Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines left mom in wheelchair stranded in New Jersey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines left mom in wheelchair stranded in New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'd like to see more info, rather than take just the son's version. Was she bumped, or did she miss boarding? "Bumped" as used by the son, may be completely different than what we know "bumped" as. What time did her inbound land? Was she met by a porter? Did she approach the gate before door closing and have her BP rejected? Etc.

If it was a deliberate face-to-face bump, the GA should be fired. Today. Nevermind the union. If it was a mind-numbingly, world-class stupid action by the GA, UA should not just slap his/her wrist. The public will want to know that they will not have to run into the same person in a customer-facing capacity.

United needs to get out and explain exactly went on instead of letting the son's version be the only one out there. Either confirm it or provide more details if the son's story is not the entire story. United's PR people appear to be bottom-of-the-barrel types.
1. I can't believe that in twelve hours, no one checked on the lady.

2. I assume she went to the bathroom on her own during that time; yet she asked no one from United for assistance with her travel situation?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by ermintrude
What do you suggest for elderly disabled people who have to look after themselves?
Perhaps relatives or friends. Another option would be to hire someone. It is not the airport or airlines responsibility to baby sit an Adult or child (unless the parents of the child payed unaccompanied minor fees). When an elderly person is booked on a flight, and they can not take care of them self, THINK BEFORE BOOKING.

I am with UA on this. I would say the same thing with all other carriers.

Side note: Typical this happened at EWR (New Jersey). Those are perhaps the rudest employees in the World. UA chose this as a hub because of People Express and Continental (at EWR). No service to JFK.

Every first line carrier flies to JFK. Not UA.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What do you suggest for elderly disabled people who have to look after themselves?
It depends on the disability. In this case, I'd say hire someone for the purpose of assisting them or don't go.

Originally Posted by seenitall
Just to note, UA is a commercial passenger carrier, not an air ambulance service.
I agree whoever planned (well, lack thereof) this travel screwed up left right and center. Not a sensible decision was made.

The ACAA says UA has to provide wheelchairs/porters (which they choose to do via contractors) and not a whole lot beyond that. But the wheelchair/porter does not address all of the challenges this passenger faces traveling independently, especially when the airline fails to execute on their own published schedule. Per UA's claims they went above and beyond, but when the passenger refuses their claimed services, what can they do? They can't force her to not sit at the gate for 12 hours.

The sEWeR is really just the icing on the cake here, I can't see how it would go any different in Houston.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Wheelchair service is required under the Air Carrier Access Act. The airlines don't have an option to restrict or discontinue the service.

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...s-disabilities
This is really interesting. I had no idea the rules were this detailed. In this case, it looks like they could have required the mother travel with a safety assistant, and I suppose that is an area they could get more strict on. ("Sign this release that you don't need a safety assistant or you will have to have one"). Certainly, these rules are written more for physically disabled people than for mentally disabled people as you would expect.

There is also a 30 minute limit for leaving an immobile person unattended. But I suspect, waiting at the gate, she may not have been unattended.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Dalewood
That's false. UA has confirmed that they "checked on her throughout the evening." The fact that she chose to remain by the gate rather than take the free hotel room that was offered, coupled with the fact that her son is now falsely claiming she was IDBd, has led many to conclude that the passenger was profoundly confused about her situation.

2. I assume she went to the bathroom on her own during that time; yet she asked no one from United for assistance with her travel situation?
It makes no sense to me either. I cannot imagine allowing a parent in that condition to fly without assistance on an international itinerary requiring a connection.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100
In this case, it looks like they could have required the mother travel with a safety assistant
Most 77yr olds are mentally competent regardless of their need, or lack thereof, of a wheelchair. How would an airline determine that an assistant is required unless the passenger, or passenger's family member, told them?

There's also quite a range in the capability of passengers who request wheelchair service. Anything from those who simply can't walk or stand for extended distances/periods to those who have no control over their limbs. The request for the wheelchair service alone isn't enough to make any determination of the passenger's ability to be independant.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most 77yr olds are mentally competent regardless of their need, or lack thereof, of a wheelchair. How would an airline determine that an assistant is required unless the passenger, or passenger's family member, told them?

There's also quite a range in the capability of passengers who request wheelchair service. Anything from those who simply can't walk or stand for extended distances/periods to those who have no control over their limbs. The request for the wheelchair service alone isn't enough to make any determination of the passenger's ability to be independant.
And heck, how many times have we seen people get brought to the gate in a wheelchair, they board first, then they are suddenly fully capable at their destination. I know I have. NOT saying that is what happened here as it is quite clear she needed the wheelchair. But I wonder, how much of the "dementia" is being fabricated by the son to garner sympathy? And it seems the woman is the one who decided to stay by the gate and not take the hotel and transport to the hotel. UA says thy checked on her. So how much of this whole thing is the son trying to get their moment in the spotlight to take advantage of a situation against an airline that has had a lot of bad publicity lately? Probably a lot.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: none

I chalk this statements above to "journalistic exaggeration" where you take a grain of truth, add a dash of speculation, and include only those facts that support whatever your opinion might be.

To the son's defense, the report is that he DID call to check on her and UA told him she made the flight. If that's true, then that's a major Customer Service failure. However, given the other inconsistencies in the story, I will wait for the whole truth before I jump to any conclusion.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Wheelchair service is required under the Air Carrier Access Act. The airlines don't have an option to restrict or discontinue the service.

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...s-disabilities
Just as well we have laws like this, as some posts on this this thread shows. An extreme example would be Ryanair who tried to prevent wheelchair assisted customers from flying on it's aircraft (Thrown out by the EU).

The one fact that seems not to have been challenged is that ultimately a lady (77 years old) sat in a wheelchair at a gate for 12 hrs when arrangements could have been made to accommodate her instead of just (apparently) giving her a 1K UA ETC, including (apparently) 2 much earlier flights that she likely would have cleared as a standby.

I agree with many that a non stop flight should have been booked if available, but the story doesn't stop there.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 16, 2017 at 1:02 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
The one fact that seems not to have been challenged is that ultimately a lady (77 years old) sat in a wheelchair at a gate for 12 hrs when arrangements could have been made to accommodate her instead of just (apparently) giving her a 1K UA ETC, including (apparently) 2 much earlier flights that she likely would have cleared as a standby.
Which suggests there wasn't any availability on those flights. It's practically impossible to get UA to cough up for a hotel room when there are no alternatives.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Which suggests there wasn't any availability on those flights. It's practically impossible to get UA to cough up for a hotel room when there are no alternatives.
Yet the reports say UA offered a hotel and even transportation to the hotel and she refused.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Which is my point - they wouldn't offer a hotel room if they had seats.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver

One simple response would be that if you request a wheelchair, you have to represent whether or not you need an assistant and if you answer "no", you agree the airline is not liable for anything related to not having an assistant. The one time I arranged for a wheelchair for an elderly relative a couple of years ago, on UA, I don't recall having to do that. But I also put that relative on a direct flight in first with another family member.

As it is, it would appear in this case, so long as they checked up on her every half hour, UA met what was required. It remains that it is foolish not to have a family member accompany someone not capable of taking care of themself.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Allan38103

To the son's defense, the report is that he DID call to check on her and UA told him she made the flight. If that's true, then that's a major Customer Service failure. However, given the other inconsistencies in the story, I will wait for the whole truth before I jump to any conclusion.
I thought airlines couldn't give out info if a passenger boarded a flight or not? My friend was coming to see me around 2012, just lost his phone the night before but was able to send me a quick email. I think it was AA I call but they said they can't give out that type of info even though I had his conf # and all other info (I booked the flight).
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
From my experience I am first to praise UA for their handling of a pax with a disability.
My niece is blind.
They accompanied her from check in in a mid west USA regional airport to her gate.
They looked after her transferring flights in DEN and LAX and they accompanied her thru immigration, baggage claim and customs\quartantine in Sydney personally 'delivering' her into our hands in the arrivals area.
It was the same on the return journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.