Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exact time of flight cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
1. OP departed from the EU. Therefore UA's "duty of care" under EC 261/2004 applied. It includes hotels & food. While I doubt that UA will cover 4 days because it likely would have returned OP to the UK via one service or another, at least the first 1-2 nights will be covered. So long as OP's expenses are documented with receipts and submitted with his claim under the Regulation, he should not have any issue in reimbursement. The balance will be covered by his travel insurance.
Yes, except that US carriers, UA included, often protest this as the flight from the EU to the USA wasn't affected. Getting that resolved can be challenging.

3. UA's "Trip in Vain" provision would have had OP returned to BHX in short order if he had wanted to. UA would have refunded the ticket as well. All on request.
If dealing with an agent who is unfamiliar with TIV ask them to refer to "GG FUTILE TRIP" in their systems. The rules and processes are fully documented there. IME one typically gets returned home, refunded and earns the points for the segments flown, though I wouldn't try to claim retro-credit if they don't post and the refund is issued.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
A lot of really poor information in this thread.

1. OP departed from the EU. Therefore UA's "duty of care" under EC 261/2004 applied. It includes hotels & food. While I doubt that UA will cover 4 days because it likely would have returned OP to the UK via one service or another, at least the first 1-2 nights will be covered. So long as OP's expenses are documented with receipts and submitted with his claim under the Regulation, he should not have any issue in reimbursement. The balance will be covered by his travel insurance.

2. UA does not stop people from boarding their flights because they may misconnect. There are just as many people who would complain bitterly if that had happened in this same situation (although the catastrophic nature of the Houston situation is not the ordinary case). UA has multiple systems which people may check and had a weather waiver in place well before the actual cancellation took place. Passengers have an obligation to do some checking rather than have carriers direct them.

3. UA's "Trip in Vain" provision would have had OP returned to BHX in short order if he had wanted to. UA would have refunded the ticket as well. All on request.
Thanks for the information about trip in vain I wasn't aware of it. I wish I had known about that looking back.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, except that US carriers, UA included, often protest this as the flight from the EU to the USA wasn't affected. Getting that resolved can be challenging.

If dealing with an agent who is unfamiliar with TIV ask them to refer to "GG FUTILE TRIP" in their systems. The rules and processes are fully documented there. IME one typically gets returned home, refunded and earns the points for the segments flown, though I wouldn't try to claim retro-credit if they don't post and the refund is issued.
As OP is a UK resident, he has access to the MCOL process. Effectively small claims court by mail. Even contested hearings, if it ever gets to that, are done telephonically in the UK.

Even if the onward delay were due to something within UA's control and not "extraordinary" UA would have an argument to make, as it is undecided whether delay compensation applies when the xEU segment is not delayed, as it was not, we presume, here.

But, "duty of care" is not the same. It applies in all circumstances until OP gets to his final ticketed destination, e.g. IAH or is returned to BHX.

To be fair, we don't know why OP was headed to IAH. It became rapidly clear that there was a catastrophic situation in Houston and that IAH would not reopen for days. Even if one could be rerouted to AUS, it is unclear that unless one is a rescue worker, what the point of sticking around was.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
A lot of really poor information in this thread.

2. UA does not stop people from boarding their flights because they may misconnect. There are just as many people who would complain bitterly if that had happened in this same situation (although the catastrophic nature of the Houston situation is not the ordinary case). UA has multiple systems which people may check and had a weather waiver in place well before the actual cancellation took place. Passengers have an obligation to do some checking rather than have carriers direct them.
I think UA will OFTEN prevent you from flying on a flight where they know you will miss your connection and it is their fault because if those cases they have to pay for meals, hotel, etc..

Obviously weather delay is different.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by slickvik
It's just a bit odd that UA waited so late to cancel with other airlines like SQ and BA were much more proactive
UA operated their flights as they could, and got a lot of people in/out of Houston as a result. They also have flights a fraction of the length of SQ/BA at Houston.

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Long haul international is completely different...
Unless you're EVA, EVA always seems to try, and arrived Houston 9a on the 27th. But EVA is also the one who tried to fly into Sandy and ended up diverting to Canada after circling northern NY for a bit.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by docbert
Delayed for what reason? If it was for something like weather where they aren't responsible for the delay then this is probably just the new equivalent of their "distressed passenger" rate/discount they did previously.

If it was a delay where they would have previously provided a hotel then that's... umm... interesting...
The 'delay' was equipment related. Said AC started the day 90 minutes late and held that timing during it's several runs (IAD-RDU). What cranked me up was that when I checked in at @ 100 minutes prior to departure said flight was posted 'ON TIME".

Correct! "UA does not stop people from boarding their flights because they may misconnect."
You the flyer or in my case me (Non IAH - Non weather), must be proactive! You need to know what your alternatives are or you are at the mercy of the system.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2017 at 11:16 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Collierkr
I think UA will OFTEN prevent you from flying on a flight where they know you will miss your connection and it is their fault because if those cases they have to pay for meals, hotel, etc..

Obviously weather delay is different.
Based on what?

If they can reroute you from point of origin before you board, I'll accept that, but if not, wouldn't they be responsible for costs regardless of whether it's at the originating or connecting point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.