Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does it seem somtimes the entire cabin crew is great or terrible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does it seem somtimes the entire cabin crew is great or terrible?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question Why does it seem somtimes the entire cabin crew is great or terrible?

I had a flight today where everything went perfectly - friendly greeting when boarding, clear announcements from both FA and pilots, safety rules enforced, 1K free drink/food offered without asking, diligent recycling for EcoSkies... It was a 737-900 and every single FA did the job well. (Flight was on-time and bags were delivered fast!)

That got me thinking...it seems a lot of the time either the whole crew performs well or the whole crew just does not seem to care.

I know one factor is probably if they are starting their day/trip or ending (wonder if UA ever run any correlation on that).

However, I wonder if there are other factors? For example, are certain pursers/in-flight service coordinators better at leading/motivating than others? Do FAs who feel they are good teams together choose to and get to work together? Or, it is the simple effect of contagious attitude?

Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by username
However, I wonder if there are other factors? For example, are certain pursers/in-flight service coordinators better at leading/motivating than others? Do FAs who feel they are good teams together choose to and get to work together? Or, it is the simple effect of contagious attitude?
I have wondered the same thing.
It's either they are ALL good/great or ALL bad/awful. Quite seldom is there a mixed crew where a few are great and a few are bad. It happens, but it really does appear to be all or nothing.

Likely a combination of some or all your scenarios.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
It is called leadership. You see it in airplanes, you see it in business and you see it sports. If the leader of the team, the crew, the office is an SOB with a bad attitude it filters down and every one has a bad hair day, including the customers.
kittiyut and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by gene2632
It is called leadership. You see it in airplanes, you see it in business and you see it sports. If the leader of the team, the crew, the office is an SOB with a bad attitude it filters down and every one has a bad hair day, including the customers.
+1 for either excellent or dreadful service

With the caveat that sometimes one of the crew members is influential even though they may not technically be the leader. They are easy to spot.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by gene2632
This is why I particularly single out and express my appreciation to the Purser on the flights where the crew is performing well. I've been extremely impressed with the SFO-BOS crews of late - particularly on the 77Ws where the work load is high and their can do service attitude has been exceptional.

I've been less than impressed on flights where the lead identifies themselves otherwise.

David
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
On a flight from Rome to Chicago last month I had the worst crew ever. Why is it, if the flight attendants have two-tone color nail polish that they have the worst attitudes in the sky… just plain rude and belligerent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.