Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Official: Final United Boeing 747 Flight Was SFO-HNL on 7 Nov 2017 {SOLD OUT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: expert7700
News Release Issued: September 18, 2017 (3:17pm EDT)
SCROLL DOWN FOR LIST OF FLYERTALK MEMBERS ON THIS FLIGHT

"Friend Ship" Will Recreate the Journey of the First United 747 Flight from 1970

United's final international 747 flight from Seoul to San Francisco departs October 29

CHICAGO, Sept. 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- In celebration of United Airlines retiring the Boeing 747 from its fleet, United flight 747, on Tuesday, Nov. 7 from San Francisco to Honolulu will be the airline's farewell flight to the 747 fleet.

This journey will serve as the ultimate throwback for customers, employees and invited guests as it recreates the first 747 flight operated by United in 1970. From a 1970s-inspired menu to retro uniforms for flight attendants to inflight entertainment befitting of that first flight, passengers will help send the Queen of the Skies off in true style. The original United 747 aircraft that first made this journey from San Francisco to Honolulu was named the "Friend Ship," the same name bestowed on this farewell flight.

Seats on this special, one-way trip, United flight 747, are available for purchase now at united.com or through the United app. The seats in the upper deck will not be sold, giving all guests the opportunity to spend time in this iconic space.

Customers seated in United Polaris first class and United Polaris business class will be entered into a drawing that will take place at the gate prior to boarding for an opportunity to occupy one of a select number of seats in the upper deck during the flight.

The journey will begin with a gate celebration at 9 a.m. local time at San Francisco International Airport, featuring a Boeing 747 gallery, remarks from United employees and executives, as well as refreshments. The flight will depart San Francisco International Airport at 11 a.m. local time, landing at Honolulu International Airport at 2:45 p.m. local time. Upon landing in Honolulu, local employees will welcome the aircraft with final festivities to close out the historic day. Customers and fans of the Queen of the Skies are encouraged to use the #UA747Farewell hashtag in social media posts.
United and the Boeing 747 through the Years

April 13, 1966: Boeing announces it will build a 490-passenger 747 transport. Construction is set to begin in June on a new plant in Everett, Washington.

January 3, 1967: The first production workers for the 747 program arrive in Everett. The 50,000 who would produce the world's largest civilian airplane were known as The Incredibles, and they earned the label by bringing the Jumbo Jet dream to reality in only 16 months.

September 30, 1968: The first Boeing 747-100, City of Everett, is rolled out at their Washington plant, painted with the insignias of the 27 airlines that had already ordered the aircraft including United.

February 9, 1969: The Boeing 747-100 makes its first flight.

January 21, 1970: The Boeing 747 makes its first commercial flight from New York to London for Pan American World Airways.

June 26, 1970: Continental Airlines becomes one of the first carriers to put the Boeing 747 into U.S. domestic service, flying from Chicago to Los Angeles and onward to Honolulu.

June 26, 1970: United Airlines receives its first Boeing 747-100 complete with a christening ceremony fit for a luxury liner.

July 23, 1970: United makes its first Boeing 747 commercial flight, with a trip from San Francisco to Honolulu.

January 1977: A modified Boeing 747-100 is delivered to NASA to serve as a carrier vehicle for the Space Shuttle.

April 22, 1985: United announces its plan to acquire Pan Am's Pacific routes, as well as 11 Boeing 747SP planes. The 747SPs feature a 48-foot-shorter body and fly higher, faster, and farther than standard 747 models.

January 29-30, 1988: Friendship One, a Boeing 747SP owned by United Airlines, sets the around-the-world air speed record of 36 hours, 54 minutes, and 15 seconds. This special flight raises $500,000 for children's charities through the Friendship Foundation. Tickets cost a minimum of $5,000, and special guest passengers included astronaut Neil Armstrong, famed test pilots Bob Hoover and Lieutenant General Laurence C. Craigie, and Moya Lear, the widow of Lear Jet founder Bill Lear.

June, 1989: United Airlines receives their first Boeing 747-400 which provides increased range.

August 23, 1990: The first of two modified Boeing 747-200Bs is delivered to the Air Force for presidential transport. Better known as Air Force One, these planes still serve the president today, having replaced the Boeing 707-320Bs that had served as the presidential aircraft for almost 30 years.

September 1996: A 747SP previously flown by United is transformed into NASA's SOFIA, or Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy, which carries a 17-ton, 8-foot-wide infrared telescope mounted behind an enormous sliding door.

June 28, 2014: Boeing delivers the 1,500th 747 to come off the production line. The 747 aircraft is the world's first wide-body airplane in history to reach the 1,500 production units milestone.

January 11, 2017: United announces that it will retire the Boeing 747-400 fleet in the last quarter of 2017.

July 28, 2017: United schedules a special domestic flight from Chicago O'Hare to San Francisco to allow more people to say farewell to the Queen of the Skies.

October 29, 2017: United flies its last international 747 flight from Seoul to San Francisco.

November 7, 2017: United celebrates the retirement of the Boeing 747 with a fitting full-circle moment. A special retro event sees the aircraft flying from San Francisco to Honolulu—a nod to its first-ever flight back in 1970.
Flight Status Link
(May require multiple attempts to load; close and re-click if website errors.)

ARE YOU ON THIS FINAL 747 FLIGHT?

FT Handle -- seat (optional)

ORD4R - 2A
tcdtcd and son - 450pm return to ORD - 2K/3K
kevanyalowitz - 3H (will trade for 1A/K!)
jdivenere - 4A
UA1flyer - 4C
CO FF - 6K (return to LAX on HA2 @ 3:45pm or UA 534 @ 9:45pm)
ctownflyer - 7A
JSpira - 9K
EWR764 - 19G - return @ 420pm to EWR UA62
ChiTownMuggle - 20D
Ruhr - 20H
pushmyredbutton - 20K
greg99 - 21D
BThumme - 22A - return @ 945pm to LAX
goldelite8 - 22G
Trijet1011 - 24A
MRY Flyer +1 - 24 H&J
Cybertronic - 25H
Sykes - 33C
ZRS70 - 33H
eklapper - 34A
plc44 - 34K
Pat89339 - 35C
CaptKornDog - 36C
eap+1 - 40HK
ual763 - 51k
expert7700 - 36K

Seatmap below shows FTers in red. Valid as of 11/6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrwq0gdcdb...FTers.jpg?dl=0

Print Wikipost

Official: Final United Boeing 747 Flight Was SFO-HNL on 7 Nov 2017 {SOLD OUT}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
The map shows many open seats, but the app also shows all cabins as "full".
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
After pushback, showing 3 seats showing open in business (on the UD nonetheless). And THAT many seats open in coach?!?!

Lots of cancellations, miscalculations of demand or both? I think a lot more people wanted on that plane than got on it. Seems a little disappointing--unless our trusty friends on board can chime in once they hit 10,000 feet to tell us that the plane is indeed full.
Load is surprising indeed.
I for one did not even bother to try to get on the flight once I saw an opening in my travel schedule - assuming it would be sold out anyways .....
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Load is surprising indeed.
I for one did not even bother to try to get on the flight once I saw an opening in my travel schedule - assuming it would be sold out anyways .....
I think it was only an hour between the first post on FT and when it was reportedly sold out. Probably a majority going to media.

I guess they didn't want a full flight. Too many sundaes to load.

I was surprised to see 3 empty seats in J with 121 people on the standby list. Maybe the did some reconfiguration and used up 3 seats, though I would think they would be blocked in that case.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
I think it was only an hour between the first post on FT and when it was reportedly sold out. Probably a majority going to media.

I guess they didn't want a full flight. Too many sundaes to load.
I'm thinking they were saving room for the Hula dancing?

Any reports as to whether the crew was at least allowed to wear Hawaiian garb if they chose to?

I must say that I'm glad to see United spending what in the end is a drop in the bucket in terms of their budget to see the 747 out in style. Good job, and they're certainly getting lots of press. Everything I've seen down to the type font on the menus was thought through.

There are already a ton of videos on YouTube. I like this one of the Queen flying through the clouds:

And here's one with the water cannons and all, not sure if it's actually from today:

And the actual takeoff from a runway cam. You can skip to 32:00. The angle at about 33:00 shows what a beautiful bird she is.

Last edited by milepig; Nov 7, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
No water canon on departure. The FD trucks left when we were on mechanical.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by milepig
I'm thinking they were saving room for the Hula dancing?

Any reports as to whether the crew was at least allowed to wear Hawaiian garb if they chose to?

I must say that I'm glad to see United spending what in the end is a drop in the bucket in terms of their budget to see the 747 out in style. Good job, and they're certainly getting lots of press. Everything I've seen down to the type font on the menus was thought through.

There are already a ton of videos on YouTube. I like this one of the Queen flying through the clouds:

Last 747 United flight "the 👑 of the sky" - YouTube

And here's one with the water cannons and all, not sure if it's actually from today:

FINAL FLIGHT: United Airlines last remaining 747 makes its final flight from SFO to Honolulu - YouTube

And the actual takeoff from a runway cam. You can skip to 32:00. The angle at about 33:00 shows what a beautiful bird she is.
I think the video is from the last LHR flight
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Looked out my office window and caught the SF flyby!
Attached Images  
tuolumne and snowed like this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
No water canon on departure. The FD trucks left when we were on mechanical.
They couldn't have done the water salute first since you guys were just sitting there?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Farewell, Your Majesty: United Airlines Flies the 747, the "Queen of the Skies," One Last Time

UA747, currently en route from San Francisco to Honolulu, is a recreation of the airline's first 747 flight in 1970

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 7, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines (UAL) flew – for the final time – a Boeing 747 aircraft, the jumbo jet with the unmistakable silhouette that once represented the state-of-the-art in air travel.

Serving as the ultimate throwback, the airline recreated the first 747 flight operated by United in 1970 for today's historic farewell journey. Flight UA747 departed from San Francisco with service to Honolulu with more than 300 customers, employees and distinguished guests onboard.

To download high-resolution images of the 747 final flight, visit http://newsroom.united.com/UA747Farewell.

From a 1970s-inspired menu to retro uniforms for flight attendants to inflight entertainment befitting of that first flight, the "Queen of the Skies" is being sent off in style. Seats for this flight sold out in less than 90 minutes when this farewell celebration was announced in September.

"The iconic 747 is a remarkably special aircraft that signaled a new era of air travel and was equally recognizable and beloved by our customers and crew alike," said Oscar Munoz, CEO of United. "While today is bittersweet, we'll continue to honor the Queen of the Skies' game-changing legacy of connecting people and uniting the world with our next-generation of long-haul aircraft."

The send-off began this morning at SFO with a gate party featuring a 747 gallery, 1970s costumes for use in a retro photo booth, a life-size retirement card for customers and employees to sign and of course, cake. Oscar Munoz addressed the crowd alongside State Senator Jerry Hill and executives from Boeing and Pratt & Whitney.

Upon landing in Honolulu, local employees will welcome the aircraft with final festivities to close out the historic day, including remarks from United leaders and Hawaii State Representative Henry J.C. Aquino.

747-400 Facts and Figures
• The 747-400 ranks as the commercial airliner with the largest passenger interior volume, at 31,285 cubic feet.
• At 231 feet, 10 inches from nose to tail, the 747-400 is roughly as long as five humpback whales end-to-end.
• The wingspan (211 feet, 5 inches) is about 10 feet wider than the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.
• Its wings have a surface area of 5,650 square feet, bigger than a standard size NBA basketball court.
• A typical trans-Atlantic flight uses over 5.5 tons of food supplies— more than the weight of a large Asian elephant.
• The tail height is 63.8 feet, equivalent to a six-story building.
• The aircraft contains 171 miles of wiring, enough to connect New York City to Baltimore.
• The 747-400 is one of the fastest passenger aircraft in service, with a cruise speed of 565 mph, more than twice as fast as a Formula One car.

United's 747 Through the Years
June 26, 1970: United Airlines receives its first 747-100 complete with a christening ceremony fit for a luxury liner.
July 23, 1970: United makes its first 747 commercial flight, with a trip from San Francisco to Honolulu.
April 22, 1985: United announces its plan to acquire Pan Am's Pacific routes, as well as 11 747SP planes. The 747SPs feature a 48-foot-shorter body and fly higher, faster, and farther than standard 747 models.
January 29-30, 1988: Friendship One, a 747SP owned by United Airlines, sets the around-the-world air speed record of 36 hours, 54 minutes, and 15 seconds. This special flight raises $500,000 for children's charities through the Friendship Foundation. Tickets cost a minimum of $5,000, and special guest passengers included astronaut Neil Armstrong, famed test pilots Bob Hoover and Lieutenant General Laurence C. Craigie, and Moya Lear, the widow of Lear Jet founder Bill Lear.
June, 1989: United Airlines receives their first 747-400 which provides increased range.
September 1996: A 747SP previously flown by United is transformed into NASA's SOFIA, or Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy, which carries a 17-ton, 8-foot-wide infrared telescope mounted behind an enormous sliding door.
January 11, 2017: United announces that it will retire the 747-400 fleet in the last quarter of 2017.
July 28, 2017: United schedules a special domestic flight from Chicago O'Hare to San Francisco to allow more customers to experience the Queen of the Skies.
October, 2017: United employees get a chance to say goodbye to the 747 when the aircraft goes on a farewell tour with stops at each of the carrier's U.S. hubs.
October 29, 2017: United flies its last international 747 flight from Seoul to San Francisco.
November 7, 2017: United celebrates the retirement of the 747 with a fitting full-circle moment. A special retro event sees the aircraft flying from San Francisco to Honolulu—a nod to its first-ever flight back in 1970.
snowed likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
They couldn't have done the water salute first since you guys were just sitting there?
The FD engines were over near 28R. We never made it that far when we stopped. We should get one in HNL.

Oh and the retro movie being played is Grease!

Last edited by Pat89339; Nov 7, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I was originally skeptical, but reading and viewing and watching says it all:

a huge genuine hats off to Oscar and the entire planning organization for prioritizing making the sendoff unique and special. There is nothing more awesome than the Queen, and today's festivities and the leadup recognize that very well.

Going all in on social and traditional media mentions/access was also smart and becoming of the Queen

and having the final passenger arrival be in Hawaii is just so very special.

Very sad to see the 747 go. Extremely. But I am focused on relishing the hundreds of thousands of transpac miles I was privileged to fly on the UA747. And I am so happy my young children got to experience it several times too.

Hope all FTers on the final flight are/were able to enjoy it to the full!

Originally Posted by Pat89339
The FD engines were over near 28R. We never made it that far when we stopped. We should get one in HNL.

Oh and the retro movie being played is Grease!
Thankfully they weren't fully true to the 70's and kept WiFi available for live blogging. Cheers!
tuolumne and snowed like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 7, 2017 at 3:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
To download high-resolution images of the 747 final flight, visit http://newsroom.united.com/UA747Farewell.

Any idea who the women in the light blue suit in the last picture might be? I'm guessing one of the original FAs? Looks like the entire outfit might be a PanAm uniform.
snowed likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Is WiFi free? I guess not.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:30 pm

I'm listening to the ATC archive to find this flight. There's alot of reference to a bunch of helicopters SW of the airport. I wonder if those were all for watching this flight or if there was some other incident.

Did they do "half way to HI"? looks like you just passed it
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm listening to the ATC archive to find this flight. There's alot of reference to a bunch of helicopters SW of the airport. I wonder if those were all for watching this flight or if there was some other incident
They were for UA747. One of the helicopters was CBS SF and was broadcasting live on their website. An ABC helicopter requested to divert to San Carlos to refuel (during the delay), but after UA747 announced they were ready to go, it turned around.

I also heard a coast guard helicopter as well. Not sure if that was related.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
They were for UA747. One of the helicopters was CBS SF and was broadcasting live on their website. An ABC helicopter requested to divert to San Carlos to refuel (during the delay), but after UA747 announced they were ready to go, it turned around.

I also heard a coast guard helicopter as well. Not sure if that was related.
HA, I was wondering if those helos were going to have enough fuel to hang around and wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.