Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduced PQM's on many UA partner (TK,SAS,OZ) flights after 8/1/17

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

Seems that many of United Partners now offer 50% PQM's in most economy class for flights flown after 8/1/17. (was 100% before). Purchased a ticket in May for SaS to Finland and at that time, terms were still 100% but checked and only received 50%. Big shift in how i'll use the Star Alliance now. Just making others aware.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Do you have some examples of changes effective on the August 1 date?

A couple of the airlines I checked have not changed recently. (TG, BR).
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Sas, Turkish

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=306

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=317

Thai Airways changed in April 17'

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=305
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks

Turkish and SAS aren't usually on my radar, though I was aware of Thai.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:11 pm

Asiana too:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...spx?ItemId=303
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Okay... what? I booked a ticket last month on OZ, and I swear the earnings page had neither of those values at the time. My memory says that V and W earned 70% PQM and 0 PQS, and my receipt shows 532 PQM for GMP-HND (gcmap: 736sm). This is some stealthy devaluing Fortunately the rest of the trip is UA metal.. shows me to stick with JV partners!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Barely matters for those qualifying for 1K or those who don't have a PQD waiver since for some reason United is the only airline that places almost zero value in 95% of its partners:

No mileage bonuses outside of a couple airlines. DL and AA both offer them on most partners

No PQD means you will still need to spend a ton on United which in turn will get you the PQM you need. Partner flying for United status means almost zilch , especially if going for 1K
ok2uselane likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Okay... what? I booked a ticket last month on OZ, and I swear the earnings page had neither of those values at the time. My memory says that V and W earned 70% PQM and 0 PQS, and my receipt shows 532 PQM for GMP-HND (gcmap: 736sm). This is some stealthy devaluing Fortunately the rest of the trip is UA metal.. shows me to stick with JV partners!
I agree, I don't have anything booked, but SK was earning 150% on Y+/J, now it says 100% on both lists.
reinballe likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by aero0729
Barely matters for those qualifying for 1K or those who don't have a PQD waiver since for some reason United is the only airline that places almost zero value in 95% of its partners:

No mileage bonuses outside of a couple airlines. DL and AA both offer them on most partners

No PQD means you will still need to spend a ton on United which in turn will get you the PQM you need. Partner flying for United status means almost zilch , especially if going for 1K
It all depends on the type of tickets you buy. My spouse has 6k PQD but only 21k PQM so far this year. She buys exclusively refundable tickets, usually without much notice -- E is by far her most common fare class, sometimes A or B. For some people, PQD is not the hard part. If you ask me, they should just drop PQM entirely. I'm less extreme, but I'll still hit 1k this year just barely making the PQM but going way past PQD.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aero0729
since for some reason United is the only airline that places almost zero value in 95% of its partners
95%? How did you get that figure?

All the JV partners offer earnings that are roughly comparable to what you would get on UA metal. I've flown a bunch of LH Group operated P and Z fares this year, all of which accrued at 200% PQM.

DL's earning structure for partner flights is similarly hierarchical, with excellent earnings on some carriers (AF, KL) and virtually nothing on others (CI, KE).

The place where UA falls behind DL and AA is not awarding PQD on partner ticketed flights.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I agree, I don't have anything booked, but SK was earning 150% on Y+/J, now it says 100% on both lists.
I flew SK business (Z class) on Aug 9 and earned 150% miles and 150% PQM just like before Aug 1. Both intra Europe and transatlantic on that day.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Kacee
The place where UA falls behind DL and AA is not awarding PQD on partner ticketed flights.
Completely agree, and with more travel on partners this year, obtaining 12K PQD on UA will be a challenge for me this year. Easily earned 12K PQD on AA because of some generous partner values on J tickets.
ok2uselane likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
agreed, this stinks. Deceptive, incorrect and just what gets UA a bad reputation. That being said SK was pretty much one of the last non-JV partners which earned more than 100% on premium fares so I am not surprised.
Makes sense for UA to give 200% on the JV partners and 100% everywhere else to entice you to book JV ... which sure works on my case ... often nice fares on TK or SQ to Europe, but at 100% vs. 200% I usually don't book them.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:12 pm

We recently flew to South Africa; two legs of the flight were on United, 3 legs on South African. The SA flights are just now being credited, and they are coming in at 50% of what the email receipt we got from United showed our accrual for PQMs would be. The United web page also says that our fare (W) on SAA will earn 50% of the miles.

Did that get changed after August 1 (our flights were after August 1)? Or did the receipt from United simply mislead us? (I thought I'd checked the United web page before I booked, but I can't honestly say I remember.)
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mmthomps
We recently flew to South Africa; two legs of the flight were on United, 3 legs on South African. The SA flights are just now being credited, and they are coming in at 50% of what the email receipt we got from United showed our accrual for PQMs would be. The United web page also says that our fare (W) on SAA will earn 50% of the miles.

Did that get changed after August 1 (our flights were after August 1)? Or did the receipt from United simply mislead us? (I thought I'd checked the United web page before I booked, but I can't honestly say I remember.)
Wayback (https://archive.org/web/) shows the SAA's PQM earnings for W fare has been 50% for at least 2 years back. Never trust the mileage earning for partners on ticket receipts -- they can be wrong in either direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.