Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous year's thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs can only be earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements.
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2018 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Upfare the IAH to SFO leg to the next fare class.
You're unlikely to be able to upfare just a single leg; it would require breaking the fare there, and it is almost certain to be so much more expensive than simply upfaring the whole IAH-PEK fare.

Originally Posted by catahoulafriend
I’m not sure how to approach at this point. Modify the ticket to higher paying class? Eat dollars/miles for the upgrade? (which I would prefer not to do as I would have to spend) FWIW, I have upcoming travel to VCE 9/15-9/25, so I could potentially modify this ticket class as well. I’m not sure about the best approach. Advice?? Thank you!!
If you can convince an agent to allow you to upfare without charging a change fee -- you can ask about GG BUYUP, although that's mostly intended for changing to the next cabin -- you could potentially upfare your outbound. However, there's no guarantee that the upfare amount will be palatable. I did a sample check for some random dates, and the delta between the lowest (K) and next-lowest (L) was only $16 PQD, but the delta between L and the next lowest after that (T) was another $81 PQD.

If the buy-ups aren't attractive, or you can't get the agent to waive the change fee, just fly somewhere. :-) Come to AUS and get some barbecue, head to ORD for some pizza, or go to MSY for some cajun. Google Flights is your friend. Just make sure to avoid Basic Economy, as you won't get PQD for that.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
You're unlikely to be able to upfare just a single leg; it would require breaking the fare there, and it is almost certain to be so much more expensive than simply upfaring the whole IAH-PEK fare.
I hadn't considered the broken fare - good point. We'd have to see if perhaps the fare is already broken or not (not likely since it's mainline to mainline).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure if this would work, but you could try to get an agent to sell you an E+ seat on a short segment which is usually under $100. E+ seats count towards PQD but the website won’t let you buy them once you’re Gold.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Looking for an end of year mileage run/holiday that will earn about 5,000 miles (5,066) out of Washington, DC. Looking to travel the last week of December. It can be a same day turn, or a week long holiday. Any ideas?

Would like to spend under $400, there's no minimum PQD needed.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Question Looking for 18000 PQM

Hello, I still need 18000 PQM and have the ability to travel between 11/8 and 11/16.

Unfortunately, dont have money to just purchase some of the good business class fares from US to Asia but I see some very good IMHO economy class fares from BOS to PEK, BKK (under $800 USD roundtrip) and more expensive to HKG and TPE (around $1000 round trip).

I would really appreciate some help from you experts if there is a routing from BOS, NYC, or WAS for a quick trip (maximum 2-3 night stay at destination) for under $800 USD that would net 18000 PQM.

I thought maybe there would be some way to do this through PEK for around $700 USD but havent figured out a routing. Thanks for any help! Best, B
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Hello, I still need 18000 PQM and have the ability to travel between 11/8 and 11/16.

Unfortunately, dont have money to just purchase some of the good business class fares from US to Asia but I see some very good IMHO economy class fares from BOS to PEK, BKK (under $800 USD roundtrip) and more expensive to HKG and TPE (around $1000 round trip).

I would really appreciate some help from you experts if there is a routing from BOS, NYC, or WAS for a quick trip (maximum 2-3 night stay at destination) for under $800 USD that would net 18000 PQM.

I thought maybe there would be some way to do this through PEK for around $700 USD but havent figured out a routing. Thanks for any help! Best, B
You can also break it up over two trips. You can do BOS-PEK for under $500 during the time frame, which would earn you more than 14,600 PQM. Pick up a domestic R/T for the remaining PQM and budget.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Repooc17
You can also break it up over two trips. You can do BOS-PEK for under $500 during the time frame, which would earn you more than 14,600 PQM. Pick up a domestic R/T for the remaining PQM and budget.
Thanks, I had looked at that but was hoping to figure out a routing (e.g. BOS-IAD-SFO-PEK) that would net more PQM for similar pricing so I could get all the PQM needed in one trip.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Thanks, I had looked at that but was hoping to figure out a routing (e.g. BOS-IAD-SFO-PEK) that would net more PQM for similar pricing so I could get all the PQM needed in one trip.
If you don't mind spending a few miles in the middle of the trip:

11/11: BOS-IAH-NRT-SIN (dep 5:30 AM arr 12:40 AM 11/13)
11/15: MNL-GUM-NRT-IAH-ORD-BOS (dep 12:40 AM arr 5:13 PM)
$800.76 on ITA Matrix

Note: NRT-SIN and NRT-IAH are both operated by ANA; this itinerary also has a 30-minute connection at GUM. You can extend the connection at GUM to 40 minutes by taking the 10:30 PM flight via ROR -- no extra miles, though -- or, the 9:55 AM MNL-GUM nonstop will give you an overnight at GUM.

This should qualify for 100% PQMs -- it's an S fare outbound and an L fare on the return -- and it's about 23K miles. The only downside, of course, is that you'll need to get yourself from SIN to MNL, which will take miles or an Asian LCC.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 19, 2017 at 9:13 am Reason: clarity
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Just rechecked my Quest for Silver and it looks REALLY close but I am $24 short on PDQ. Already flying Business on the next flights so can't buy up to Economy Plus. I guess the only way to get those $24 is to take a flight before the end of the year, right????

Might not be worth it for what you get from Silver.

Just checking. SO CLOSE!!!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Just rechecked my Quest for Silver and it looks REALLY close but I am $24 short on PDQ. Already flying Business on the next flights so can't buy up to Economy Plus. I guess the only way to get those $24 is to take a flight before the end of the year, right????

Might not be worth it for what you get from Silver.

Just checking. SO CLOSE!!!
Assume you have already factored your upcoming flight in business into the calculation, I would send a note to UA and see what they can do for you about the last $24. The worst thing they can say is that you'd have to earn the $24.

If the above doesn't work, I would look to fly the cheapest UA flight in order to gain Silver. It sucks, I know.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:42 am

Yes, counting the upcoming flights. Not a lot of quick cheap flights out of Nashville. Will cost me about $300 to do a quick turn around to Chicago. Thanks so much for the quick reply! Appreciate it . . . .
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, counting the upcoming flights. Not a lot of quick cheap flights out of Nashville. Will cost me about $300 to do a quick turn around to Chicago. Thanks so much for the quick reply! Appreciate it . . . .
Same day turn to/from Houston (IAH) for less than $200 all in ($188.50); although on the way back, you would have to route through Mobile (MOB) and Chicago (ORD).

https://goo.gl/flights/ejjB
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:27 pm

WOW! Y'all are professionals! A little concerned about missing one of those return flights - haven't had much luck with the little jets. But it would certainly give me what I need. Pondering it now - THANK YOU!!!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
WOW! Y'all are professionals! A little concerned about missing one of those return flights - haven't had much luck with the little jets. But it would certainly give me what I need. Pondering it now - THANK YOU!!!
Also consider whether an incremental up-fare is possible on any remaining travel. Even in the forward cabin, on a wholly domestic itinerary you can change fares for often small sums of money. No guarantees they would waive the change fee, but if you explain your situation an agent might take pity.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:34 am

I performed a search here on the forum - but searching "PQD" actually yielded no threads.

What's the best thread on how to maximize PQD? Fares? Routes? Etc..

Context: Silver Member needing PQD to hit gold. Want to hit PQD biggest limiter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.