Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Club gt 98 closed - Polaris policy not let me in - but wd let my wife in!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Club gt 98 closed - Polaris policy not let me in - but wd let my wife in!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
I'm not confused, but I am amused.
This thread shows FT at its best!
Bingo!

Expect a continuous flow of (mostly justified) SFO lounge rant threads over the next nine months.
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I'm not getting the "outlandish membership fees." You pay $450, but you get

* $200 in uber credits
* $200 airline fee credit (which can go to the Mileage Bank, if it ever works again)

That by itself nearly repays the fee. But you also get a Global Entry credit, Priority Pass, and other benefits. Seems like a no-brainer. The Centurion Lounges I've visited, in SFO and IAH, have the best food at those airports -- at any price.
$550*.

And meh. Both the Uber credit and the "airline fee" credit are an absolute pain to use, especially compared to the $300 statement credit toward all travel on the CSR. It's not $500 for the card, but I still am skeptical of the Amex Plat's value unless you're running enough airfare through it that 5x MR strongly beats 3x UR.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
And meh. Both the Uber credit and the "airline fee" credit are an absolute pain to use
Beg to differ. The credits are super easy to use. You charge, they credit. Uber comes right off the charge, airline credits are added to your statement within a matter of days.

In addition to $450 in credits, you get Centurion lounge access, SkyClub access, and National Executive status. Plus FHR access, and Hilton and SPG Gold if you don't already have status in those programs.

And if you're buying $15K a year in airline tix, 5x vs. 3x means an additional 30K MR points, worth in the range of $500-600.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
So you paid BIG TIME 28 years ago for a United Club memebership.

Just be thankful United Clubs are still around, and you didnt waste your BIG TIME money.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Beg to differ. The credits are super easy to use. You charge, they credit. Uber comes right off the charge, airline credits are added to your statement within a matter of days.

In addition to $450 in credits, you get Centurion lounge access, SkyClub access, and National Executive status. Plus FHR access, and Hilton and SPG Gold if you don't already have status in those programs.

And if you're buying $15K a year in airline tix, 5x vs. 3x means an additional 30K MR points, worth in the range of $500-600.
Fair - I was mostly alluding to the fact that the Uber credit is meted out monthly so you actually have to ride Uber every month (I don't - at least if on business travel it's direct billed; I rarely hire a car on personal travel and my Uber experiences have been very poor of late) and it's relatively difficult to manufacture value there. And the fact you have to cycle funds through travelbank is... silly. I don't charge $200/yr in organic "fees" either.

The soft perks are somewhat less for me as there is a lot of overlap with the other premier cards (I hold CSR and Prestige, the latter for 4NF), but perhaps the 5x > 3x is compelling enough to overcome all of it. Ironically I don't value CL access very highly, as in fact because SFO is my home base I don't spend that much lounge time there.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by findark
And the fact you have to cycle funds through travelbank is... silly. I don't charge $200/yr in organic "fees" either.
Don't have to cycle through anything. It comes straight off your statement. I easily burn this in farelocks or change fees.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
You bought a United Club membership. There are those available to you at SFO.

You are not in INTL J/F on UA/*A so I don't understand the complaint about not being able to go into the Polaris lounge other than your DYKWIA sentiments.
I understand the complaint. Back when those memberships were offered, "United Club" was synonymous with "our airport lounges". Fast forward to today, and the UC are very crowded, so UA builds a new lounge - great!. But rather than build a new UC, they build a "Polaris" lounge which weasels them out of commitments. Even if OP had the credit card that gains him access, I'd side with him for being upset.
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:22 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I think the OP is trying to say that he's flying SFO-TPE with SFO-TPE waitlisted as a GPU. So he's sitting in economy, and they won't let him in the UC club.

And then on a separate ticket, he was in a paid first DOMESTIC ticket, he tried accessing the ORD Polaris club with his UC membership and was turned away.

Nothing to see here, OP didn't read the entrance conditions.
Couldn't his wife guest him into the Polaris lounge or is that not a thing?

He's speaking about the temporary "Polaris access" lounge in the space that used to be the GFL. Only passengers ticketed in *A business class are allowed access. Club members are not.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jpr1953
Just arrived SFO on way to TPE - The usual club at gt98 was closed...no signs along the way to indicate!!....my wife is in BUS - I am on GPU - waiting to see if I make the upgrade... - they would not let me in to the Polaris club.
OK, it's hard to know where to start with what's wrong with this statement...

Firstly, there is no "usual club at gt98". There was historically an International Flight Lounge (that you would not have had access to when travelling in Economy) near that gate, but no UC.

The "usual club" in the International Terminal (the one near security) is closed, but there are signs (and every time I've been there, UA staff) in front of that lounge directing to where the alternatives are.

There is no "Polaris club" lounge at SFO. The IFL has been re-tasked as a lounge for international business/first passengers (as the signs in front of both it and the old/closed international club location say). Given you were not in business/first, you obviously don't get access to that club.

I understand UA wants to keep us rabble out of the Polaris clubs, but, I paid big time for club membership and it was a forward investment/risk I took.
You paid for access to the United Club lounges. You get access to the United Club lounges. Why do you think you should get more than you paid for?

The clubs are crammed (there is not a single seat available in Gt 68 club right now).....
There is no "Gt 68" lounge (unless you happen to have confused Dogpatch Cafe for a lounge?). I presume you mean the lounge between gates 69 and 70, which unfortunately is frequently crowded (especially with the international club closed) - next time I suggest you use the lounge opposite gate 71 as it is far less crowded in my experience.

my point I guess is I pay (paid for life) for club membership (its not my flight status that gets me in) but I don't qualify to get into Polaris unless I am in BUS..
You paid for life for United Club access (or more likely RCC access, which is the same thing as the RCC->UC was simply a name change). If United ever offers a life membership for Polaris lounges then you might be able to purchase that as well - but until then you're only going to get that you've paid for - access to UC's.

Originally Posted by helvetic
Couldn't his wife guest him into the Polaris lounge or is that not a thing?
Business class passengers do not get to guest a passenger into any lounge.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I was on a paid first class domestic tkt but not allowed into the club!). Anyway - wonder what people think about the Polaris only clubs - I am a bit miffed I guess - I am 2MM, 1K for years, AND I paid life member of the club in 1989!!! (It was a decent amount of money). I understand UA wants to keep us rabble out of the Polaris clubs, but, I paid big time for club membership and it was a forward investment/risk I took....
The Polaris Club and the United Clubs are different, just as the Global First Lounge and United Clubs are different. Were you admitted to the Global First Lounge when you were flying a domestic first ticket as a UC member? I'd suggest looking at the admittance rules for the Polaris Club so you can understand what the access policies are. There are 3 United Clubs open at SFO that you can access. I hope you didn't make too much of a misinformed scene at the reception desk

Originally Posted by Gig103
...But rather than build a new UC, they build a "Polaris" lounge which weasels them out of commitments. Even if OP had the credit card that gains him access, I'd side with him for being upset.
This is nonsense. United has operated the Global First Lounges at the same time as Red Carpet lounges and United Clubs - that was not "weasels out of commitments". Multiple United Clubs are available at SFO, and that's what the credit card and club memberships are good for. The Polaris Lounges are being built, in part, to replace the GFLs for front-cabin long-haul customers.

I'd be a poor CSR at a Polaris lounge reception desk with all the DYKWIA blowhards who are sure they know they're entitled to entry because they have a UC membership even though nowhere is a UC sign. Lack of knowledge is a fuse for a lot of avoidable confrontations.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2017 at 2:27 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
I had a domestic flight (economy) out of the SFO international terminal to IAD then connected to a flight to AMS in Polaris Business. I tried to enter to the lounge based on the same day flight in Business class but was denied entry at G98 because my first flight was in economy. Was this correct?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by sfonorth
I had a domestic flight (economy) out of the SFO international terminal to IAD then connected to a flight to AMS in Polaris Business. I tried to enter to the lounge based on the same day flight in Business class but was denied entry at G98 because my first flight was in economy. Was this correct?
Probably not but there are no official published rules for the new lounge. If it were a Polaris lounge, you would have been entitled to access.

I would probably complain to 1kvoice.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Probably not but there are no official published rules for the new lounge. If it were a Polaris lounge, you would have been entitled to access.

I would probably complain to 1kvoice.
I think the response will just be an "apology for the inconvenience, but limited space has forced us to restrict admittance".
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think the response will just be an "apology for the inconvenience, but limited space has forced us to restrict admittance".
Given the current crowded conditions, I really don't think this is unreasonable.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That doesn't mean it's not complaint worthy. This fiasco is due entirely to UA's poor planning.
porciuscato likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.