Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
So, I sent an email to customer care to complain about 3 flights where I had booked a P class ticket and did not get what I thought I was paying for and received a measly 2500 miles. YEP, United could care less. No news here.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by caverunner17
Curious, what are they doing for the NRT flights? Obviously cheese and hummus isn't going to cut it for an 11-12 hr flight.
Some stuff is being deadheaded in on a 78V from IAD. Not sure what all was in those carts but it was about half the total galley space last time I worked one of those flights.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I hope this is fixed soon

Booked DEN-HNL for Christmas and hope this is fixed by then (although I'll be happy if they just tell me far enough in advance that I can grab something on the way to the airport).
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by timbre
So, I sent an email to customer care to complain about 3 flights where I had booked a P class ticket and did not get what I thought I was paying for and received a measly 2500 miles. YEP, United could care less. No news here.
The trick is you need to write in each time and wait for comp before sending the next letter!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
The trick is you need to write in each time and wait for comp before sending the next letter!
Apparently so ... but my main goal was to let them know the current situation is not acceptable. I know, no one really cares. Sigh.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by timbre
... but my main goal was to let them know the current situation is not acceptable...
Current situation sucks, but (IMHO) it won’t be “not acceptable” enough to deter UA’s frequent flyers away from the airline if loyalty and/or routing/schedule overrides the marginal F food.

I find it interesting that everyone complains about the food and then suddenly the absence of the slop is the reason cited for not flying United. Food in F is just about the last reason I pick an airline.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Current situation sucks, but (IMHO) it won’t be “not acceptable” enough to deter UA’s frequent flyers away from the airline if loyalty and/or routing/schedule overrides the marginal F food.
I hear ya, but at the same time it is rarely one single thing that causes a long time customer to say "I've had enough." A whole bunch of little things add up. For me, being served the downgraded domestic menu on paid F SFO-ORD was the last straw that has led me to book the remainder of my 2017 paid F with other airlines. Plans for 2018 undetermined.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

I find it interesting that everyone complains about the food and then suddenly the absence of the slop is the reason cited for not flying United. Food in F is just about the last reason I pick an airline.
Different folks complain about different things.

That being said, if you've purchased F and the flight info says "meal", you're expecting a meal. Not a snack basket. Not a snackbox. Not BOB. And, frankly, decent service beyond just the meal.

And if you're flying International out of DEN in F, you need to be fed as well.

Or UA needs to inform those who are flying in F out of DEN what they will or won't get. Not letting folks know who aren't FT is more of the same stupid inconsistent service that the merged airline keeps doing so well.

David
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I hear ya, but at the same time it is rarely one single thing that causes a long time customer to say "I've had enough." A whole bunch of little things add up. For me, being served the downgraded domestic menu on paid F SFO-ORD was the last straw that has led me to book the remainder of my 2017 paid F with other airlines. Plans for 2018 undetermined.
But you’ve locked up 1K for 2018 and paid F on other airlines negates need for UA benefits? If you needed more miles/$ towards 1K, I’m guessing catering ex-DEN would be a minor concern?

I'm flying from Tulsa to Maui via Denver. Catering was a non-issue for me relative to being on a lie-flat to Maui.

just saying everyone’s situation is going to give catering a different level of importance relative to other influencing factors.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 24, 2017 at 3:36 pm
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But you’ve locked up 1K for 2018 and paid F on other airlines negates need for UA benefits? If you needed more miles/$ towards 1K, I’m guessing catering ex-DEN would be a minor concern?
Yes, 1K locked up in August. And catering ex-DEN doesn't affect me at all But just as a lame breakfast on SFO-ORD annoyed me enough to move $x,000 of tickets elsewhere, the DEN catering issue may similarly impact other UA regulars' decision making. It's IMO very short sighted of UA not to get ahead on the catering issue.

Catering was a non-issue for me relative to being on a lie-flat to Maui.
DL has lie-flats LAX to HNL and AS offers a better schedule SFO-MEX. And the fares were better than UA's.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Different folks complain about different things.

That being said, if you've purchased F and the flight info says "meal", you're expecting a meal. Not a snack basket. Not a snackbox. Not BOB. And, frankly, decent service beyond just the meal.

And if you're flying International out of DEN in F, you need to be fed as well.

Or UA needs to inform those who are flying in F out of DEN what they will or won't get. Not letting folks know who aren't FT is more of the same stupid inconsistent service that the merged airline keeps doing so well.

David
The lack of communication is a BIG problem. Talking to someone when I was getting ready to board for AMS in IAH, he had wondered what was going on with the food out of DEN because he hadn't heard or been told of the issue. He just wondered why the offering was poor and weird.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the issue is that this has gone on far too long and the simplest of steps have not been taken. They should be able to change the meal type on these flights at the flip of a switch but have chosen not to. Even simpler, add s travel alert for flights out of DEN. Just silence for weeks and weeks. Even better, ther must be some supplier at DEN who could service those flights but maybe for more than UA is willing to spend?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
The grass is not always greener elsewhere:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ring-problems/

And yes, United needs to do better at communicating for the current situation.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS
Now UA added purposefully lying to the DEN catering mess. Asked today at GS checkin and United Club about catering and meal voucher. I was told that catering is back up and running and no vouchers are needed any longer.
Of course getting on my flight (blocked at 2:50) its cheese and crackers or humus again.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: 1K
What can I expect tonight on DEN-YYZ in paid first on an ERJ175?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.