Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Well I'm an Idiot, I dawdled and Missed my Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Please allow me to confess my sins and be absolved

My first time in 15 years of frequent travel doing this. My girlfriend and I were flying on the 2:49 PM RDU-EWR flight. We got to the airport at 2:05 PM and after getting through security at 2:10 we decided we had time to hit the Admirals Club for a drink. We walked down to the gate at 2:30 and I had to make a stop to pick something up. We arrived at 2:36 PM and the door was already shut. The BPs we had said the gate closed at 2:34 PM so this is obviously 100% on me. The worst part was watching the jetway being pulled back at 2:39 PM and the plane leave six minutes early at 2:43 PM.

Of all the times I've sat on a plane waiting to go, all the times there have been delays, all the times etc. etc. this was the one time in my life a plane was pushed back quickly. As I said in the subject line...I'm an idiot. Thanks for listening.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Gosh and think if you had missed your flight just a few months ago you could have taken RDU-LGA. Hope you made it there eventually!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Gosh and think if you had missed your flight just a few months ago you could have taken RDU-LGA. Hope you made it there eventually!
Thankfully I was able to get rebooked on the 4 PM flight so it won't cost me too much time. Though in terms of self respect and dignity...I'm running a deficit.
ajGoes, Dublin_rfk, nlkm9 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
A friend of mine was connecting in LAX after a flight from Europe. He arrived at gate plenty of time after clearing immigration, custom, and security. Too much time as he dozed off while waiting for his flight at the gate. When he woke up the plane has already left. He was re-booked on another flight arriving home few hours later than originally scheduled.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: United Gold
Only time I've ever done it was a similar story. About 15 years ago, flying US PIT-CLT-SFO (it was cheaper than flying nonstop and my wife was coming along).

Our itinerary had a roughly one hour layover. But for some forgotten reason, our PIT-CLT flight took off like 25 minutes late. Also circled a little and so we landed almost 30 minutes late.

I don't know if its still there, but there was a Krispy Kreme donuts in the food court in the middle of the airport, and we had pre-planned to go there knowing we had an hour to kill. We also knew our connecting gates were across from each other. Without thinking about the now much tighter connection, we walked up the concourse to get some donuts, sat to eat them, and then leisurely walked back to the gate and found.. the closed door.

We also got lucky and got rebooked through SAN - which was leaving in 2 minutes from when we got there - and luckily it too was only a gate away as the desk agent yelled "just put them on I am making it all official".

Downside is we lost our F seats. Oh well.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by hscottm
Only time I've ever done it was a similar story. About 15 years ago, flying US PIT-CLT-SFO (it was cheaper than flying nonstop and my wife was coming along).

Our itinerary had a roughly one hour layover. But for some forgotten reason, our PIT-CLT flight took off like 25 minutes late. Also circled a little and so we landed almost 30 minutes late.

I don't know if its still there, but there was a Krispy Kreme donuts in the food court in the middle of the airport, and we had pre-planned to go there knowing we had an hour to kill. We also knew our connecting gates were across from each other. Without thinking about the now much tighter connection, we walked up the concourse to get some donuts, sat to eat them, and then leisurely walked back to the gate and found.. the closed door.

We also got lucky and got rebooked through SAN - which was leaving in 2 minutes from when we got there - and luckily it too was only a gate away as the desk agent yelled "just put them on I am making it all official".

Downside is we lost our F seats. Oh well.
I heard Krisy Kreme donuts can be addictive....

Hope it was worth it.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I heard Krisy Kreme donuts can be addictive....

Hope it was worth it.
Krispy Kreme donuts only good for 1st 30 minutes or so when they are warm. After that might as well just eat a spoonful of sugary lard.
cawhite, Randyk47 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Wink

Yikes.

So.....................
Now you have additional time to------>

Originally Posted by CMK10
.........hit the Admirals Club for a drink.
Safe Travels,
CMK10
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've come close to missing 2 flights due to confusing Departure time with Boarding time.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My son, I absolve you. Go and sin no more.

I just need six hail Oscars.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by Baze
After that might as well just eat a spoonful of sugary lard.
You say that like that is a bad thing.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Love this thread! Brought a smile to my face (well actually I laughed out loud at a couple). Two instances for me:

1. My first flight with my new employer (and only been with them for a week) in 1989, I rock up for my SYD-MEL flight at 8am for an 8.20am flight, to be informed it was not a train!

They put me on the 9am flight. This was in the day when there was Ansett in Australia and all my previous flights had been vacation flights that I arrived 3 hours early at the airport because my dad wants to ensure that leeway. I was 26 (in 1989) at the time this occurred and never made the mistake on my weekly SYD-MEL-SYD flights for the next seven years. Although would valet park and run in with 30 minutes to spare as this was the allowed time from Valet parking (at the time) and Valet parking would tell them I was on my way. :-)

2. Coming from from Atlantis (Bahamas) in 2008 with my ten year old son we had to overnight in MIA so mosey on from the hotel to the airport to find the flight had already left. Apparently I had misread the time of the departure by one hour, and of course I would rather spend time at the hotel than sitting around an airport (the one time my dad's advice to arrive three hours before a flight would have been great!). Someone scored two seats in F for the missed flight. Fortunately we were able to get on a flight a few hours later but there was nothing in F available. My son just looked at me and said, "But Mum you fly all the time how did you get it so wrong?" Indeed!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
So you gonna sue yourself?
Bear4Asian and Billiken like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dawdled? I believe the correct terminology in RDU is "lollygagged".

jsloan and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
hahaha oh man. I've come close a few times because I wasn't paying enough attention to the boarding time vs. departure time tags on the boarding pass.

I often take the early flight out, my great fear is always falling asleep at the gate prior to boarding and missing flight.

hasn't happened. yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.