Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refundable ticket just for lounges hopping?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Hi experts,
Is it illegal to buy refundable J ticket just to enjoy the premium lounges for a few hours and then cancel the ticket and go home? Will airline ban or blacklist flyer just for this? Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi experts,
Is it illegal to buy refundable J ticket just to enjoy the premium lounges for a few hours and then cancel the ticket and go home? Will airline ban or blacklist flyer just for this? Thanks!
It's not "illegal", but it violates the contract of carriage. Buying a J ticket with intent not to fly may prevent someone who actually needs to travel from buying one. Pretty selfish.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's not "illegal", but it violates the contract of carriage. Buying a J ticket with intent not to fly may prevent someone who actually needs to travel from buying one. Pretty selfish.
Buying one on a light flight that is several months out won't cause that problem, but of course it still violates the CoC.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
A refundable J fare is a lot of money to charge to your card - even if you're planning to get a refund. I'm assuming you have a high unused credit limit on your card.

I'm also assuming you're referring to a US domestic airport. Just curious which lounge you were thinking of that would be worth it. If you do this in another country (where the better lounges are) where you essentially clear border controls to get airside, you'll have to clear passport and customs to get out. Could be viewed as suspicious. Finally the "cry wolf" issue - if you do this enough to get noticed, what happens when you really do need to cancel a trip just before boarding?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Buying one on a light flight that is several months out won't cause that problem, but of course it still violates the CoC.
But it wouldn't get you into the lounge, either.

OP: If you get caught, you risk forfeiting your MileagePlus account and status and getting banned from the program. UA will take this very seriously, as they will consider it a lost revenue opportunity.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi experts,
Is it illegal to buy refundable J ticket just to enjoy the premium lounges for a few hours and then cancel the ticket and go home?
Depends on local laws. It's illegal in Singapore: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...at-the-airport

Will airline ban or blacklist flyer just for this? Thanks!
It's possible.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Additionally, the airline may bill you for the lounge access if they catch on to what you're doing.

Man Hit With 2000 Euro Bill for Scamming Lufthansa Lounge Access.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:13 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
You could probably get away with this twice before United would wise up. 3rd time would surely get you blacklisted.

However, I'd say don't even do it once. In my mind, it's theft, plain and simple. You're using/consuming a product that is part of something you're buying with no intent on using/paying for. Justify it in you own mind however you want, but it's stealing to me.
prncess674, nnn, diburning and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
You could probably get away with this twice before United would wise up. 3rd time would surely get you blacklisted.
There's a thread in the AC forum about an SE who was "indefinitely suspended" for doing this. Super Elite Suspended

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Justify it in you own mind however you want, but it's stealing to me.
+1
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
But it wouldn't get you into the lounge, either....
Doh
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Frankly, what's the point!? A business class lounge is just a room with chairs and some crappy food in, a place to make waiting for a flight slightly less bad. It's not a premium experience in absolute terms, only relative to the alternative.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I would not suggest doing this. It almost feels like theft. Also you’d be occupying a seat that is potentially very profitable to the airline. And even in a light load situation the seat being removed from inventory hurts standby passengers including non-rev employees who are commuting. Also my understanding is UA is developing applications that track this conduct. There was some news on that front tied to the announcement of the Polaris lounges.

Now I think the access rules to the Polaris lounges are overly punitive to Star Gold in economy (at least offer it to 1K/GS?). But that’s a different topic.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Frankly, what's the point!? A business class lounge is just a room with chairs and some crappy food in, a place to make waiting for a flight slightly less bad. It's not a premium experience in absolute terms, only relative to the alternative.
You forgot the most important variable here. It's "free". That's what the point is.

I'm not saying I'm for it or I would do it, but that's the counter-argument.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
A refundable J fare is a lot of money to charge to your card - even if you're planning to get a refund. I'm assuming you have a high unused credit limit on your card.

I'm also assuming you're referring to a US domestic airport. Just curious which lounge you were thinking of that would be worth it. If you do this in another country (where the better lounges are) where you essentially clear border controls to get airside, you'll have to clear passport and customs to get out. Could be viewed as suspicious. Finally the "cry wolf" issue - if you do this enough to get noticed, what happens when you really do need to cancel a trip just before boarding?
I don't know the UA Clubs, but AA has some sit-down restaurants in their new "Flagship" locations. They might be nice enough.

Originally Posted by Tblack15
You forgot the most important variable here. It's "free". That's what the point is.

I'm not saying I'm for it or I would do it, but that's the counter-argument.
And "free" doesn't count the cost of the transit to/from the airport, or airport parking if you drive your own car.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:51 pm

The issue of this being theft aside, buying and canceling tickets is not free for United. Most merchants have to pay a fee to refund money, so they end up losing a little money even if you don't. That just drives up United's costs, which ultimately get passed on to the rest us.

I wouldn't advise doing this at all. Highly unethical, in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.