Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA ever have lower rates for seniors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2023, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: united miles

When I book online with UA they ask if pax is an "adult" or "senior." I have never noticed any difference in fares. Does anyone actually get a price break for being a senior?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I have not seen any price break for seniors either for my parents when I booked them or, more recently, for my wife and myself.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
They claim that they offer special fares for people aged 65+ in some markets: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...e/seniors.html

While we don’t offer senior discounts for all flights, we do for some.

I have never seen this when booking for the folks.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I have not seen any senior-only fares or discounts in the (entirely ex-US) markets that I've searched.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Never in the last 12 years I’ve ’qualified’ for that elusive discount.
SPN Lifer, Keystone and SFO777 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, AARP membership provides $65 off published coach/PE fares and $200 off J/F on British Airways flights ex-US. Oh, and you don’t have to be a senior, just an AARP member.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ember-benefits
happychic and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 2:02 pm

Yes they have, I just purchased one way tickets from Brazil to the US for Dec and both seniors (65+) and children under 11 were priced lower. The kids got a ~23% lower fare and the senior ~2% lower fare.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 2:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This question comes up occasional and for the past decade, there have been a few case. Often where one finds a child discount also.
Why does UA ask if a traveler is an Adult vs Senior? Do Senior Fares exist?

There was a premerger UA program for seniors that was discontinued with some controversy -- let's not rehash that here but see Helping UA meet its commitment to lifetime Silverwings members for the ugly details. Let's stay in the present for this thread.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 3:09 am

Programs: AC*SE • LH*SEN • BA*G • AA*EXP • MB*A • WOH*G • HH*G
I'm going a bit off topic here but in the UA app I think you do get a fixed % off if you're between 18-23 or 24.
There are routes restrictions, of course. It has to be UA metal and some (domestic) routes are not even eligible.
I would assume this is also the case for Sen discount?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 12:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jason77W
I'm going a bit off topic here but in the UA app I think you do get a fixed % off if you're between 18-23 or 24.
There are routes restrictions, of course. It has to be UA metal and some (domestic) routes are not even eligible.
I would assume this is also the case for Sen discount?
Not that anyone has been able to notice

The youth discount as its own FT thread, Young adult discounted travel
and UA web page https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-traveler.html
The Youth discount is only available on the app
SPN Lifer and Jason77W like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.