Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Seeking Gold - Relatively High Spend, low miles, low segs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Currently I sit at about $10,500 in PQD, 17,800 PQM and 29.5 PQS for the year. I'll probably end the year at about $15k+ in PQD on United, but I may log another 10k in PQM and 10-15 PQS.

I'm just wondering how likely they are to bump me up? I still plan to call next week once I cross the "silver" PQS threshold (which comes with my Marriott Platinum status anyway). Anyone heard of them doing something like this?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It's unlikely you'll get bumped up unless you meet all of the requirements, unless your employer has a special arrangement with United and you have many employees with similar high-spend travel patterns.

I assume you know about the PQM multipliers for certain fare classes. Depending on your upcoming travel, might be worth springing for F instead of P/Z fare classes, which is generally a cheaper way to get PQM than to buy Premier Accelerator.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:08 pm

You'll be over 20k PQM short of gold - they won't bump you up nearly that far.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA
Just out of curiosity how are you getting such a high PQD with while averaging 600 miles per segment? You're pretty much at 50 cents per mile. If you're getting the premium + Y/B fare PQM bonus then you're really at an astonishing spend/PQM.

Seems like you're falling through the cracks of the system since you'll easily hit the 1K PQD requirement but barely hit the silver PQM. Usually its the other way around for most people.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

First, sorry I missed this... not sure if this thread belongs in the wiki....Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

So, my main trade routes are just barely over 500 base miles. At 50,000 miles needed, I'm roughly 22,000 miles short, I'll need about 8 Round trips in F (which isn't usually sold on my lil' regional jet). With 10-11 weeks left in the year, I won't take that many trips.

Sigh...I just want lounge access when I get dumped off my one or two award international C or F and fly united short haul F back to Denver. Yes, I know I can buy it, but why do it when it's free? That, and like gambling, I want my hope of ever getting an upgrade to go up, but I know it would virtually be impossible on the routes I fly.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Just out of curiosity how are you getting such a high PQD with while averaging 600 miles per segment? You're pretty much at 50 cents per mile. If you're getting the premium + Y/B fare PQM bonus then you're really at an astonishing spend/PQM.

Seems like you're falling through the cracks of the system since you'll easily hit the 1K PQD requirement but barely hit the silver PQM. Usually its the other way around for most people.
This was my thought, the system is designed to reward those that fly a lot, which United really cares how much money you are spending (see change in redeemable miles). I know "rules are rules," so I get it, but I'll still call a couple times and ask. With it sounding rare, I won't pee into the wind too much.

I book DEN to DIK/MAF/IAH. Oilfield routes, and I typically book no more than a week out, often the day before or day of.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ronocnikral
I book DEN to DIK/MAF/IAH. Oilfield routes, and I typically book no more than a week out, often the day before or day of.
Do you have a choice of airlines? If United didn't treat you really well would you go somewhere else?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Sigh...I just want lounge access when I get dumped off my one or two award international C or F and fly united short haul F back to Denver. Yes, I know I can buy it, but why do it when it's free? That, and like gambling, I want my hope of ever getting an upgrade to go up, but I know it would virtually be impossible on the routes I fly.
Is your International C or F on United or Star Alliance before your connecting flight to Denver? If yes, you would have access to the United Lounges in the connecting airport.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
You have the classic profile of a "captive." My sympathies. IMO, a fairer FPP program would award status based on meeting at least 2 of four factors -- EQS, EQD, EQM, and a new one that I just made up, average $ per mile flown ("EQDPM"). It's just a thought, and I won't hold my breath expecting something like that to happen anytime soon.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Is your International C or F on United or Star Alliance before your connecting flight to Denver? If yes, you would have access to the United Lounges in the connecting airport.
Not to derail the thread too much beyond my $0.75/mi (yes, I just put it in a spreadsheet), but I have been denied access multiple times at SFO and at IAH with C or F int'l boarding pass in hand. Usually the frumpy ladies tell me it is for outbound only (which always works).

And I just realized my math above is incorrect, I would need 32,000 miles, not 22,000!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to derail the thread too much beyond my $0.75/mi (yes, I just put it in a spreadsheet), but I have been denied access multiple times at SFO and at IAH with C or F int'l boarding pass in hand. Usually the frumpy ladies tell me it is for outbound only (which always works).

And I just realized my math above is incorrect, I would need 32,000 miles, not 22,000!
If it's a UA flight, you should have access upon arrival. If it's a partner flight, you won't.

I think your 22K number was coming from incremental flying, beyond the 10K you expect to get organically.

UA is unlikely to bump you up. Your cheapest lounge option is going to be buying one-time passes for the dates when you want access. If you really want *G, you're likely to have to pay for it. You can get 20K+ PQMs via TPAC travel, even in Y. Of course, that's a lot of flying in Y...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

When I fly international in C on United and connect to an economy-only flight back to my small city in the US, they allow me to wait for my flight in the Polaris Lounge in ORD.

I guess you must be flying the international portion on a Star Alliance flight not an United one.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 11, 2017 at 8:23 pm Reason: My statement was wrong if OP is on a Star Alliance flight
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
If it's a UA flight, you should have access upon arrival. If it's a partner flight, you won't.

I think your 22K number was coming from incremental flying, beyond the 10K you expect to get organically.

UA is unlikely to bump you up. Your cheapest lounge option is going to be buying one-time passes for the dates when you want access. If you really want *G, you're likely to have to pay for it. You can get 20K+ PQMs via TPAC travel, even in Y. Of course, that's a lot of flying in Y...
some things just aren't worth it, like premium cabin TPAC on united metal. or TPAC in Y on any metal.

A few phone calls while sitting at the airport, I think might be worth the effort however.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
they won't do anything if you call but you have to wait until January, that's when the marketing department or whatever the department, chooses people to bump up the status. i'd say you have a chance of getting bumped up. my wife had only about 65k PQM but $20k+ PQD and ended up with Premier 1k! and I had about 15k PQM and 7k PQD and got bumped to Silver.. def higher PQD helps!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
If it's a UA flight, you should have access upon arrival. If it's a partner flight, you won't..
Actually on top of you need to arrive on a UA flight, you also need to be UA*G to access UA club on arrival, as long as you are UA*G, it doesnt matter even you flew in Y. This rule has been used since UA club was RCC !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.