Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Seeking Gold - Relatively High Spend, low miles, low segs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking Gold - Relatively High Spend, low miles, low segs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skgolf91
they won't do anything if you call but you have to wait until January, that's when the marketing department or whatever the department, chooses people to bump up the status. i'd say you have a chance of getting bumped up. my wife had only about 65k PQM but $20k+ PQD and ended up with Premier 1k! and I had about 15k PQM and 7k PQD and got bumped to Silver.. def higher PQD helps!
hmmmm...looking back at 2016 I had 9672 PQM, 18 PQS and $6429 PQD. I got bumped up to silver for 2017 (I didn't have status at Marriott in 2016).

And I had earned silver "journeyman" style on segs outright in 2014. My travel was way down in 2015 with the oil price collapse in 2014 and no status in 2016.

Maybe I just wait until Jan and see what happens....doesn't sound like headway is made on the phone. I just didn't want to wait it out if I needed to make some calls....
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Actually on top of you need to arrive on a UA flight, you also need to be UA*G to access UA club on arrival, as long as you are UA*G, it doesnt matter even you flew in Y. This rule has been used since UA club was RCC !
If one arrives ORD in UA Polaris, one does not need *G status to enter Polaris ur UC lounges.at ORD.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
OP - Lots of great deals to Singapore right now from both coasts - around $500 - maybe look into a quick weekend trip? I'm leaving on a Friday Night coming back Sunday evening.

Also, if it really is lounges you want - perhaps look into the UA club card or just buying a UA membership? Around the same price and you can also then have lounge access on domestic itineraries.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
No but if you really want gold you can always buy PQM.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:02 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by ronocnikral

So, my main trade routes are just barely over 500 base miles. At 50,000 miles needed, I'm roughly 22,000 miles short, I'll need about 8 Round trips in F (which isn't usually sold on my lil' regional jet). With 10-11 weeks left in the year, I won't take that many trips.
so why does gold matter? 2 free 70lb bags? free same day change flexibility? pqd multiplier? are you savy with award points and like whatever perks golds have left for mileage plus awards? marriott gold match (which is pretty damn valuable imo)?

can't use lounge domestic (not that you're missing anything), you're zone 2 anyways, you're on an rj and row 1 sucks, cpu is pointless unless you have a crew that can pour moscow mules down your beer bong.

maybe you should split silver between 2 different alliances so you get something from each. i think a ua club membership is extremely stupid, just expense meals at airport restaurants.
Long Zhiren likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
hmmmm...looking back at 2016 I had 9672 PQM, 18 PQS and $6429 PQD. I got bumped up to silver for 2017 (I didn't have status at Marriott in 2016).

And I had earned silver "journeyman" style on segs outright in 2014. My travel was way down in 2015 with the oil price collapse in 2014 and no status in 2016.

Maybe I just wait until Jan and see what happens....doesn't sound like headway is made on the phone. I just didn't want to wait it out if I needed to make some calls....
There are reports of people with over 12k PQD getting comped to Gold. Definitely not something to rely on, but I would not be too surprised if it happened.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by eng3
No but if you really want gold you can always buy PQM.
+1 via the accelerator
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cur
so why does gold matter? 2 free 70lb bags? free same day change flexibility? pqd multiplier? are you savy with award points and like whatever perks golds have left for mileage plus awards? marriott gold match (which is pretty damn valuable imo)?

can't use lounge domestic (not that you're missing anything), you're zone 2 anyways, you're on an rj and row 1 sucks, cpu is pointless unless you have a crew that can pour moscow mules down your beer bong.

maybe you should split silver between 2 different alliances so you get something from each. i think a ua club membership is extremely stupid, just expense meals at airport restaurants.
They have actually started flying rjs with first class and economy plus, so yes being able to select an economy plus seat at booking would be a plus. An extra point per dollar would be nice, but it's not the end of the world. I booked our award tickets through aeroplan this summer since the award chart was more favorable.

Lounge access overseas would be nice when traveling personally. I know I can buy lounge access, but I guess I sort of feel like I shouldn't have to with all the money being spent with united. It would have been nice at Cph this summer when the priority pass lounges had a line to get in.

I've actually been looking at southwest. A lot of my travel is being shifted to love and hobby, so I can do mostly direct flights. The companion pass would be a plus and help out with my domestic flights for the family (no zone 5 boarding bs). With similar spend levels for next year, united may not be interested in my little chunk of cash. Jan will tell me which way I should go.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: UA
Check out another section on FT, Mileage Run Deals.

If you have the time you should fly to Singapore from EWR to knock out about 22000 miles.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:04 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
They have actually started flying rjs with first class and economy plus, so yes being able to select an economy plus seat at booking would be a plus. An extra point per dollar would be nice, but it's not the end of the world. I booked our award tickets through aeroplan this summer since the award chart was more favorable.

Lounge access overseas would be nice when traveling personally. I know I can buy lounge access, but I guess I sort of feel like I shouldn't have to with all the money being spent with united. It would have been nice at Cph this summer when the priority pass lounges had a line to get in.

I've actually been looking at southwest. A lot of my travel is being shifted to love and hobby, so I can do mostly direct flights. The companion pass would be a plus and help out with my domestic flights for the family (no zone 5 boarding bs). With similar spend levels for next year, united may not be interested in my little chunk of cash. Jan will tell me which way I should go.
yeah i think wn is a good idea. honestly ua bidness is really nothing more than e+ with 2 seats open and a hot meal if you're longer than 3hrs.

yes star lounges abroad (except ac) are very decent, especially the tk lounge in ist. and the ua club in lhr is definitely same calibre as the sq (nicer seating) and lh (amazing do+co breakfast). and the ua club in nrt is actually better than the nh lounges. but a lot of star lounges also suck. and i do not think any lounge is worth paying for unless you have a mega layover, at which point i'd advise to just leave the airport and go to a day spa/bath house/sauna/the y. also if you're alone, you can always just ask someone near the door to +1 you (then use the HILARIOUS line: "hey. i'll buy you a drink"). don't get elite tilt: is an apple wrapped in saran wrap worth the time and effort? i know free self pour bourbon is. and star gold does have its perks, provided you do some overseas travel and have a habit of bringing back boxes of fresh food and spices.

all fair points but i'm kinda 50/50 on whether i agree with the "i should have gold solely based on all the money being spent". the game still involves going the distance with ua. so maybe book one of those $500 sin mile runs and show us that you WILL go the distance .

Last edited by cur; Oct 13, 2017 at 11:20 am
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i was thinking that the WN program probably makes most sense to you if you can make it work. obviously doesn't work to North Dakota, but should be decent coverage DEN-Texas. my gf has a similar travel pattern (short distance trips within CA, but all refundable fares) and compiles a nice stash of points and A list status with fairly minimal flying. meanwhile i fly mostly West Coast-EU for work and always feel like I am scratching and clawing to make platinum level status.

you could then consider a high tier personal CC to provide the lounge access you seek (ie, AMEX PLAT)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.