Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Purchase/travel major $$$ ticket by 15 Nov 2017 and earn bonus miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
link ---- Similiar to last year's (2016) promo
Targeted and offers vary

Terms and conditions:

For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United® and United Express® will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by Star Alliance™ member airline or a United MileagePlus® partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate and then calculate the number of miles you will earn. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You will not earn Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) or award miles for the full amount of the displayed price for these itineraries because the U.S. Federal Transportation tax is not eligible to earn PQD or miles.

For this promotion, rewards will be awarded for each spending threshold that has been met, subject to the terms and conditions. Threshold bonuses may be earned only once. Partial bonuses will not be awarded for members who don't reach a certain threshold. All calculations made in connection with this offer will be made by MileagePlus in its discretion and considered final.
1. Only original recipients of this email invitation can register and participate in this promotion.
2. Registration is required by November 1, 2017. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
3. Ticketing dates: September 14, 2017, through November 15, 2017.
4. Offer is valid for travel beginning on or after September 14, 2017, and completed on or before November 15, 2017.

5. Tickets purchased in Basic Economy (N fare class) are not eligible for this promotion.
6. Offer is not valid on government fares.
7. Qualifying flight activity must be posted to the member's MileagePlus account in order to qualify for this offer.
8. Flights on award travel tickets and other tickets that do not earn Premier qualifying credits do not qualify for meeting the requirements of this offer.
9. This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
10. Bonus will post to your MileagePlus account six to eight weeks after the promotion end on November 15, 2017. Bonus will be calculated using the originally ticketed fare and/or fare classes and Economy Plus® purchases, as applicable, and subsequent changes to any fare and/or fare classes as a result of itinerary changes, complimentary or paid upgrade, purchase of travel products (including but not limited to United ClubSM, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM), irregular operations or otherwise will not be considered.
11. Bonus award miles are redeemable miles and do not count toward Premier status. Award miles do not apply to class-of-service bonus miles, Premier bonus miles or promotional Premier qualifying miles.
12. Dollars earned toward this promotion will count as Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) toward MileagePlus Premier status qualification, but do not guarantee status. All other requirements must be met for the applicable Premier status.
13. E-Ticket purchase is required. Service charges for ticketing with a United representative in the 50 United States, District of Columbia and Canada are $25 by phone, $30 at a City Ticket Office and $35 in person at the airport. Ticketing charges may vary outside of the U.S. and Canada and based on MileagePlus status level. The ticketing service charge does not apply for tickets purchased on united.com. Service charges are subject to change without notice.
14. Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
Print Wikipost

[Targeted] Purchase/travel major $$$ ticket by 15 Nov 2017 and earn bonus miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Worried I'd missed the email, but I'm not eligible. Too bad, as I'd have blown it out of the water!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
:-) No problem. I just misunderstood what you were trying to say.

"Ticket stock" refers to the airline that issued the ticket. All tickets issued by United airlines are said to be "plated" on United "stock." The terminology goes back to the days of paper tickets, when a travel agent would keep a book of blank ticket stock for each airline they served, and would have a metal plate that would be inked and stamped onto the ticket in order to validate it as having been issued (and not stolen or forged). All United ticket numbers begin with 016, so "016 stock" just means "a United-issued ticket;" your question about "016" tickets made me think that you had gotten tickets from another airline for domestic travel on United. That's possible, but it would be unusual, and I asked because I wanted to make sure that we weren't leading you in the wrong direction.

TL/DR: "016 stock" is "a ticket issued by United;" "non-016 stock" is "a ticket issued by another airline."

Being on a mixed cabin won't affect your eligibility for the promotion.

You said that the ticket in question was purchased during the promotional period. The actual requirement is that the ticket be purchased after you registered for the promotion. So, if you learned about the promo today, tickets purchased on 9/17 won't count; but if you signed up for it on 9/16, tickets purchased on 9/17 will count.

You may be able to see the PQDs for future travel on your reservation summary -- look for a link that says "MileagePlus earning information" on the web or "Accruals for this trip" on the app. It won't appear for every itinerary, and sometimes what it says won't make any sense. But if it shows something reasonable -- about $380 for your RSW-PHL trip, I'd say -- it should be correct.
Great learning lessons here. Definitely registered first before booking. There was a 1st Class ticket for $333/each but we thought that as long as it equaled up to $800 that was it. Hopefully 1 day we can see you or WineCountryUA at a DO (if you attend them) someday so that we can learn these things somewhat better.

So if they don't count the SEA-PHL booking then we would need to book at least 1 more flight before the promo ends, then there would only be a shot for the $500/5K - correct? If so, then it wouldn't be worth it to go any further unless the trip was necessary.

I/we can get the 5K miles easier and cheaper through car rentals alone such as the present Hertz 5500K promo sent to me.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
According to the T&Cs-
Ticketing dates Sept 14th-November 15th.
No tickets purchased prior to registration count.

But my first opportunity to register was on 9/22. Even got an "oops" email saying sorry that the prior link to register didn't work. I did purchase tickets on 9/19. Is there a case to be made for those being allowable?

As for the details for mine-
$1300 for 2500 miles
$2500 for 33,500 miles

This may be aimed at enticing people to buy biz fares to make up the difference between the two numbers.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Ineligible.

I have about $24K travel planned during this period, but not yet booked.

(Eligible last year, but i fell short of missing the first benchmark.)
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mommafrica
Great learning lessons here. Definitely registered first before booking. There was a 1st Class ticket for $333/each but we thought that as long as it equaled up to $800 that was it. Hopefully 1 day we can see you or WineCountryUA at a DO (if you attend them) someday so that we can learn these things somewhat better.
I can't speak for WineCountryUA, but I've never done a DO. But I'm happy to answer questions here to the best of my ability. :-)

So if they don't count the SEA-PHL booking then we would need to book at least 1 more flight before the promo ends, then there would only be a shot for the $500/5K - correct? If so, then it wouldn't be worth it to go any further unless the trip was necessary.
Looking at your prior post, it sounds like the SEA-PHL trip was booked prior to registering for the promotion (likely, before the promotion was even announced). So, yes, that spending won't count, absent one of the unlikely events I mentioned before, such as a weather waiver that would allow you to rebook. (Even then, the original purchase date might stick on your reservation). During last year's promo, if you re-visited the promotion page after you registered, it would show your promotion progress. I'm not sure if they're doing it this year, as I wasn't eligible.

I/we can get the 5K miles easier and cheaper through car rentals alone such as the present Hertz 5500K promo sent to me.
I agree with this; while I could see choosing UA over a competitor due to this promotion, it seems like a pretty expensive way to gain miles if you're considering trips that you wouldn't otherwise take.

Hope this helps.
mommafrica likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
No email but was able to register:
72,500 total award miles for a total of $4,600 spent:
$2,500 spent for 11,000 miles and an additional
$2,100 spent for an additional 61,500 miles.
Just in time for my 4th quarter bookings. Nice!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Link to offer:

https://promotions.united.com/offers/flyunited

I did not receive the email but had a ridiculous offer (already qualified for 1K with more than $12000 spend):

Spend $4100 receive 16,000 bonus miles
Spend $7500 receive 96,000 bonus miles
No offer for me
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:13 am

I almost deleted the email
Subject : “Exclusive Offer for you”

Sounded like a credit card offer..

Just FYI
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Worried I'd missed the email, but I'm not eligible. Too bad, as I'd have blown it out of the water!
Was offered 122,000 miles for $9,000 spend. If I had been offered that early this year it might have kept me flying UA. Instead am now MVP Gold 75K at Alaska and have spent much more than that on Emirates, Air France and BA in business and even first. Upcoming flight on CX. Getting lots of bonus miles flying this way so why look back. Already have similar plans for next year. Given my travel patterns do they really think I am about to spend $9,000 in two months when I am not even near qualifying for 1K again. Mind you, I have been treated well by UA, but too little too late. Too tired of waiting for upgrades to clear. I just wait for a good buy on a business/first ticket and buy it. Have choice of many great airlines. UA needs a better way to keep international flyers in the fold, especially with the slow rollout of Polaris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.