Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gogo Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Gogo Pricing

I normally just buy my internet on the plane. United sent an email this flight is serviced by Gogo (EWR-LAX) and buy in advance to save. $ 19.99 seemed high to me in advance. Does anyone know the regular price or have any tips. None of the promo codes I found when googling worked.

TIA
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
www.usmobile.com/wifi

$10 for 30 days of unlimited Gogo via Gogo's roaming partner iPass via a vendor called US Mobile selling a product that includes an iPass subscription.

Tips from my n=1 experience with the service so far:
1. This service ends up giving you a username & password for a vendor called "iPass". This is all you need to use Gogo wifi on a UA flight (you don't need to install their mobile app and it doesn't help).
2. What will happen is that you'll connect to the UA wifi network and go to the normal sign-up-and-pay flow to pay for wifi. Somewhere in here it will say "sign in to your Gogo account to use a pass!". Click that. Then there's a tab on the gogo sign in screen to sign in with one of their roaming partners (the only supported roaming partner is iPass). Type in your credentials there, and it should auth and sign you in to the gogo account then connect you to the Internet. I have screenshots of this whole flow because I hit some hiccups…
3. Tip -- be sure to write down your ipass username & password -- you'll need them to auth and won't have Internet access on the plane
4. If it doesn't work (i.e. it authenticates but then the wifi ssid connection suddenly dies and when you reconnect, it won't let you log in via iPass a second time and shows a cryptic error), just use Gogo's "Live chat" feature. Tell a support agent that it's broken and they'll give you a free pass for the flight. You'll need a Gogo account ,so maybe you should sign up for one of those ahead of time (they credited my Gogo free pass to an account with the same e-mail address as my iPass e-mail address).

This worked great for me and was better than the extortionate walk-up price offered on board a United Coast flight. I did burn about 5 min in support chat plus 15-20 min doing some futile low-level networking and higher-level application diagnostics. And I guess technically the service itself didn't work so much as the service recovery from Gogo because the service didn't work.
perkele likes this.

Last edited by mherdeg; Sep 9, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Wow, this is a great option. There's always something new to learn at Flyertalk!

On mainline UA, only the B752 w/ 28J uses GoGo. (UAX adds E170/175 and CR7.)

But the iPass website mentions Panasonic Avionics Corporation as a partner. So does this mean it can also work on aircraft with the Panasonic system? That would make this much more useful.

Even if this were the case, we would need to be able to tell which birds have Panasonic and which have Thales...which I have no idea.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wh6cto
But the iPass website mentions Panasonic Avionics Corporation as a partner. So does this mean it can also work on aircraft with the Panasonic system? That would make this much more useful.
Not on UA's implementation of the PAC kit.

Originally Posted by wh6cto
Even if this were the case, we would need to be able to tell which birds have Panasonic and which have Thales...which I have no idea.
The 737s and a few 753s have Thales. The p.s. 752s & RJs have Gogo. Everything else is PAC.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg
2. What will happen is that you'll connect to the UA wifi network and go to the normal sign-up-and-pay flow to pay for wifi. Somewhere in here it will say "sign in to your Gogo account to use a pass!". Click that. Then there's a tab on the gogo sign in screen to sign in with one of their roaming partners (the only supported roaming partner is iPass). Type in your credentials there, and it should auth and sign you in to the gogo account then connect you to the Internet. I have screenshots of this whole flow because I hit some hiccups…
3. Tip -- be sure to write down your ipass username & password -- you'll need them to auth and won't have Internet access on the plane
4. If it doesn't work (i.e. it authenticates but then the wifi ssid connection suddenly dies and when you reconnect, it won't let you log in via iPass a second time and shows a cryptic error), just use Gogo's "Live chat" feature. Tell a support agent that it's broken and they'll give you a free pass for the flight. You'll need a Gogo account ,so maybe you should sign up for one of those ahead of time (they credited my Gogo free pass to an account with the same e-mail address as my iPass e-mail address).
mherdeg, do you know if one's USMobile Username and Password are the same as one's iPass UN & PW? I set up my account a month ago and have already forgotten if I even created an iPass UN & PW or if USMobile forwards your USMobile login info to iPass. I do know that my password file indicates identical credentials for both USMobile & iPass.

The reason I ask is because I was on a United Express flight today which had Gogo Inflight, and I did what you suggested in #2 above. I entered what I had on file as my iPass UN & PW, which resulted in the Capcha page. I entered the Capcha, but the next page was an error which simply stated in plain text, "Sorry, Page not found!! Redirect??" The URL of the error page was from the airborne.gogoinflight.com domain. I did not think to contact inflight tech support, but it was a short flight anyway.

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TrAAvis
mherdeg, do you know if one's USMobile Username and Password are the same as one's iPass UN & PW? I set up my account a month ago and have already forgotten if I even created an iPass UN & PW or if USMobile forwards your USMobile login info to iPass. I do know that my password file indicates identical credentials for both USMobile & iPass.

The reason I ask is because I was on a United Express flight today which had Gogo Inflight, and I did what you suggested in #2 above. I entered what I had on file as my iPass UN & PW, which resulted in the Capcha page. I entered the Capcha, but the next page was an error which simply stated in plain text, "Sorry, Page not found!! Redirect??" The URL of the error page was from the airborne.gogoinflight.com domain. I did not think to contact inflight tech support, but it was a short flight anyway.

Thanks!
I had that happen twice last week as well. They were shorter flights so I just sighed and let it be.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..This worked great for me and was better than the extortionate walk-up price offered on board a United Coast flight...
This is beyond brilliant ^^^.

Do you happen to know if that works on intl flights and/or transoceanic flights?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by weero
... Do you happen to know if that works on intl flights and/or transoceanic flights?
See the earlier discussion (3 posts back), does not appear the system that UA uses for the majority of aircraft (Panasonic) is included. Just the GoGo system used on UX and the sUA PS aircraft.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
See the earlier discussion (3 posts back), does not appear the system that UA uses for the majority of aircraft (Panasonic) is included. Just the GoGo system used on UX and the sUA PS aircraft.
Not exactly. Panasonic is supported but UA's implementation of the PAC system is not. Fly on AA across the ocean using the PAC kit and the iPass credentials work great.

Short version is that it depends on how the airline and the service provider structure their contract to handle setting price and revenue sharing and other factors.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
www.usmobile.com/wifi

$10 for 30 days of unlimited Gogo via Gogo's roaming partner iPass via a vendor called US Mobile selling a product that includes an iPass subscription.

Tips from my n=1 experience with the service so far:
1. This service ends up giving you a username & password for a vendor called "iPass". This is all you need to use Gogo wifi on a UA flight (you don't need to install their mobile app and it doesn't help).

This worked great for me and was better than the extortionate walk-up price offered on board a United Coast flight. I did burn about 5 min in support chat plus 15-20 min doing some futile low-level networking and higher-level application diagnostics. And I guess technically the service itself didn't work so much as the service recovery from Gogo because the service didn't work.
SFO->BOS pmUA 752, had the failure. Used on-line support who verified I had purchased the service, and received the "free pass" for the flight. Not too painful. Worth it for $10 for the entire month on these birds -- I have four flights in the next 30 days.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TrAAvis

Thanks!
that sounds like more of a generic error then a specific UN/pass error. Usually those tell you that the credentials don't match and allow you to try again or reset.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not exactly. Panasonic is supported but UA's implementation of the PAC system is not. Fly on AA across the ocean using the PAC kit and the iPass credentials work great.

Short version is that it depends on how the airline and the service provider structure their contract to handle setting price and revenue sharing and other factors.
Which is a bummer, just like you can't use the free hour of GoGo for T-mobile customers that I'm pretty sure every other Us carrier with GoGo supports. T-mobile doesn't even seem to admit this - just that you get it on US carriers but nothing indicating UA/UAX is excluded.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Which is a bummer, just like you can't use the free hour of GoGo for T-mobile customers that I'm pretty sure every other Us carrier with GoGo supports. T-mobile doesn't even seem to admit this - just that you get it on US carriers but nothing indicating UA/UAX is excluded.
Oddly enough, even though there is no sign in option for T-Mobile on the United flights, I have found that within 15-20 of takeoff, it ALWAYS starts working for free for me anyways for texting and iMessage.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Oddly enough, even though there is no sign in option for T-Mobile on the United flights, I have found that within 15-20 of takeoff, it ALWAYS starts working for free for me anyways for texting and iMessage.
Interesting. Will have to try it out next time I'm on a gogo united flight.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by distrips
I normally just buy my internet on the plane. United sent an email this flight is serviced by Gogo (EWR-LAX) and buy in advance to save. $ 19.99 seemed high to me in advance. Does anyone know the regular price or have any tips. None of the promo codes I found when googling worked.

TIA
Actually it's not high relative to the on board price. I forgot to purchase the in advance offer last 2 trips, and EWR-LAX gogo internet on board price was 33.95 the first time and 39.95 the last time.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
never seen that on a flight with GoGo. This almost always happens on 737 flights, IME. Was iMessaging much of flight 582 last week (YYZ-ORD, but we were diverted to STL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.