Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Entertainment System hasn't been updated at least since April. FA Confims it.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Entertainment System hasn't been updated at least since April. FA Confims it.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

I fly to Japan 3 to 4 times a year LAX-NRT route, UA 32 + UA33, always in business.

Flew in April 2017, May 2017, August 2017 and just recently in September.

Each time, the entertainment system had the exact same "New Releases" and "Classic" movies. It wasn't that new films were added in addition to older "New Releases", it was just the exact same selection of films, with nothing new added since April, AFAIK.

I talked to the FA (who recognized me from my frequent travels on this route) after take-off. Asked her why they haven't updated the Entertainment System in months? She apologized and said that she had repeatedly told UA to update the system, when other passengers noticed and complained, but they haven't. She also told me the Wifi entertainment system had more up-to-date films. However, it didn't, it was the exact same selection. She said the only thing to do was to write to United, and complain.

Is anyone else encountering this situation, or is this limited to specific routes and flights?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Yes i noticed this on the 763s while the 772s had slightly newer titles. I only discovered this as both LH and AI both had several new films not carried by UA.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
Whew - I thought it was just me. Yes, I noticed this too. Rogue One has been on there forever as a new release. Twin Peaks and Mars have been on there for months too in the TV section. Wonder what's going on.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
they haven't had any music/CDs in years ... so why is anyone surprised? Let's see how long they can keep the same movies going ... could be years
Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jigen666
I fly to Japan 3 to 4 times a year LAX-NRT route, UA 32 + UA33, always in business.

Flew in April 2017, May 2017, August 2017 and just recently in September.

Each time, the entertainment system had the exact same "New Releases" and "Classic" movies. It wasn't that new films were added in addition to older "New Releases", it was just the exact same selection of films, with nothing new added since April, AFAIK.

I talked to the FA (who recognized me from my frequent travels on this route) after take-off. Asked her why they haven't updated the Entertainment System in months? She apologized and said that she had repeatedly told UA to update the system, when other passengers noticed and complained, but they haven't. She also told me the Wifi entertainment system had more up-to-date films. However, it didn't, it was the exact same selection. She said the only thing to do was to write to United, and complain.

Is anyone else encountering this situation, or is this limited to specific routes and flights?
Maybe a little bit different in 77Ws, PMCO 777, and PMUA 777. Three of those were updated with movie Logan, so it must have been a recent update, definitely newer than April 2017. A couple of new movies were there, but definitely not worth mentioning at all.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. Flew the 747 in March/April SFO<->ICN. Flew 2 weeks ago ORD-LHR (763) and LHR-SFO (747) and 95% of the titles were the same.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:42 pm

I suspected as much.

Sigh. First, the food. Now, the IFE. Someone on another thread claimed that Oscar is the head of the state, but Kirby is the prime minister, who really is running the show now.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:02 pm

This is funny (well, maybe not funny) that you posted this. I have not flown on an international since May and am about to fly next week. I always check out the movie menu/list beforehand so I know if there is enough to keep me entertained. And I looked at the menu just yesterday and I saw almost nothing new on it. I was expecting lots of new stuff. Quite disappointing if they are not updating the selection.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I just wish it would work properly. Last two trips in J to Brasil about 1/3 of the movies I tried to watch went into a loop after the commercial and kept reloading from the start.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Reading this is both sad and helpful. I’m headed to DEL in two weeks and now plan on testing Netflix’s new download function the night before instead of watching Rogue One yet again.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I flew to Singapore (ORD->HKG->SIN) in July and September and the movie selection especially the new releases, were different on both flights.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There are new releases on ps flights. Just got off one, the IFE system didn't work, however. The experience was like streaming on a slow connection. Worst of all, FAs made no real attempt to rectify the issue.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
The IFE updates are about as fast as the Polaris retrofits.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Wait...I thought Polaris would usher in a new era of food and entertainment (sarcasm now dripping from dinner tray)

It's for this reason I load up my iPad with much more interesting content than attempting to navigate a truly terrible IFE system.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

The only good thing I can see about this, is that I can still watch "Keeping Up With The Joneses", instead of taking a sleeping pill. Man that film was awful.
LASUA1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.