Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR process to luggage transfer w/ seperate tickets / different alliances

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi,

My family is planning a TLV-EWR-MCO trip.

In similar trips in the past, I was booked with the same airline, and went through the following procedure:
* The luggage was labeled in TLV with both legs
* In EWR, after immigration clearance we picked up the luggage, went through customs, and re-placed the luggage for the 2nd leg.

This time we have a separate ticket for each leg, with the different airlines (LY & probably UA).

I assume in TLV the luggage will be labeled only for the first leg.

After immigration, luggage pickup and customs, where do I check-in the luggage for the 2nd leg?

Do I have to go out of the airport and check-in like I came from the city, or is there any kind of a transfer desk where I can check-in my luggage?

How much time do you believe I will need in EWR for the whole process?
(we are NOT US-citizens)

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The sole difference is that you pull off your tags (or the agent does) and have to re-tag the bags at the same transfer desk.

I would add 10 minutes to your normal transfer for this process, assuming XX to UA.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Be aware that you have neither a connection nor a transfer. You have two totally separate flights. If your inbound to EWR is late or cancelled you should expect to buy a new return MCO ticket as this will have auto-cancelled when you no-show. You may save a few bucks by booking separate tickets but you need to be aware of the risks.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
The sole difference is that you pull off your tags (or the agent does) and have to re-tag the bags at the same transfer desk.

I would add 10 minutes to your normal transfer for this process, assuming XX to UA.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware they can print luggage tags there - I thought they only scan the existing tag and send them on.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Be aware that you have neither a connection nor a transfer. You have two totally separate flights. If your inbound to EWR is late or cancelled you should expect to buy a new return MCO ticket as this will have auto-cancelled when you no-show. You may save a few bucks by booking separate tickets but you need to be aware of the risks.
I am aware of it. It was not done to save a few bucks, but because the TLV-EWR was an LY award ticket.
If you have any suggestions to resolve that - I would be happy.
The trip is in summer 2018, and only the award ticket was booked - planning to book the additional 4 legs in the coming days.

My whole trip is much more complicated.
There are no return ticket in it (except TLV-NYC-TLV), but several one-way legs.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:26 am
Suspended

I would leave a lot of room, possibly an overnight stay, but it's really down to your risk appetite. When I book separate tickets, I almost always build in an overnight stay and have a plan B ready to go.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I would leave a lot of room, possibly an overnight stay, but it's really down to your risk appetite. When I book separate tickets, I almost always build in an overnight stay and have a plan B ready to go.
How is that useful in a thread about checking a bag during a connection? OP seems to be on top of it
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
LY will arrive at Terminal B. UA has a bag drop right outside international arrivals in Terminal B (turn left and the corridor to your left). There are kiosks there as well. Can get boarding pass and check bags. Then take AirTrain to Terminal C and clear security there.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I book separate tickets, I almost always build in an overnight stay and have a plan B ready to go.
Having a Plan B is smart. Booking an overnight every time is probably excessive. I do it all the time and almost never have issues. In fact, the most recent time where I did have a problem the overnight I had booked (for convenience of flight times, not for schedule padding) wasn't enough. Last flight out cxld and I was nearly screwed. Switched carriers and scored a last minute walk-up award (dirt cheap compared to the 500+ GBP fare) and got on with my life.

But, for the OP, the transfer desk folks should be able to check you in and tag the bags. The caveat will be a matter of arrival time and whether UA has the counters staffed in Terminal B where EL AL arrives. UA has some international service at Terminal B but only during limited hours. I'm not sure that the transfer desk is staffed all day. If it is not you have to take the bags on the Air Train to Terminal C and go through the normal check-in process.

If a US citizen I'd leave 2.5-3 hours for the process, mostly around a small delay buffer plus lines and baggage claim time. With Global Entry maybe shave 15 minutes off but not much more because of checked bags. If not a US citizen add an hour.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
depending on whether LY has an interline agreeement with UA, they may be able to tag the bag through, but possibly not (UA, for example, on separate tickets, will only tag bags through on * partners, not other carriers. This is a policy decision, not a technical limitation - they used to do this, so will depend on LYs policy).

If they do tag it, as noted, you'll need to pick up on arrival, and drop on the transfer belt -I think there's one in B. If not, Not sure if UA has an agent to check you in/tag bags in B - if so you can do that there. If not, you'll have to carry yourself to B and use the normal check in desks.

I didn't see potential dates but for a transfer of this sort in EWR, but especially in winter or mid-summer, I'd book at least several hours of connection time - EWR in just light wind can have delays, in a snowstorm or thunderstorm, delays can be huge. Even in the good time of year, on a single ticket I wont book EWR with less than a 2 hour connection - I would say at least 6 for something like yours.

Something else to note, didn't see your status, but do note as two separate tickets, you could be liable to pay bag fees to LY based on what they charge, and thento UA for their portion. So be prepared for that.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cafri
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware they can print luggage tags there - I thought they only scan the existing tag and send them on.
Well, the place where they scan and take your bags cannot do that. The United baggage desk where you need to go is about 50 feet past it. Can't miss it.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
How is that useful in a thread about checking a bag during a connection? OP seems to be on top of it
I would have thought very relevant.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I would have thought very relevant.
Depends on the risk tolerance of the traveler.

Given there are 8-9 daily flights from EWR to MCO, personally I would be okay traveling on the same day with separate tickets.

I am traveling to SYD later this year and have purchased separate tix on the domestic leg (EWR/LAX) and international portion (LAX/SYD). Why would I do this? Well, for starter, I have saved (at least) $4K-$6K. Anyway, I should have sufficient time for the transfer, but in case I don't make my domestic connection, I will just get on the next flight. No biggie.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:52 pm

UA is pretty good about putting people with missed connections on the next available flight. We had that happen a few times, and always got where we were going, just a bit later. So, I would give it a reasonable amount of transfer time (i.e. several hours, not cutting close to MCT) and let it be.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the useful information.

The travel will be on late July, so I assume no weather issues, but very crowded airport.

We should arrive on a early AM flight, usually they wait for immigration staff to arrive before the open the airplane doors, so maybe that would ease things a bit.

I am happy to hear there is a UA transfer desk in B - I really hope it will be staffed early morning.

As for luggage fees, these are included in the LY legs.
I know I'll have to pay for all domestic legs.

Based on your inputs (and my initial gut feeling), I plan to leave over 6 hours (arrive at 6:00am, leave at 12:45pm).

Originally Posted by br2k
UA is pretty good about putting people with missed connections on the next available flight. We had that happen a few times, and always got where we were going, just a bit later. So, I would give it a reasonable amount of transfer time (i.e. several hours, not cutting close to MCT) and let it be.
In case I miss the domestic leg - are you sure UA will place me on a later flight?
As far as I am aware, it is a no show that I should pay.
Is there anything I can do a few hours before the flight, to minimize costs (through the UA app or by calling UA)?
(let's say we arrive late, or I see at 9:00am that we are still stuck in the immigration)

Unfortunately I lost my Gold status in UA.
Will probably not get it back
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:22 am
Suspended

Sounds like you have adequate padding. UA may accommodate you if you no show but is under no obligation to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.