Search

2 stops cheaper than 1

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:34 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
2 stops cheaper than 1

I'm trying to fly TPA - HPN and when I look for flights it is cheaper to fly TPA-IAH-ORD-HPN ($370) than it is to fly TPA-ORD-HPN ($801) Dates 11/8 - 11/10.

Any idea why?

The 2 stops put me on the same ORD-HPN flight. It isn't like there aren't plenty of flights from TPA-ORD.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Sometimes it is cheaper because of the inconvenience factor. Over the years I have found no rhyme or reason really.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonisflying
I'm trying to fly TPA - HPN and when I look for flights it is cheaper to fly TPA-IAH-ORD-HPN ($370) than it is to fly TPA-ORD-HPN ($801) Dates 11/8 - 11/10.

Any idea why?

The 2 stops put me on the same ORD-HPN flight. It isn't like there aren't plenty of flights from TPA-ORD.
Originally Posted by gene2632
Sometimes it is cheaper because of the inconvenience factor. Over the years I have found no rhyme or reason really.
While that’s often true when it comes to one-stop vs. nonstop, it’s more rare for two-stop vs. one-stop. Having a one-stop route is rarely the competitive advantage that a nonstop route is.

In this case, it appears that United has decided it currently has no interest in selling tickets from Florida to White Plains. There are no fares filed for either TPA or MCO to HPN (I didn’t look further). For reasons known only to United, they’ve elected to require a B fare from ORD-HPN when constructing an end-on-end fare. Therefore, your flight through Chicago is pricing as a TPA-ORD in a discount class (S, I think), plus ORD-HPN in full-fare* B.

The IAH-HPN fares don’t have the same restriction, so you can combine a TPA-IAH W fare with IAH-HPN in L.

This is presumably an attempt to keep Florida-New York traffic on EWR flights.

* I often see B and Y both called “full fare,” although Y is clearly “fuller” than B.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is presumably an attempt to keep Florida-New York traffic on EWR flights.
This the part that I don't understand - there are several daily nonstops between TPA-EWR, and would seem like a better option, yet, I can't seem to book TPA-EWR-HPN! ...?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
This the part that I don't understand - there are several daily nonstops between TPA-EWR, and would seem like a better option, yet, I can't seem to book TPA-EWR-HPN! ...?
you used to be able to, back when COEX had begun to establish HPN as a mini-P2P station (HPN-CLE/DCA/YYZ/BOS/EWR)
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't book TPA-EWR-HPN because they don't fly EWR-HPN—at 36mi, that would be vying for shortest UA flight!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

:-) Well, I specifically meant TPA-EWR and terminating there, as opposed to splitting Florida - New York traffic between EWR and HPN. UA no longer flies EWR-HPN. (I wasn’t quite sure if you were being serious, since, as CALMSP points out, that flight did previously exist).

Personally, I’m just sad that I never managed to fly the IAH-EFD sector...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
:-) Well, I specifically meant TPA-EWR and terminating there, as opposed to splitting Florida - New York traffic between EWR and HPN. UA no longer flies EWR-HPN. (I wasn’t quite sure if you were being serious, since, as CALMSP points out, that flight did previously exist).

agreed, missed that and IAH-HOU myself. I was however able to get EWR-HOU!

Also missed out on all the LGA routes. NYC was packed with CO August/Sept. 2001 with EWR/LGA/HPN......granted, all SRJ/ERJ, but that was when they were new and the darling of flying.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA and UA have ORD-HPN non-stop to themselves and are charging $578 for a one-way ticket. These prices are aimed at business flyers who will pay a premium for the convenience of non-stop flights and often book one-way tickets. Meanwhile, a roundtrip ticket on the route is as low as $127. This is typical of legacies on routes where there is no or limited LCC competition. People often falsely assume such legacy pricing has disappeared, but it is actually still alive and well on certain routes.

Meanwhile, UA charges as little as $130 one-way for IAH-ORD-HPN because there are other competing connecting options (DL via ATL/DTW, AA via ORD/CLT) and the flights are also competing with many non-stop options (including LCC's) to NYC area from IAH/HOU which are often more convenient than taking a connection to get to HPN.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:32 am
Original Poster

All, thank you for the great replies! I actually learned a ton from all these responses!

I am now looking at flying into EWR or LGA and getting an Uber to White Plains (painful as it sounds). I'm also considering JetBlue (direct from Tampa).
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
In general, if you have the time, it may be worth considering a two stop if it is significantly cheaper.

Also, if weather or delays happen to be a factor, you have a chance to get extra compensation as well.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Though I never got to experience it as a paid flight, last year on a diverted MSY-IAH flight we landed at EFD and then went to IAH after a refueling. I even talked the FA into a second round of PDBs!

(Sorry, OP, to hijack this thread)

to answer you, it just happens that way. You may as well book the cheaper one and try to CDC (with or without status it will be cheaper). If you can’t, you can enjoy the extra miles
jonisflying likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
...I am now looking at flying into EWR or LGA and getting an Uber to White Plains (painful as it sounds). I'm also considering JetBlue (direct from Tampa).
UA has been training us well on looking at alternatives.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
All, thank you for the great replies! I actually learned a ton from all these responses!

I am now looking at flying into EWR or LGA and getting an Uber to White Plains (painful as it sounds). I'm also considering JetBlue (direct from Tampa).
B6 is a great airline and much better than UA in Y. I would go with the nonstop.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Is Stamford, CT, an acceptable destination for you? If so, you can get a TPA-ZTF roundtrip on UA/Amtrak for $404 on your dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.