendants for the airline's failings.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
As a flight attendant for UA, I just want to clarify... we absolutely hate flying in/out of DEN right now because of this. Trust me when I say that we feel the embarrassment about this, and while it is irritating and inconveniencing... do keep in mind that we're at the bottom of the pyramid and have absolutely no control over this. Every time that i'm in Denver now I have to mentally prepare myself to get yelled at about no lemons/limes and the BoB meals.
Haven't flown through DEN since this started, but that's awful that you should be suffering as a result of UA's incompetence

I still can't fathom why they can't communicate something like "our kitchen facilities are being renovated" or whatever. Couldn't this just be in an "operational update" like they seem to enjoying sending out about the lounges in ORD?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Wait. No limes? This is a serious medical issue! Scurvy and all that. Seriously, this is approaching two months and UA just pretends all is normal. I’d say how can this be? But I’ve never found DEN to be on top of things. Too many years of gross lounges, snarly staff and spotty food at best. One of the bad apples in UAs network.

Last edited by milepig; Dec 21, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
What reports? What is United's "minimum" - show me UA's definition of "minimum". In my opinion, "minimum" does not approach what is promised, or suggested.

Here is what UA provides online as representative of their First and Economy offerings respectively. When UA is supplying something that looks like the latter in lieu of the former, they are not giving F passengers what they are being let to believe to expect - a salad, a roll, an entree, etc. Most people who have flown United (and fly UA on non-DEN catered routes), expect a normal F meal. It isn't being delivered.
Ha, when does any meal look like that? A representative picture doesn't make a minimum. Read the reports in this thread. We have over 20 pages of them now. Are customers generally getting at least a choice of entree plus a side and dessert (when applicable)? Yes. That's UA's published minimum. Not meeting "expectations? Likely. Deliberately so or some kind of fraudulent action? No.

Originally Posted by AugustusM
Oh, $750 ETC for my troubles.
Holy smokes. *Checks for cheap DEN meal flights*

Originally Posted by SFO28L
2 DEN-SFO flights in the last month. Both were traditional lunchtime flights. Both offered hummus and chips for the meal. That is clearly not the standard offering for a flight that I have taken numerous times. United has now coded many of these flights as snack flights but in general this would still be a single tray meal with a salad/sandwich at a minimum and they are not doing that. Basically if your plane is a through flight like ORD-DEN-SFO the ex-DEN will not be catered with the usual food. If it is an out and back route like SFO-DEN-SFO it might be double catered. They are making a calculated decision that saying nothing and compensating a fraction of flyers is cheaper and better for their brand then admitting whatever is going on and the plan to fix it.
Unfortunately what you received is the equivalent of the new lunch "snack". It's lame.

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is just a very simple - and very deliberate - customer service fail by UA. First in choosing the lowest possible cost "solution" of "let them eat BoB," then in choosing not to advise pax in advance that the meal service has been curtailed and does not meet published standards.
The "deliberate" part is where your complaint goes completely off the rails. If it truly was deliberate, there would have been no cause of the cuts and they wouldn't limit it to a local issue. And again, in general they are meeting published "standards". You continue to confuse your "expectations" with actual "standards".

Again, the only thing UA is guilty of is not widely warning passengers beforehand that the catering on their flight may be affected and giving passengers some remedy instructions if they wish to have a pre-flight solution. If they would do that. there's little else to complain about.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by minnyfly
...Again, the only thing UA is guilty of is not widely warning passengers beforehand that the catering on their flight may be affected and giving passengers some remedy instructions if they wish to have a pre-flight solution. If they would do that. there's little else to complain about.
Not sure why you're arguing with everyone. Your last sentence is basically what we are faulting UA for - nothing else. We have expectations on food in the F cabin and those expectations are based on UA's dining descriptions, as well as our experiences in UA's front cabin (in the past out of Denver and currently standard on other, non-DEN-loaded flights). UA is not catering to the expectations and they need to send out 1) a notice advising of such, 2) reassure the current situation is temporary, and 3) an estimate of when things will get back to normal. They also need to let passengers know what they can expect currently on Denver-catered flights so that the passengers can plan any adjustments to their eating plans.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Believe me, I have absolutely nothing but respect for the job the flight attendants do. I not only made it clear it was not their issue, but they handled it with class and professionalism. So much so that I handed out one of my compliment cards. My heartburn is exclusively with the GA that knew the situation on my specific flight and yet gave me and others bad info. Just tell the truth. Stuff happens and we deal with it. Just let us know the story and we can plan accordingly. Instead the entire FC cabin got their BoB choice and and nothing for the last 6 hours of the flight.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not sure why you're arguing with everyone. Your last sentence is basically what we are faulting UA for - nothing else.
Well I think some of us are also faulting UA for choosing the cheapest possible "solution" to this problem.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well I think some of us are also faulting UA for choosing the cheapest possible "solution" to this problem.
Classless is a better word!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Holy smokes. *Checks for cheap DEN meal flights*
That was for three A fare meals, two breakfast, one lunch.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:59 am

Again, the only thing UA is guilty of is not widely warning passengers beforehand that the catering on their flight may be affected and giving passengers some remedy instructions if they wish to have a pre-flight solution. If they would do that. there's little else to complain about.
Exactly. They refuse to deal with their customers in an open, honest and forthright manner. So much for Oscar's attempts to change the customer care culture at UA.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: UA GS
It’s for sure spreading. My last 6 flights from YYC to DEN (catered in ORD) hat the prepackaged cheese too, flights listed as dinner and blocked at 2:50. No second choice.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hoshattack
I still can't fathom why they can't communicate something like "our kitchen facilities are being renovated" or whatever.
I think the fear is that if they come clean, they will lose sales. They also have a credibility problem now. If they said "we will have this fixed in a week" would anyone believe them?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
My fear now is that United thinks we'll get used to it and they can keep the lowered standards and spread them across the system.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:41 am

Last week when I flew DAY-DEN-LAX, I skipped the meal on DAY-DEN, thinking that the Denver food situation had finally been fixed. Unfortunately, I was offered the carb fest choices of cheeseburger or pizza on DEN-LAX. If I had known beforehand that things really hadn't changed, then I would have done the chicken + salad greens meal offered on RJ 175 flight from DAY.

It would be nice if United went into a little more detail about this under the Amenities tab for the flight details so that customers could plan accordingly.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Great, but that is in no way clearly communicated by United. If this is a change to the service on the flight they have not made that clear. So they are either bad a doing so or they are being intentionally confusing. Noon time flights leaving Denver are listed at ~2:50. Here is the text from United's North America premium cabin dining website:

"Snacks are available on breakfast flights under 3 hours; A full meal service with two entree choices is available on breakfast flights 3 hours or longer; A full meal service with one hot and one cold meal option is available on dinner flights"

There isn't even a description of lunch. The definition of snack on United is not clear. For the breakfast flight SFO-DEN a "snack" is still a hot meal so why shouldn't I expect that on the lunch fight?

Unfortunately what you received is the equivalent of the new lunch "snack". It's lame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.