Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Frustrated by the CPU sweeps -- UA should upgrade everyone at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrated by the CPU sweeps -- UA should upgrade everyone at the gate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by helvetic
I was flying SEA-SFO booked in Y
Ta da!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Ta da!
If you book last min and you want first, book an first seat.

I like early upgrades for 1k, I dislike early upgrades for gold but at least we all get the benefit rather than none. If we did at gate, it would definitely change my mind on what to pack/carry on. I like to know I can check two bags for free early. I like the time to be able to pick window or isle if availability allows in First. I would hate to have it clear on the plane (boarding class 1) when I already have my carry on secured in a spot to find out the F cabin luggage area is full. I can't just leave my bag or put it 10 rows back! I'd hate to wait at gate when the guy tells me I am probably upgrading, so please wait to board till I can clear it. If it clears or doesn't you run the risk of losing luggage space due to late boarding (one time it cleared boarding group 4 and there was pretty much no space left. That was not a first class experience).

There's a lot of small benefits to upgrading early - something I rather all status have rather than none. Also - it helps open up eco space in case for stranded people and cheaper flights for people who may be joining last min.

Not trying to sound mean btw, just my opinions
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
+1 for bringing back e500 certs along with YBM instant UG for 1K.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
How did those e500 certs work? Haven't been 1K long enough (~4 years or so) to remember them.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
How did those e500 certs work? Haven't been 1K long enough (~4 years or so) to remember them.
Went away pre merger when UA went to CPU (PMCO term IIRC, don't recall what PMUA called it).

My one and only use was HNL-DEN into domestic FC seat on 777. Much nicer ride than redeye coach
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You got something like 4 e500s for every 10K BIS miles traveled; then, you applied however many you needed for the flight you wanted to take. SFO-AUS is 1499 miles, so it would take 3.

On elite-heavy routes, I have serious doubts that this would help at all -- take a look at the "RPUs and GPUs are useless" thread and then imagine throwing e500s in there too. The "problem," such as it is, is normally that UA has found a way to sell its F seats, so it's not inclined to give them away. On non-elite-heavy routes, this would limit people's upgrade chances to 20% of all flying; my personal clearance rate was better than that at Platinum, let alone 1K.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:51 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Got it. I think I still like the current CPU system, flaws and all, better than that e500 concept.

Btw -- sitting in the back of an almost empty 739 LAX SFO today again. Switched into it last minute after they'd cleared the entire list into the cabin.

On the upside, this flight is so empty that I've got an economy-plus lie-flat seat, i.e. the entire row to myself.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

On the upside, this flight is so empty that I've got an economy-plus lie-flat seat, i.e. the entire row to myself.
Poor man's Biz.

Enjoy, in my 20+ years of flying I can count my row to myself on fingers of one hand.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jsloan
You got something like 4 e500s for every 10K BIS miles traveled; then, you applied however many you needed for the flight you wanted to take. SFO-AUS is 1499 miles, so it would take 3.

On elite-heavy routes, I have serious doubts that this would help at all -- take a look at the "RPUs and GPUs are useless" thread and then imagine throwing e500s in there too. The "problem," such as it is, is normally that UA has found a way to sell its F seats, so it's not inclined to give them away. On non-elite-heavy routes, this would limit people's upgrade chances to 20% of all flying; my personal clearance rate was better than that at Platinum, let alone 1K.
E500's rocked, even as a silver, or rather Premier as we were called at the time. You could buy them at a discounted rate for $200/4, or $250/4 if you didn't have status. I sat in first everytime I wanted to. I miss it, as it was a good system and gave lower level elites a chance, whenever they wanted it.

If UA brought them back, I would be the first to celebrate.
Markie likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
If UA brought them back, I would be the first to celebrate.
$200 for 2K miles in first class isn't much cheaper than the current going rate for most differential first class buy-ups.

The biggest contributor to low upgrade rates isn't CPUs or even TODs. It's differential first class pricing cutting the cost of paid first considerably.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
$200 for 2K miles in first class isn't much cheaper than the current going rate for most differential first class buy-ups.

The biggest contributor to low upgrade rates isn't CPUs or even TODs. It's differential first class pricing cutting the cost of paid first considerably.
Difference is you had to make an ounce of effort if you wanted first class. The system worked. I sat in first regardless of status every time I wanted to. And I earned more RPU's once I reached 1K compared to now. Looking back, my seat mates were similar to me. Now it's often someone that realized the cost of upgrading paid for checked bags. United selling first for cheap to a non status flyer that was going to pay for checked bags anyway is insulting frequent flyers.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Difference is you had to make an ounce of effort if you wanted first class. The system worked. I sat in first regardless of status every time I wanted to. And I earned more RPU's once I reached 1K compared to now. Looking back, my seat mates were similar to me. Now it's often someone that realized the cost of upgrading paid for checked bags. United selling first for cheap to a non status flyer that was going to pay for checked bags anyway is insulting frequent flyers.
You can still do that exactly as jsloan described. Just pay the differential and you'll be up front when you want.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
This, plus the unavailablity of upgrade space.

I recently had a choice for BWI-MCO:

10cpm in Econ rolling the dice at PN0 R0, or
10cpm in First (w/ one leg in lay-flat).

Didn't take much thought to give UA the extra $200 for First.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
You were awarded 4 500 mile upgrade certs if you were an elite for every 10K miles you flew on UA.

You could use them on North American and very few other select routes, one ug to upgrade 500 miles of a flight with a grace of some 30 miles IIRC. So a 525 miles flight could be uged for one cert, a 700 miles segment needed 2.
You had to apply them and they would clear with a time window like CPUs.

If you did not use them, they'd expire after 1 year into 500 RDM.

Oh sweet memories.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by wh6cto
10cpm in Econ rolling the dice at PN0 R0, or
10cpm in First (w/ one leg in lay-flat).

Didn't take much thought to give UA the extra $200 for First.
Which extra 200 USD???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.